advertisement

Room treatment q

It depends on two things:

1) What's causing the 50Hz peak? Is it an axial room mode? If it is, what dimension is causing it? If it's the length dimension then yes, locating it on the wall behind the speakers is appropriate. However, note that pressure-based treatment is most effective when placed hard against the wall, while velocity-based treatment is most effective when placed well away from the wall. It is not made explicitly clear whether the Sound Block is pressure- or velocity-based, however given that it has high levels of absorption all the way up to high frequencies it's more likely to be the latter. Or it could be a combination of the two (porous absorption in front of a pressure-activated membrane).

2) Does the Sound Block have adequate absorption at 50Hz? According to GIK's data it's only 36% effective at 50Hz compared to 60Hz and upwards. If you're looking for max horse power at 50Hz and 50Hz is your only problem then I think a custom-tuned GIK Scopus would be better. Depending on how bad your 50Hz peak and ringing is, you may need more units than you expect. GIK recommend starting with 8 Scopus units to make a significant improvement, which is quite an investment both in terms of cost and space. Also note that once you begin adding solid boxes to your room, which is effectively what a Scopus trap is, you are changing the shape of the room and frequencies that have a wavelength shorter than the longest dimension of a Scopus box (or multiple Scopus boxes, if you decide to stack them next to each other) are going to be reflected/diffracted and this will likely cause peaks and nulls in your frequency response that weren't there before. There's no free lunch I'm afraid!...

Thanks TOTO! sounds like I should chat to them. I can’t answer all your questions as I don’t have enough experience.

advertisement

Back