advertisement

Rega IO vs. Brio 2017

Perhaps a s/h Brio-r might just be your cup o' tea. (I found it a little too smooth/laid back for my taste, but it might just be a great match for you)

Thanks for the recommendation, I will see if I can get hold of one. It will fit nicely with the dac. Smooth and laid back is what I need. :)
I have a sensitive ear (meniere’s) and a forward energetic type sound can be quickly too much for me.

One thing that still makes me wonder about the IO: As it can turn quite warm at times (depending on the volume and/or speaker sensitivity I assume) and all the components are cramped inside the little box with no ventilation holes, I'm wondering if it would have an effect on the capacitors lifespan ? I know that the IO is using its casing to drive off excessive heat, just like for example Naim, but then again, Naim amps get barely warm and there's more room to 'breathe' inside.

I'm wondering if it would have an effect on the capacitors lifespan ? I know that the IO is using its casing to drive off excessive heat, just like for example Naim, but then again, Naim amps get barely warm and there's more room to 'breathe' inside.

I wouldn’t worry too much about this. The capacitors can withstand the heat. My Quad 606 still has original capacitors. And that amp is about 30 years old. :)

Just a quick revival of this used/good condition thread.

I picked up an IO about a month ago. Now surplus, my daughter prefers the Brio-R. I lent it to my son to try with his Fyne 502SPs, his usual amp is a Meridian 101/105s but he's tried a few things. When I asked what he thought of it his reply was 'Can I keep this?'.

I think that says a lot. I use the Merdians myself obviously and I think it's pretty good amplifier, and my son prefers the IO...

As noted on the P6 thread...now running my io with a P6, Mojo 2, and Tukans - wow, what a great system for the money...PRaT, musical, direct, just fun - much better than the UQ2.

I put one of these 120 mm USB PC fans behind my Rega IO earlier as it's now running hot because the temperature in my bedroom is now 25 degrees Celcius and it's not likely to get any cooler anytime soon. I won't need the fan after August I'd imagine but in the rack right now, it's hot!

When I touched the amp after a few hours of music last night at a decent volume it was super hot. I could still keep my hand on it but compared to the Teddy Pardo amp in my living room, it was noticeably hotter. However, when I did the same just now after a few hours, this time with a fan blowing right behind it (at its lowest setting), it was nice and cool to touch.

So there we have it. If your IO runs quite hot (not necessarily hot to the point of failure or fault) then stick a cheap PC fan behind it and that'll do the trick.

61YhqqovKjL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I put one of these 120 mm PC fans behind my Rega IO earlier as it's now running hot because the temperature in my bedroom is now 25 degrees Celcius and it's not likely to get any cooler anytime soon. I won't need the fan after August I'd imagine but in the rack right now, it's hot!

When I touched the amp after a few hours of music last night at a decent volume it was super hot. I could still keep my hand on it but compared to the Teddy Pardo amp in my living room, it was noticeably hotter. However, when I did the same just now after a few hours, this time with a fan blowing right behind it (at its lowest setting), it was nice and cool to touch.

So there we have it. If your IO runs quite hot (not necessarily hot to the point of failure or fault) then stick a cheap PC fan behind it and that'll do the trick.

My IO Derek is in my study by my PC and just been in the lounge and reading your post I put my hand on the IO' s casework.
It has been idling for the last 4 hours so no signal at all.It's hot but not take your hand off hot.
As you say the room temperature isn't helping.Like you I am probably in the mid 70's and it's 10.15 pm.
The Aethos is warmer but always gets warm with music but have never found it to be to hot to burn my hand.
The Aethos heat sinks do a great job.

Yeah the IO is such a sweet sounding non fatiguing amp.I adore mine Rega absolutely nailed it for the price....as they always do with VFM.....Yeah I am a Fanboi :)

Hope all is well at the moment and your Addis Pads...A monster of a thread.
Keep cool ..

My IO Derek is in my study by my PC and just been in the lounge and reading your post I put my hand on the IO' s casework.
It has been idling for the last 4 hours so no signal at all.It's hot but not take your hand off hot.
As you say the room temperature isn't helping.Like you I am probably in the mid 70's and it's 10.15 pm.
The Aethos is warmer but always gets warm with music but have never found it to be to hot to burn my hand.
The Aethos heat sinks do a great job.

Yeah the IO is such a sweet sounding non fatiguing amp.I adore mine Rega absolutely nailed it for the price....as they always do with VFM.....Yeah I am a Fanboi :)

Hope all is well at the moment and your Addis Pads...A monster of a thread.
Keep cool ..

Cheers Ian :)

Yeah, my IO runs warm only too when it's not driving the speakers (Kralk Audio BC-30s; 90db sensitivity) but three hours of loud music doesn't half make it run hot. I was thinking about going for a Brio because it's got a bigger case but the IO does sound good and changing amps is a bit extreme when a small USB PC fan can keep the amp cool during use. It's actually a very effective solution as the case after three hours of use last night wasn't even warm to touch.

I put one of these 120 mm USB PC fans behind my Rega IO earlier as it's now running hot because the temperature in my bedroom is now 25 degrees Celcius and it's not likely to get any cooler anytime soon. I won't need the fan after August I'd imagine but in the rack right now, it's hot!

61YhqqovKjL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Heat is a component killer. Good idea. I got one of these for my Samsung Connect box.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The new Kytes are on my list and probably the way to go in terms of synergy, but they're pretty small and I like rock music :)
Put them 10-20cm away from the wall and in a room your size you’ll be surprised how much foundation you’ll get to the music. Bass, I expect, will be “sufficient”.

I put one of these 120 mm USB PC fans behind my Rega IO earlier as it's now running hot because the temperature

Excellent idea, wonder if these are available with a simple 230V plug rather than USB ?

I had another listening session with my fan-cooled IO last night and the results were the same. I even turned off the fan after 90 minutes or so to see if the amp would warm up, and 10-15 minutes later it had (note: the amp was idle during this period). So I put the fan back on and resumed listening :)

Just a quick revival of this used/good condition thread.

I picked up an IO about a month ago. Now surplus, my daughter prefers the Brio-R. I lent it to my son to try with his Fyne 502SPs, his usual amp is a Meridian 101/105s but he's tried a few things. When I asked what he thought of it his reply was 'Can I keep this?'.

I think that says a lot. I use the Merdians myself obviously and I think it's pretty good amplifier, and my son prefers the IO...
lucky lucky kids. I have one and love it but it is spare and was hoping my wife would put it in the new system i got for her but Nooooo she wanted walnut effect so leak 230 it was. i might just swap it out and take a listen. i bet the IO kills it.

IO is for sale if anyone wants one. last buyer pulled out after the sale.

lucky lucky kids. I have one and love it but it is spare and was hoping my wife would put it in the new system i got for her but Nooooo she wanted walnut effect so leak 230 it was. i might just swap it out and take a listen. i bet the IO kills it.

IO is for sale if anyone wants one. last buyer pulled out after the sale.
What’s the new Leak like?

What’s the new Leak like?
very nice. its not in idea position as its on a side board type unit in our dinning room with amphion argon 1 and a rega p1. got plenty of drive and it all sounds great together even though the source is pretty entry level compared to the rest. shes away for a week soon with work so might start moving stuff around see what its like with my R3 metas and my Technics 1500c and my audio lad 9000cdt

advertisement

Back