advertisement

Roksan Blak CD Player

No need to be sorry.She died some years ago. He doesn’t want it. He just questions his decisions. He’s a very generous man from Persian descent. He values family over all.
We all value family eventually...some cultures figured out family comes first a very long time ago..but with this new social media culture, maybe that's the new family? Horrible thought..

If I appeared to diss your cd player,? I'm sorry it wasnt my intention...if however your cd player gives up the ghost? You are welcome to mine, free of charge..I see two benefits..firstly I will have some space in my loft and you will be happy again! So maybe this roksan is the gift that gave? It never gave much to me! But possibly ( quite possibly lol ) in the future , it might give you some happiness..cool

No offence taken, just offering my personal experience of Roksan product, as you were. I have a K2 CD with K2 Integrated amp and K2 Power amp and am very happy with the sound I get from CD, vinyl (LP12) and streamer (SBT.) This replaced an old Arcam CDP and Marantz amp. In the end its as much about one's own budget and sanity as to choices for our hi-fi, but right now I don't have an upgrade itch to scratch on my CD playback. If one of these items broke down irreparably I would be back in the demo rooms listening for something similar in enjoyment level that I can afford and justify to myself (assuming one day we can do this again!) And if I found you lived nearby I'd very happily take a spare free K2 CDP from your loft to be a spare stored in my loft though!

No offence taken, just offering my personal experience of Roksan product, as you were. I have a K2 CD with K2 Integrated amp and K2 Power amp and am very happy with the sound I get from CD, vinyl (LP12) and streamer (SBT.) This replaced an old Arcam CDP and Marantz amp. In the end its as much about one's own budget and sanity as to choices for our hi-fi, but right now I don't have an upgrade itch to scratch on my CD playback. If one of these items broke down irreparably I would be back in the demo rooms listening for something similar in enjoyment level that I can afford and justify to myself (assuming one day we can do this again!) And if I found you lived nearby I'd very happily take a spare free K2 CDP from your loft to be a spare stored in my loft though!

It sounds like we have a similar journey.

I went from an Audiolab 8000a amplifier ( new in 1994 I think) to the Roksan K3 amp not many years ago.
Been running an Arcam Alpha 9 for many years, which sounds good, but I think there is more to be heard hence dipping my toe into the Roksan Blak cd player.
I might have had the Roksan K3 cd player last year, but demoed it in the Richer Sounds store and didn’t get moved by it. If I could have trailed it at home, I bet it would have been a potential sale, with time to listen properly in my room. (Richer Sounds didn’t have my speakers to compare on the demo at their store)
Anyhoo, I have things ongoing. :)

I think freedom is getting closer.i so need a haircut! My problem is sadly I heard my mates cyrus cd player and i was ruined! So now like that bloke in the ancient mariner, I have to stop one in three or two in one or one on nine! And relate my sorry tale..

He often buys some quite lovely things and we are often the beneficiaries of his cast offs. The last cast of was a B&O Beovision TV, a quite beautiful thing that we would never afford or buy.
I'm guessing you're talking about a newer flat panel Beovision, but I still drool a bit when I see the 90's CRT ones. Nobody else could make a CRT TV sexy (IMO) like B&O. One of these:

716027.jpg

A few years ago we stayed overnight in an older hotel in Iceland (layover) and every room had one of these TVs in it, along with the heavy aluminum remote with the see through display. I would love to have one of these in a room with some Beovox RL2000s and a Beosystem 4500 on the wall. I'd love that...

320941.jpg

f055c345-f2d7-4063-b4bd-2b350cde6339.jpg

(Sorry for the tangent)

I'm guessing you're talking about a newer flat panel Beovision, but I still drool a bit when I see the 90's CRT ones. Nobody else could make a CRT TV sexy (IMO) like B&O. One of these:

716027.jpg

A few years ago we stayed overnight in an older hotel in Iceland (layover) and every room had one of these TVs in it, along with the heavy aluminum remote with the see through display. I would love to have one of these in a room with some Beovox RL2000s and a Beosystem 4500 on the wall. I'd love that...

320941.jpg

f055c345-f2d7-4063-b4bd-2b350cde6339.jpg

(Sorry for the tangent)
Gorgeous. No. Beovision 11 46 inch with lovely sound bar. It is great.

