advertisement

Reliable car which is inexpensive to maintain outside of guarantee

anubisgrau

pfm Member
I'm looking for recommendations for reliable car relatively inexpensive (or not crazily expensive) to maintain outside of guarantee. I don't want to pay inflated prices of new cars nowadays so looking for something with max 120,000km that will not just fall apart. Currently I drive Suzuki S-Cross with 230,000km from 2014 but I feel like changing it soon. It would need to be a comfortable for long trips (770km from my residence to a summer house) but economic enough for city rides. It can be simple enough, I don't need stuff like navi, multimedia etc - it anyway gonna break sooner or later. 4x4 is a good bonus.

What would you look after?

Not convinced on the long distance requirement with that one TBH. :)

An ex-colleague of mine (6' 2", bit of a unit) drove one all the way from the UK to Bulgaria and back for s**ts 'n' grins. He said it was fun.

[edit]

Fiat Panda 4x4. Reliability should be OK.

Lots and lots and lots and lots of actual hard data online from various sources - Which?, Parkers etc. etc. etc..
Why ask for opinion?

I buy at 2-3 years old and run into the ground, with just close attention to (home) servicing and have no major gripes, except with a Focus zetec (petrol).

Lots and lots and lots and lots of actual hard data online from various sources - Which?, Parkers etc. etc. etc..
Why ask for opinion?

I buy at 2-3 years old and run into the ground, with just close attention to (home) servicing and have no major gripes, except with a Focus zetec (petrol).

I had a used Focus Zetec mk1.
No real issues as I recall.

It just got a little old and rattly so I changed for a Xsara Picasso.

As for something more recent what about a 2007 style Micra or Note.

Our 2007 Micra is as good as new.
Early years had emissions control issues but not recently.

Sorted.

Kia?, if available to you. A two year old one will still have 5 years warranty or 160,000Km or there about

Jimny and Panda 4x4 are both options I adore for the island but nothing for a long trip. I almost bought a Jimny once but we manage to break it's 4x4 (it got stuck in low drive mode) so I gave up. If there would be a car like that with a solid load capacity, low consumption, reliable enough and good for relaxed long drive, this would be the one.
I love Mondeo of that vintage, whenever I'm in a taxi I'm fascinated how much of a car you actually get!

Jimny and Panda 4x4 are both options I adore for the island but nothing for a long trip. I almost bought a Jimny once but we manage to break it's 4x4 (it got stuck in low drive mode) so I gave up. If there would be a car like that with a solid load capacity, low consumption, reliable enough and good for relaxed long drive, this would be the one.
I love Mondeo of that vintage, whenever I'm in a taxi I'm fascinated how much of a car you actually get!

Next step up from the Jimny is the Vitara; i've had a Grand Vitara for a few years and it's well made. Just short of 100k miles so due a clutch soon. It doesn't get much tlc and has a proper 4wd like the Jimny.

Just a bit more comfortable, faster and needs more petrol. I run it on Grabbers at about 25 psi so a soft ride and good in the mud but up the pressure when daughter uses it for long journeys.

Room for 2 adults in the back or ISO child seats.

No breakdowns yet but got a bit dented when i backed into the rolls.

Ms Jezzer has an utterly reliable previous generation Kia Sportage. Other than a slightly choppy ride I have no complaints.

comfiest, previous (not hybrid) honda CrV. If you buy well you get one a free 5 year servive plans with maybe 2 years left? Anyway nothing goes wrong before 150000 so no problem.
Lighter than that, but still amazingly comfy seat, the suzuki Vitari, and
in the middle of those..
Kia Sportage as mentioned above.

Kia Sportage

next door has had a 2019 Kia Sportage AWD from new. Nicely appointed they like it alot. Apart from the fact it has broken three times in the last 12 months. All electrical faults. It was rock solid from new until a year ago

It’s way too subjective a question as people just recommend what they have and have had good experiences with… which can be just about any marque/model. For a reliable and good comfortable A to B machine that won’t break the bank I’ve always had success with Honda/Toyota and have friends who swear by Kia, but these are, as mentioned, just my experiences so come with no real evidence other than that that is anecdotal.

advertisement

Back