advertisement

Rega Neo PSU

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Hi all,

I have a rega planar 3 2016 with exact cartridge. I am wondering whether the Neo Psu is a worthwhile upgrade in terms of sound rather than just convenience?

Thanks

Hi all,

I have a rega planar 3 2016 with exact cartridge. I am wondering whether the Neo Psu is a worthwhile upgrade in terms of sound rather than just convenience?

Thanks
Yes, I think so. Ask your local dealer if you can try one at home over a couple of evenings or if you live in the West Midlands/Staffs, you’re welcome to pop round with your deck and try mine some time.

The way I read it is that Planar 8 employs the same low noise 24V synchronous motor, but mounted from the bottom of the motor housing, as with Naiad, rather than from the top. If you have a look at the gallery pictures you'll notice two widely spaced machine bolt heads either side of the motor pulley. I suspect that these attach to a motor mounting plate positioned beneath the motor, possibly with the motor affixed using the same sort of adhesive pad located between bottom of motor and top of plate. The wording suggests a high level of coupling whilst retaining higher vibration isolation than previous models. This does make sense when you consider that the top bearing of the motor is under greater load whilst driving the hub/platter via the pulley/belts. Coupling the motor down bottom of the housing may prove to conduct less noise overall.

I am left wondering if, due to the necessity of having a hole drilled in the centre of the mounting plate to accommodate the lower bearing/cap, combined with the likely spacing of the motor plate mounting holes, that Rega are finding a new use for the old O-ring suspension metal plates. If so, then that would be very Rega and very cool.

http://www.rega.co.uk/planar-8.html

About a year ago I put one on my RP, it was a worthwhile upgrade. There was more detail and everything sharpened up. I borrowed one from my friendly hi fi shop and never looked back.

I use a Neo with my 2016 Planar 3 along with a white belt.
To my ears there is more detail and separation of different instruments.
The sound seems more music and less hifi.
Easy switching between 33 and 45 definitely a plus too.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to look into buying the psu. The only other possible option would be to upgrade to the planar 6, how close do you think the planar 3 with exact, white belt and psu would be to the planar 6 with exact?

18 months/2 years ago I got back into vinyl after a 25 teat absence, firstly buying a standard Planar 3 followed later by a standard Planar 6. I went though the process of asking similar questions to the ones you have asked. I find the Exact cartridge tracks more smootly than the Elys but did not bother adding a separate power supply to the Planar 3 as tests I have done finds it constantly rotates at the correct speed. One less desirable feature of the Planar 6 is a russling sound when you return it the starting postion. I have queried it with dealer & Rega confirm that is normal. It does nor interfere with the music so no real problem. If I was doing it again I would buy Planar 3's with Exact cartridge.

18 months/2 years ago I got back into vinyl after a 25 teat absence, firstly buying a standard Planar 3 followed later by a standard Planar 6. I went though the process of asking similar questions to the ones you have asked. I find the Exact cartridge tracks more smootly than the Elys but did not bother adding a separate power supply to the Planar 3 as tests I have done finds it constantly rotates at the correct speed. One less desirable feature of the Planar 6 is a russling sound when you return it the starting postion. I have queried it with dealer & Rega confirm that is normal. It does nor interfere with the music so no real problem. If I was doing it again I would buy Planar 3's with Exact cartridge.
Thanks for that, I assume the planar 6 wasn't a big step up in sound quality then?

Thanks for that, I assume the planar 6 wasn't a big step up in sound quality then?
The Planar 6 comes as standard with the Neo anyway but it’s definitely a better deck than the Planar 3, with a Neo... but that doesn’t mean the Neo isn’t worthwhile as an upgrade for a Planar 3 because it is, I’d had the two previous TT PSUs with a P5 and I found the Neo to be the biggest performance jump. Get down your Rega dealership with some of your favourite and most familiar albums and have a listen, you’ll know what to do.

advertisement

Back