@Big Tabs did the Blak player arrive? If so, any thoughts yet? :)

Yes, and yes.

It is doing what we required.

It plays all my small selection of slightly grotty looking c.d’s with no effort.
I like the huge readout.
It is very quiet.
The soundstage (insert whatever term) is wide and deep.
The detail is past what I have ever heard before.
I keep hearing things I have never heard before on tunes I know well.
The Wife and Daughter have been positive.

The c.d. tray sounds like a tractor when retracting.
It is a big lump - I quite like that, but I would have made the buttons less shiny.
You cannot skip through a track to find a specific point, it is the whole tune or nowt (this is probably me missing something really obvious, or the facility doesn’t exist on this c.d. player.
It isn’t cheap.

So far the biggest positive is that it sounds worth listening to, compared to my usual listening format = record player.

I have tried it on many different styles of music, and it does it all.
It doesn’t correct bad production, it points it out with a big stick.
The detail is very noticeable.

5 year guarantee... (Manufacturer)

I am not one to buy stuff unless it does something better than I can notice very quickly.

A few more days of demo left.

Hello @Big Tabs did you keep the Roksan Blak CDP at the end? Any update / final thoughts on your opinion back in March? Aprreciate your reply!

Hello.
Purchased the c.d. player a few months ago.

The c.d. drawer mechanism is now smooth.
Everyone likes the large digital display. (it can be dimmed or made brighter)
The requirement to flick through tracks rather than have numbered buttons on the device or remote control doesn’t bother me.
It is large and makes the other HiFi separates look small :) - not a problem.

It has been fussy about playing a disc twice, and that was once a clean but heavily marked c.d. and also a clean unmarked c.d. Then it played the unmarked c.d. no problem.
Note - we purchased the demo unit, so it may need a service/lazer head clean ??
It has only been fussy a couple of times, so had no need as of yet.

The sound is really nice.
Soundstage (whatever you want to call it) is wonderful. Cliche, but we have heard things that we haven’t noticed before. Detail is extreme, but with no harshness. The least c.d. player sounding c.d. player I have ever heard - if that makes sense. All instruments have their own place and are surrounded by quiet.
Worth noting that I play most types of music, from Nailbomb to Mahler - Kraftwerk to Dolly Parton.

We spent quite a while considering the purchase of the Blak, as it ain’t cheap. The home demo swung the deal as it transformed c.d’s into music in such a great way.
I listen to my Stereo for 6 - 8 hours most days, so in terms of usage the c.d. player gets a run most days (until the Blak arrived I played just vinyl) and I didn’t keep any c.d’s in the Music room until it arrived.

To complicate matters (in a good way :)) @linnfomaniac83 did some special magic stuff with my old Arcam Alpha 9 c.d. player. This now sounds better than it ever did, and plays everything.
The Daughter and I spent hours playing off the modded Arcam against the Blak. They are both good, but the Black has more detail and the soundstage is preferable.

I am really glad we got the c.d. player, it sits nicely in sound quality terms with my record player.
(Heybrook TT2s - the one with the cast alloy Keel before that was invented, Heed offboard PSU and Origin Live arm and Ortofon 2m Black through an Arkless Turbo.)

I have started buying c.d’s again.

If you have the opportunity to home demo a Blak then go for it! Richer Sounds were very helpful,
I guess other sellers will be obliging.

Hello.
Purchased the c.d. player a few months ago.

The c.d. drawer mechanism is now smooth.
Everyone likes the large digital display. (it can be dimmed or made brighter)
The requirement to flick through tracks rather than have numbered buttons on the device or remote control doesn’t bother me.
It is large and makes the other HiFi separates look small :) - not a problem.

It has been fussy about playing a disc twice, and that was once a clean but heavily marked c.d. and also a clean unmarked c.d. Then it played the unmarked c.d. no problem.
Note - we purchased the demo unit, so it may need a service/lazer head clean ??
It has only been fussy a couple of times, so had no need as of yet.

The sound is really nice.
Soundstage (whatever you want to call it) is wonderful. Cliche, but we have heard things that we haven’t noticed before. Detail is extreme, but with no harshness. The least c.d. player sounding c.d. player I have ever heard - if that makes sense. All instruments have their own place and are surrounded by quiet.
Worth noting that I play most types of music, from Nailbomb to Mahler - Kraftwerk to Dolly Parton.

