advertisement

Reiki Reflections (blog post): Is that the time? The fallacy of ethernet clock accuracy

TheFlash

Reiki Audio
https://www.reikiaudio.com/blog/is-that-the-time-the-fallacy-of-ethernet-clock-accuracy

The importance of clock accuracy to the sound quality of digital systems is well-established. Not only do all major manufacturers of DACs, streamers and upscalers extol the benefits of the high accuracy clocks they use, there is a strong market for standalone reclockers and master clocks for those seeking to improve on what might already be a fine sounding system up to the same level. Poor quality clocks in the post-streamer digital domain can introduce jitter (time distortion) which manifests as an often audible deterioration in sound quality. The relationship between clock accuracy and sound quality is not only logical in theory, it is strongly backed by empirical evidence shared enthusiastically among audiophiles.

So why fallacy? Simply because ethernet clocks are a completely different beast from the clocks discussed above and, unlike those, there is no mechanism by which ethernet clock accuracy can impact sound quality. Such a bold statement (no I don’t mean the font) obviously needs unpacking…

Screenshot+2023-01-03+at+21.31.46.png

Ethernet is part of a complex set of protocols and standards established in the 1980’s and represented in the 7-layer model of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model. Our focus on audio applications is the lowest 2 layers. The Data Link layer specifies how data is moved in “frames” and the OSI model incorporates error checking, data buffering etc in order to maximise the reliability of data exchange over huge distances. In plain language, the data transmitted via your router to your streamer will arrive, having been buffered if necessary, in bit-perfect order.

Up to the streamer, any competent clock will minimise jitter but any jitter that does exist can have no impact on sound quality as your streamer extracts the audio files from the buffered data frames. At this point clock accuracy – the minimisation of jitter - does indeed become important - but not before.

This raises the FAQ (Fiendish Anticipated Question): Why do so many manufacturers of ethernet devices enthuse about the accuracy of their clocks? There are several answers.

Firstly, some manufacturers may not entirely understand the difference between the mechanisms at play up to and after the streamer.

Secondly, many manufacturers are responding to the demands of a customer base which also does not understand this difference. We’d venture that this is more about going with the grain of customer expectations and demand than cynically exploiting customer misunderstanding.

Thirdly, in theory clock quality rather than accuracy may indeed affect sound quality eg. if a clock chip is particularly noisy (generates more RFI than another). We’re not sure we’ve ever seen evidence of comparative testing which suggests any inverse correlation between clock accuracy and clock noise, but include this for completeness.

While many manufacturers of audio-targeted network switches sustain this misunderstanding for one or more of the above reasons, there are exceptions. Two of these follow (we’re sure there must be more) and they take different approaches:

Company D makes some of the very best DACs in the world and their current range includes a DAC/streamer. They are on record in online discussions as dismissing the relevance of ethernet clock accuracy to sound quality while expounding the importance of clock accuracy in the digital (streamer onwards) domain. There is absolutely no conflict here, indeed it demonstrates a proper understanding of both domains and the relationship between them.

Company I has built up in just a few years an impressive range of combined ripper/storage devices and streamers as well as a highly regarded audiophile network switch. They do include a high accuracy clock in the latter – after all, they have access to a ready supply of them from their digital devices – but they cleverly sidestep the issue of accuracy and sound quality with a reference to the superiority of internal over external clocks. We’re not sure many ethernet switches, whether audiophile or budget, use external clocks and if they did then any “precision losses” in the ethernet domain would not impact sound quality. This appears to be an understandable case of going with rather than against the grain.

For the record, we seek to observe not pass judgement (perish the thought!). We hugely admire both companies for the qualities of their products and their continual innovation in the digital audio space.

To conclude: we trust that these reflections not only give you food for thought but also make your network switch purchasing decision easier – and of course save you wasting time and money on ethernet clock “upgrades” which simply aren’t.

Let’s close with another statement, this time from… er, let’s call them Company R: All Reiki Audio Superswitches employ an industry standard 25MHz clock which delivers the highest possible audio performance.

https://www.reikiaudio.com/blog/is-that-the-time-the-fallacy-of-ethernet-clock-accuracy

This raises the FAQ (Fiendish Anticipated Question): Why do so many manufacturers of ethernet devices enthuse about the accuracy of their clocks? There are several answers.

