advertisement

Rega Planar 3/Elys & Rega Elex-R Problems

lsmanley

Hi

A friend of mine has recently bought a brand new Rega Planar 3/Elys and Elex-R on my recommendation as I'm a happy owner of a Planar 6/Ania, Aria, Elicit-R and RS5 speakers.

However he's having a bit of a nightmare unfortunately. He initially got the Planar 3 last week and was temporarily using it with an AV Amp with a phono stage. However, he obviously wanted something a bit more commensurate with the TT and a decent pair of Acoustic Energy speakers he uses as the front pair in his HT setup.

So he took delivery of his Elex-R yesterday and has encountered the following issues (using just the TT, Elex-R and stereo speakers)
  • A hum/hiss of 60dB coming out of the speakers when the amp is switched to the phono input and the TT is connected (with no music playing). There is no issues when using the line inputs with a CD player.
  • This hum/hiss gets worse when the tonearm is moved towards the middle of the platter (with the tonearm still in its lifted position so not engaged with an LP)
  • A humming sound coming from rear phono inputs when the turntable is not even connected
He's run through a systematic process to try and isolate the problem but has not been able to.

Basically he's at his wits end so I was wondering if anyone had any idea's as to what might be causing this to happen?

Cheers.

Luke

Can he not speak to his dealer, it is a new product.

He has - and he'll probably return them. Both units are brand new from an authorised dealer. The same one I use. We're just curious as to what might be causing this - is it a faulty unit or something else. He's in a bit of a bind as he's 50 miles away from the dealer. So trying other units only to find he still has the same problem would be really bad. Also, not sure what unit is at fault here, the TT or the Amp...

He could try a different interconnect if he has one to hand. Problem appears to be between amp & TT as he didn’t have problem with other set up?

Luke,

Is it a hum or a hiss as they are completely different ?

Not sure I understand the "rear" phono inputs unless you mean hum / hiss when nothing is connected to the amplifiers phono inputs.

If he contacts his local supplying dealer then they can talk him through the issues and organise a solution that will minimise his inconvenience.

Please feel free to get him (or you) to PFM me here if it proves easier,

PD

Luke,

Is it a hum or a hiss as they are completely different ?

Not sure I understand the "rear" phono inputs unless you mean hum / hiss when nothing is connected to the amplifiers phono inputs.

If he contacts his local supplying dealer then they can talk him through the issues and organise a solution that will minimise his inconvenience.

Please feel free to get him (or you) to PFM me here if it proves easier,

PD

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. I'm getting him to write up a detailed description of the problem and will send that to you. He's spoken to his dealer and they've been helpful and it's all in hand, but if we can get an expert like yourself to work out what might be going on then all the better!

Cheers.

Luke

advertisement

Back