We spent quite a while considering the purchase of the Blak, as it ain’t cheap. The home demo swung the deal as it transformed c.d’s into music in such a great way.
I listen to my Stereo for 6 - 8 hours most days, so in terms of usage the c.d. player gets a run most days (until the Blak arrived I played just vinyl) and I didn’t keep any c.d’s in the Music room until it arrived.

To complicate matters (in a good way :)) @linnfomaniac83 did some special magic stuff with my old Arcam Alpha 9 c.d. player. This now sounds better than it ever did, and plays everything.
The Daughter and I spent hours playing off the modded Arcam against the Blak. They are both good, but the Black has more detail and the soundstage is preferable.

I am really glad we got the c.d. player, it sits nicely in sound quality terms with my record player.
(Heybrook TT2s - the one with the cast alloy Keel before that was invented, Heed offboard PSU and Origin Live arm and Ortofon 2m Black through an Arkless Turbo.)

I have started buying c.d’s again.

If you have the opportunity to home demo a Blak then go for it! Richer Sounds were very helpful,
I guess other sellers will be obliging.

Hope you continue to enjoy the Blak CD player. I have owned the Caspian M2 CD Player and M2 Amplifier fir the past 8 years or so. Both have been flawless and the sound reproduction has been superb. I am sure that the Blak raises it to yet a further improvement in overall performance too...

Old thread …. But I can echo Bigtabs sentiments the Roksan Blak is an excellent CD player.

I sold a Sony HAP Z1ES streamer to fund mine.

Sound quality is on another level and markedly improved upon the Primare D32 I had .

Highly recommended.

@Big Tabs did the Blak player arrive? If so, any thoughts yet? :)

Round 2

Over a weekend ago I changed the Chord Chameleon Plus interconnects for new Chord Shawline (not the X) interconnects, now serving the Blak c.d. player.

The sound was already satisfying.
With the new cables I can recognise how competent the Blak is. Came as a pleasant shock as I wasn’t expecting anything from the new cables.
C.d’s that I know well sound different. In a good way.
Both Daughter and I listened to an album we both know well. We both looked at each other the instant we both heard something we hadn’t heard before.
This happened a few times on various albums.

I hate to use this description, but it really does sound quite analogue.
And the detail…
imaging - separation , good.

I been playing a vast range of genres.
It will not make quiet production louder.
Poor production still sounds poor.
Copes very well on very busy passages/segments of music.

I still like and appreciate the large display.

Glad that I changed the interconnects. I will get some van damme RCA’s and try them sometime. Kids can have the rejects.

Genuinely very pleased with the Blak - even more so now.

It is able to drag me away from the SL1200G, and that is no easy drag.

Meanwhile, getting back (somewhat) on to topic, I have the Roksan Caspian M2 cdp (so one down from the Blak in their hierarchy) and am thoroughly impressed with it. Had it for just over a year now, having previously had a fairly long in the tooth Cyrus CD6S which was becoming increasingly erratic in its willingness to read discs. For me the musicality of the Roksan is head and shoulders above the Cyrus. The only downside for me is that you can't access tracks directly from the remote (have to scroll through them). A minor inconvenience, and I'm now wondering about whether to get a Caspian amp to go with it.
Wonder how its getting on ? The caspian m2

Still very happy with the Caspian M2 CD player. No progress yet on a new amp - derailed by house move, recent treatment for prostate cancer, and general procrastination.

Still very happy with the Caspian M2 CD player. No progress yet on a new amp - derailed by house move, recent treatment for prostate cancer, and general procrastination.

I have owned my Caspian M2 amp for the past 10 years plus. It has been a lovely amplifier, very pleased with it. Auditioned it versus other amps from the likes of Arcam, Leema, Rega etc and the Caspian M2 sounded better than all of them.
The negatives of the Caspian M2 are no built in phono-stage and no headphone socket, if desired. Otherwise if 85w into 8ohms is enough power then its a lovely integrated amp. I also have the Caspian M2 CD player which is excellent too.
Good luck with your choices and hope your health issues are resolved in the very near future.

advertisement

Back