Possibly you are overthinking this. So many audiophile companies freely indulge in large quantities of misleading b*llsh*t, so your sentence in bold is not very surprising!

Not relevant to audio, but just worth adding that some routers deployed by Network Providers use Synchronous Ethernet, where great care is taken over the clock accuracy on Ethernet outputs, but this is done to distribute frequency (& phase) timing to downstream components, particularly to support Base-stations for mobile phones. (This is so the RF carriers can be synchronised.)

Good catch x2! Blog updated to say Why do so many manufacturers of audiophile ethernet devices enthuse about the accuracy of their clocks? and your point about b*llsh*t fully ackowledged.

I do understand the role of clocks generally and was aware of Synchronous Ethernet but, as you recognise, this has nothing to do with sound quality. I wasn't aware of why Synchronous Ethernet is sometimes used. Living and learning!

All the best,

Nigel

Good catch x2! Blog updated to say Why do so many manufacturers of audiophile ethernet devices enthuse about the accuracy of their clocks? and your point about b*llsh*t fully ackowledged

The bit in bold - because 'they' are bootstrapping their marketing off previous, usu uninformed concerns about 'jitter' and 'clock accuracy.' and long promulgation of that for effect - while still devoid of understanding where those things might matter, and the the way in which the elephant in the room (starting with phase noise) is too heavy-going for them to even bother with.

Buy this - it is shinier!
is where all Marketing comes from. To feed the Gulled.

The bit in bold - because 'they' are bootstrapping their marketing off previous, usu uninformed concerns about 'jitter' and 'clock accuracy.' and long promulgation of that for effect - while still devoid of understanding where those things might matter, and the the way in which the elephant in the room (starting with phase noise) is too heavy-going for them to even bother with.
Indeed they are, Martin.

Buy this - it is shinier! is where all Marketing comes from. To feed the Gulled.
We disagree here. A bit. A lot of marketing does indeed focus on shininess... but if you have a product which actually does something like is quieter or goes faster or runs cooler or whatever, you still need to market it to get the word out. Not all marketing is vacuous spin but far too much of it is for my liking.

Indeed they are, Martin.

We disagree here. A bit. A lot of marketing does indeed focus on shininess... but if you have a product which actually does something like is quieter or goes faster or runs cooler or whatever, you still need to market it to get the word out. Not all marketing is vacuous spin but far too much of it is for my liking.

We disagree here, very little!

In my world, I am the guy /lead that solves ...multidimensional problems, against the clock , for money; our rep is based on such.
I also see how my/our competitors market their abilities, at such. Who cannot.

Totally different métier; but - very similar issues.
ATB.

... In my world, I am the guy /lead that solves ...multidimensional problems, against the clock , for money; our rep is based on such. ...
Even if it avoids the "shiny" dimension you point out, technical audio marketing cherry-picks what it focusses the consumer on. It's indeed the very antithesis to solving multi-dimensional problems. Problems where you have to look at an entire system and understand the interactions that happen and those that don't. So you are not fooled into solving a problem that does not exist, or deploying the wrong solution to a real problem.

I see so many frustrating audiophile technical "explanations" that stop at a point where questions that scream in my mind include "exactly what effect are you writing about?", "how does that effect propagate to the audio output?", "how do you explain the miracle in this step?", etc. I don't expect this frustration to go away any time soon.

IME in the engineering world you cannot afford to fool yourself. If you do, your solution doesn't work, the customer is unhappy and as you write reputation suffers. In the consumer audiophile world it seems to be very different.

In the consumer audiophile world it seems to be very different.
It does indeed.

I had to have a long hold-up-the-mirror talk with myself about clock accuracy/stability when designing my switch. The market has been fed a fairly consistent line on this and I did wonder whether I was shooting myself in the foot - cutting out a good chunk of my potential customer base - by not simply going with the grain of market demand. But I researched and ensured I really understood the ethernet protocols as well as I thought I did… and could find no basis at all for any link between switch clock accuracy/stability so stuck to my guns. And obviously wrote a blog about it.
I’m really happy I did this and can sleep at night, hold my head high, look myself in the mirror and other idioms. Happier than the PCB supplier who insisted I needed the clock “upgrade” on my boards for only another $120 per board! Er, no thanks.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back