advertisement

Restoration of old pioneer amp cap question

Ping

I've aquired a vintage pioneer sx-939 from a local dumpster:) The amp has 2 large elna 10,000uf caps that I'd like to replace. So I'm preparing an order with farnell. The choices are Bc components series 050, 051, or 106, Aerovox, or Epcos. Initially looking at Bc components but some like the Aerovox or maybe Epcos (possibly a decendent of seimens sikorel?) Looking for tunes and a "live" vibe. Any help?

The amp has that warm and musical sound found in alot of 1970s gear. The amp also has a pretty good set of tone controls controling 50hz, 100hz, 10,000hz, and 20,000hz. My experience with elna is that they are typically a little rich and sweet sounding. Is it your opinion that the Aerovox is a "darker" richer sounding cap then the bc components? I've never used Aerovox but have used bcs 021 series in source equipment. The bcs always tend to sound a little thin but very natural prat.

It's a delicate process because you don't want to ruin the signature of the peice but the caps are over 30 years old.

Thanks

advertisement

Back