advertisement

Rega Planar 6 sagging issues

In what way? I’ve seen the rubber back foot of some Regas end up a little shorter over time (easily corrected with a 2p piece or whatever), but I’ve never heard of them ‘doing a Roksan’!

If you have this problem, couldn't you try swapping the feet around to get a better balance, the more compressed foot would then have a lighter load?

My RP8 is on a rega wall shelf and I just use a few sheets of paper under 2 of the feet to get things level.

yes, been reading that thread on SHF last night, oddly enough.

that first pic in the thread is quite something. Would appear some owners, hopefully a (very small) minority, have a very valid complaint / real problem.

OK, I'm deleting my comment here, as, catching up with the SHF thread as I did last night' it would seem far from clear as regards the nature and degree of any sag, and as I haven't any irons in the fire best I refrain from chipping in.

Last edited:
God knows why I'm posting this - I haven't got it 'in' for Rega remotely!

None of us have but there is nothing wrong with talking honestly about an actual issue. A lot of early Planar2s were not laminated on both sides, only the top, and the underside could absorb moisture and warp the plinth. I'm surprised that after all these years they can still make the same sort of mistake.

It's always risky using unusual materials and construction methods.

Here’s a thing to consider, if there’s a problem with a Rega product, they will fix it promptly. I’ve had two faults occur with Rega products (in 20 years and having owned a lot of Rega products), in both instances, my product was replace with a new one (even though I’d owned them for over two years).

I’ve heard references to the above issue somewhere a while back, probably the same place... I’ve not actually seen any evidence of Planar 6s sagging all over the place, I have seen lots of very positive reports from happy owners.

I’ve had two faults occur with Rega products, in both instances, my product was replace with a new one.

The only other company I can think of with an aftercare reputation on a par with Rega might be ATC. Graham Slee are also amazing. As you say, the odd issue is no reason to avoid Rega products because if you are unlucky, they will sort it.

The only other company I can think of with an aftercare reputation on a par with Rega might be ATC. Graham Slee are also amazing. As you say, the odd issue is no reason to avoid Rega products because if you are unlucky, they will sort it.
This is why I can’t understand people bashing the brand, it’s understandable that their products aren’t for everyone, but at least they stand behind them, and take care of their customers, that is beyond criticism. I know this wasn’t the intention of the OP, but the thread is a result of a small group of people bashing the brand elsewhere.

I saw another “report” from someone attacking a very popular Linn product for a “widely publicised issue”... the thing is, this issue was widely publicised by him... and he hadn’t bought the product from a dealership, or visited one to get it set up properly... or listened to anyone’s advice. Now Linn aren’t beyond criticism, but this was another guy reporting a “widespread issue” that simply didn’t exist.

To be fair, rega -have earned a (practically) legendary status amongst anyone who has ever had the good fortune to own or hear the kit that they have made. I’m certain there may be other brands that can’t quite understand how they do it? Of course it’s very simple, make something good and make it affordable to reproduce and sell, offer good customer service and selection of dealers who also buy into your ethos and way of working. I would be interested to see more good news stories, considering that if we’re happy we tend not announce it? If a problem arises then the internet will surely know?
All things ever made have issues, and we should be so lucky that a manufacturer is responsive and offers solutions.

Reading the thread and going to the particular forum does show an alarming issue with a sagging plinth pictured, however I am almost certain that if rega were notified they will have sorted it. posts there seem to go on and on and speculate about potential issues with sagging plinths generally and other things?

Any company should not be judged by a mistake or failed product but rather by their ability and willingness to correct it.

I've never been a Rega fan but their reputation in this regard is very good.

This is why I can’t understand people bashing the brand...

Who cares? Some criticism is justified, some isn't. As a thinking adult it's your job to consider the arguments and decide for yourself where the truth lies. Other people do many things I cannot understand but, that's other people for you ;0)

Is criticism of the bending plinths justified? Well, yeah, I think so. It is an actual problem, it has happened and I think there is a reasonably argument for saying that it shouldn't.

Yes, I agree with you that Rega are brilliant and will sort it out but that's missing a whole bunch of points. If the deck is a few years old the owner could be forgiven for not realizing that Rega will still take an interests in resolving his problems. He might anticipate a hefty bill or think it cannot be fixed. There will be a raft of question marks and worries in an owners mind over a situation like this.

Depending on his location, it may not be too easy to get to a Rega dealer and it's time and aggravation he might not appreciate. If he has to post the deck, does he still have the correct packing and even if he does, posting a turntable is always a risk.

Rega turntables are inherently well built and reliable but from what I can see absolutely every manufacturer drops the ball sometimes. I'm sure they will do everything they can to sort out these issues when they occur but that doesn't mean we should pretend they don't exist. Good as they are, this is still Regas fault.

Everyone who says Rega will sort it out didn’t read the message that was posted from Rega to dealers saying that a sag of 1.6mm or less was acceptable and wouldn’t merit a replacement. So no, Rega is not sorting it out.

from Rega:-

Rega ran deflection tests on this material over an 18 month period applying more than double the expected load to the plinth that would occur in usual use. The plinths in these experiments showed zero deflection over 18 months.

Any deflection measured across the front of the plinth will have been present from the day it was manufactured. As with all manufactured / engineered components
they have an allowed tolerance. Rega allows a deflection of 1.6mm for the Planar 6.

advertisement

Back