advertisement

Rega RB250 armboard.

kilomec44

A familiar query perhaps perhaps but any suggestions or help in dealing with it would be much appreciated. I am collecting all the bits and pieces needed to mount a Rega 250 arm on a Thorens TD150 Mk.1 chassis, amongst which is a hardwood armboard, lacking the 23mm. mounting hole. Clearly this hole needs to be precisely located and machined, which operation is beyond the facilities at my disposal. Are there Pink Media correspondents who could do this job?

Richard Norris.

Can't help you directly, but it is a pretty easy DIY job. I did it once for a Thorens 125/SME. You can find the centre-to-centre distance on the Web, or someone here will tell you. mark it on the board. Then drill a small hole. Then take one of those broad, flat drill bits (they probably have a name), say 20mm wide, and drill the hole. Then with a rounded rasp file away at the edges until the base of the arm slips in.

A 25mm flat bit will do and give you enough leeway to get the position spot on.

If your still lacking confidence to diy, your location to find a local fishie may help.

Can't help you directly, but it is a pretty easy DIY job. I did it once for a Thorens 125/SME. You can find the centre-to-centre distance on the Web, or someone here will tell you. mark it on the board. Then drill a small hole. Then take one of those broad, flat drill bits (they probably have a name), say 20mm wide, and drill the hole. Then with a rounded rasp file away at the edges until the base of the arm slips in.
Paul,

Thank you for the prompt reply! As you suggest, it would be possible to drill a pilot bore and enlarge it, carefully, I hope that I would not be too cack-handed in doing so.

Richard N.

If your still lacking confidence to diy, your location to find a local fishie may help.
Deepdog,

Thank you for the reply and suggestion. I really don't trust myself to not make a hash of an expensive armboard! It's a possibility that I could try.

Richard N.

Drill bits always over-bore a bit. I would not use bigger than 22mm. But I'm sure 25mm would also work if the flange is wide enough to cover the hole.

I have successfully used a 25mm holesaw on a composite armboard before - measure 3 times - cut once

It's easy enough. I made one for a fishie a few years ago from a piece of ply, I think I charged him the price of a bottle of wine for my trouble, so we all won on that one.

Don't Rega arms need an arm board that sinks / absorbs vibration? I'm not sure acrylic would do that.

Don't Rega arms need an arm board that sinks / absorbs vibration? I'm not sure acrylic would do that.
Hello Avon,

Thanks for the reply. I have found the answer: a rectangular aluminium alloy mounting plate complete with 23mm. hole, accurately located,
at a reasonable cost.

kilomec44

Audio Classique on eBay sell ready made acrylic ones.
Hello Colin,

Thanks for the reply. I have found the solution in a rectangular aluminium alloy mounting plate with accurately located 23mm. hole. Relatively plain sailing from now on. Suppmlied at tre

advertisement

Back