advertisement

Rega planet

CDRs are about 70% less reflective than standard Red Book CDs, therefore, these represent one's early warning indicator of optical block failure (and/or the optical block's focus bias and/or laser power having drifted off*). This difference can also be compounded as CDRs age. I've some old mixed CDRs that have become a bit wonky even on players that do fine with newer burned copies of the same CDR discs.

One can have a twiddle with the middle 'focus bias' pot on KSS240A, however, this is typically adjusted using a special test CD and oscilloscope, specifically adjusting level until one sees the ideal RF signal waveform 'eye pattern' on screen (essentially a hatch pattern formed of easily distinguishable diamond shapes). There is also a 'laser power' pot on the RH side (of three pots) which can be adjusted in order to compensate for voltage having dropped off.

Here is a Sony service bulletin regarding 'focus bias' adjustment...

To Craig, thank you for your detailed reply, the plot thickens, I have some cdrs that I made some years ago, they play fine, the new cdrs that I make now via iTunes are the ones that crackle, I have tried 2 different makes, TDK and Verbatim.

To Craig, thank you for your detailed reply, the plot thickens, I have some cdrs that I made some years ago, they play fine, the new cdrs that I make now via iTunes are the ones that crackle, I have tried 2 different makes, TDK and Verbatim.
You are welcome, Geoffrey.

Suggest making sure that iTunes isn't set to burn discs at 'maximum possible' speed. I typically go with 4x max.

It also doesn't hurt to make certain that the source disc is clean and not too scratched up. I've occasionally had to resort to using plastic polish on some used discs that I've accumulated in order to get a copy that plays clean. Another option is to export a playlist from iTunes and use such as XLD or Max if on Mac (both freeware), or the old Exact Audio Copy (also free) on Windows (works on Win 10 here).

Thank you Craig, I have played the same cdr on another Cd player belonging to a family member and it plays fine, so I will order a new laser, thank you for your help.

Thank you Craig, I have played the same cdr on another Cd player belonging to a family member and it plays fine, so I will order a new laser, thank you for your help.
You may want to take out the mech before ordering, just to be sure of the Sony model designation on the optical block. I'm almost certain that it is KSS-240A across the board for Planet Mk1 vs. KSS-213C on Planet 2000.

Regardless, let me know when you've received the new laser block and I'll forward on a copy of the illustrated service page (which appears to show KSS-213C, which is what got me re-thinking model designations).

Last edited:
Thanks Craig, it is a KSS-240A, I can only get a clone now as Sony discontinued it, been playing it today and it’s fine with redbook, weird.

advertisement

Back