advertisement

RIP Annie Nightingale

I mainly knew her from TOGWT, which she was very good on, obviously and enthusiasticly loved music.

We booked her a couple of times to play in the dance tents at Wickerman festival in the 2000s, she went down well but she was a bit of a diva and prone to outbursts but I guess she’d earned that right, she refused to stay in the hotel we booked for her as it wasn’t up to standard (Selkirk Ams hotel kirkcudbright, where most of our guests stayed) so we had to pay an extra few hundred £ for a hotel in Dumfries 30 miles away and associated taxi costs.

Too young to listen to her show properly, although I remember her spinning 'Valley Girl' one Sunday evening in the earky 80's when my dad her show on.

Loved this clip featuring her from the OGWT, although Rat Scabies is really the star.....

Very sad, a regular listener and so used to look forward to TOGWT when she presented - RIP

I guess it was quite a while back (my mid to late teens) when Annie Nightingale and John Peel were my favourite radio programmes although I was partial to the scheduled programme on Tuesday evening at 8pm, ‘The organist entertains’

Such a shame she has died.

BBC News - Annie Nightingale: Trailblazing BBC Radio 1 DJ dies at 83

I spoke to her once when I rang up her show to ask what that song was she'd just played (Moby, when he'd just released his first album)
I didn't imagine I'd get through to the her but she spoke to me for a couple of minutes, then put me on hold while she got the next track cued up then continued to chat like we were old friends.
It left a big impression on me.

I really liked the request show in the 80s. She had a habit of picking slightly more obscure album tracks - Nick Drake, Steve Miller, etc, not especially cutting edge but not much heard and worth it.

For me it was listening to her show in the mid to late 70's whilst doing schoolwork for O and then A levels.
"Lazy Sunday Afternoon" was the intro theme to her shows and as others have noted, her choices were often a pathway to the more energetic Peel shows on weekday nights.

She was great, and I already miss her. She had a Sunday evening slot in the early eighties, and I have more than one album that I bought on the strength of her playing it. The The, and the Psychedelic Furs spring to mind.

I could swear at some point she and one Gordon Sumner were an item.... Good for you Annie. RIP.

She was great, and I already miss her. She had a Sunday evening slot in the early eighties, and I have more than one album that I bought on the strength of her playing it. The The, and the Psychedelic Furs spring to mind.

I could swear at some point she and one Gordon Sumner were an item.... Good for you Annie. RIP.
That's nice to hear Tim. Not sure 'nice' is the right word here but it'll do.
Like you I heard a lot of new-to-me music via her show. She was one of the few big dj's who seemed to actually like the music she played..

That's nice to hear Tim. Not sure 'nice' is the right word here but it'll do.
Like you I heard a lot of new-to-me music via her show. She was one of the few big dj's who seemed to actually like the music she played..
I remember an interview with John Peel in which he recounted visiting Dave Lee Travis at home and being surprised he didn’t own any records. I assume the rest of the smashy and nicey crew were the same.

I remember an interview with John Peel in which he recounted visiting Dave Lee Travis at home and being surprised he didn’t own any records. I assume the rest of the smashy and nicey crew were the same.
Certainly sounds possible, but I'm more surprised that John Peel visited Dave Lee Travis...!

advertisement

Back