advertisement

Roger Waters and Nick Mason Q&A - what would you like to ask them?

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
Roger and Nick (if I may be so bold to refer to them by first names) are having a Q&A session after the screening of The Wall on 29th September and fans can pose questions in advance via a link @ Roger's Facebook page or via the Brain Damage website, which is what I did. Maybe, just maybe, they'll choose to answer one of our questions!

Fwiw, I asked:

What are the obstacles preventing the release of more Pink Floyd music in multichannel 4.0 or 5.1, and what needs to be done to overcome them and by whom?

Okay but Roger and Nick might answer: "What is the point of creating a fake 5.1 sound file when, in those days, our music has been recorded/produced in order to sound good in stereo ?"

Boringly, I would ask - where's the early PF material that Nick Mason was talking so much about a year or two ago?

Okay but Roger and Nick might answer: "What is the point of creating a fake 5.1 sound file when, in those days, our music has been recorded/produced in order to sound good in stereo ?"

Obviously you know DSOTM (and I think WYWH) were produced to sound good in quadraphonic?

And if you've never herd them this way you're missing s treat.

Do stereo soundboards of the '77 US tour exist or is this a myth? Oakland Colosseum May 9th please!

Does anyone in the band's organisation have a pre-broadcast tape of the 2nd 1968 John Peel Session (Embryo, BBS, Interstellar Overdrive, Point Me At The Sky)?

More realistically, are there any plans to make the pro-shot Earls Court film of the The Wall available? This has been mooted a few times.

Obviously you know DSOTM (and I think WYWH) were produced to sound good in quadraphonic?

And if you've never herd them this way you're missing s treat.
Oh, you know that too ? Impressive. But the release of the quadraphonic cassettes was confidential at best, and I am not sure the recording of all tracks was intended for quadraphony from the onset. And anyway, 5.1 and quadraphony isn't the same thing either. I do admit, though, that I am not a fan of any sort of surround sound (except for movies where we focus on the picture anyway) because it is just too difficult to get all parameters right once you are somewhere else than in the studio where it was recorded/mixed.

The original DSOTM was intended to be heard in surround sound and a while ago Alan Parsons made the original 4.1 mix available as a free download in MLP. And very good it is too.

I'm calm.

DSOTM was conceived and played live in "surround" prior to its release. The technology was in very few homes at the time, so the stereo version was obviously the primary release.

However, the 5.1 and 4-ch mixes available today on DVD and Blu-ray are a great opportunity to hear what they would have put out to be consumed by their fan base had the technology (or moreover pervasive use of) been there.

I expect most Floyd fans have heard DSOTM this way by know, and it makes more sense like this (certain tracks in particular).

What I really enjoyed recently (last year) was hearing Welcome to the Machine in surround. I'm not sure if they were still as focused on surround by 1975 (had Quad failed by then?) so I'm not sure if it's a modern re-interpretation or as originally intended. In surround you really are "in the machine", and worth the effort getting to hear it that way.

advertisement

Back