advertisement

Rega IO vs. Brio 2017

I had one, loved it, gave it to a friend, he and his whole family love it, I missed it, I bought another one, I love it. Never letting this one go. In current office system with a Mojo and some Canton Plus S's and man does it sound good. Clean and quick - pure music! This is the amp that goes on vacation with us too.

On the original question, I would recommend the Brio-R in the used market over the IO. It is a brilliant amp, with slightly better flexibility, and more power.

The IO is also very good.

I had one, loved it, gave it to a friend, he and his whole family love it, I missed it, I bought another one, I love it. Never letting this one go. In current office system with a Mojo and some Canton Plus S's and man does it sound good. Clean and quick - pure music! This is the amp that goes on vacation with us too.
Sharing is caring

Thinking of trying an IO with my Larsen 4.3’s.
Seems like a wrong amplifier for 4 ohm, 87db speakers, but some Larsen users have good experience with this little amp. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Quad 66/606 :)

Found a IO at a store for 350 euro and a BRIO for 500 euro. Any advice which one to choose to try with the Larsen’s?

This guy didn't take to the Kytes but thought the IO was a fine amp on its own.

Was distinctly underwhelmed by the Kytes myself when I heard them. (and also thought they were quite fugly tbh).

Haven't heard the Dalis with an Io, but the combo is often recommended.

Haven't heard the Dalis with an Io, but the combo is often recommended.
I can now fully understand why. Dali's (at least the Oberon range) may be a little too bright for many people, but it strikes a wonderful balance when combined with the slighty warm sounding IO. (the IO has enough detail and sparkle in the HF but it also has a certain degree of refinement)

Found a IO at a store for 350 euro and a BRIO for 500 euro
I also noticed the add for the IO and Brio! Great prices for amps that are still new, just in an opened box, but with full warranty! :)
If possible I'd try both, if not... I think in your case I'd go for the Brio. (considering it's not that much more money than the IO)

Try both.

Hehe well that thought has also crossed my mind but I have to buy them first..Although I don’t like the visual of the Brio but maybe it’s wiser to pair with the Larsen’s.
Right now I’m playing with a Quad 66/606 combo. I thought for 350, the IO would be fun to try. But maybe it’s a bit silly to do so when I have the Quad to compare with? Hmm temptations…

Last edited:
So the IO arrived today. ;)
Having it warming up atm.
Strange thing I’ve noticed is that the volume goes loud really quickly when turning the knob. The volume knob cannot practically be used beyond 9 o'clock. Then it becomes already too loud. I’ve expected something really different with 4 ohm 87db speakers. This is a bit annoying. Anyone else has this issue with the IO? I am using a Rega Dac.

I also noticed that, Henricus. (although my other amp, a Naim Nait 5i-2 is even worse in that area) I never had the volume beyond 9 o' clock either.

In my experience many/most modern amps suffer from this issue. (although I think the problem has more to do with the high output of most digital sources) I've learned to live with it, by using the digitale volume output of my Bluesound Node, but if someone is using a CD-player I can imagine it being annoying.

Apart from the volume issues, do you like the IO's sound ?

I also noticed that, Henricus. (although my other amp, a Naim Nait 5i-2 is even worse in that area) I never had the volume beyond 9 o' clock either.

In my experience many/most modern amps suffer from this issue. (although I think the problem has more to do with the high output of most digital sources) I've learned to live with it, by using the digitale volume output of my Bluesound Node, but if someone is using a CD-player I can imagine it being annoying.

it’s a nice sounding amp. It’s not as refined and spacious as the Quad combo, but for this price it’s pretty good. Of course its still fresh out of the box, I will see how it sounds after a few days.
I also use a bluesound node, I thought the digital volume should be at 100 procent for the best quality. Am I mistaken?

I also use a bluesound node, I thought the digital vomume should be at 100 procent for the best quality. Am I mistaken?
In theory you are right. Setting the digital volume of the Node to 100% should give the best sound quality. Personally though, I haven't been able to notice a difference. (neither with other streamers I used in the past, like the Sonos Connect and Logitech Squeezebox Touch)

If there is a sonic difference it's not worth it to me, compared to the advantage of using the digital volume control of the BS app.
(using one 'remote' to control all functions, including volume, instead of using the app for streaming duties and the IO's remote for controlling the volume)

Last edited:
I will have to lower the digital volume on the node because there is not much room for the volume knob to manoeuvre before it gets too loud. Basically 8 o’ clock is the max I can tolerate through the Larsen’s. Never had this with other amps.

I will have to lower the digital volume on the node because there is not much room for the volume knob to manoeuvre before it gets too loud. Basically 8 o’ clock is the max I can tolerate through the Larsen’s. Never had this with other amps.

In the BluOS app…settings…audio

you can set the max and min volume levels, dropping the max should help you.

Agreed, there's simply too much voltage output from digital sources. It's been this way for ages now. Buy some attenuators or a Rotel RCD-865 CD Player which at the time had it's detractors due to it's 0.8V output :rolleyes:

First observations on the IO.. It has a nice lively, energetic sound signature. Although a tad rough and forward at times. Especially when compared to the Quad 66/606. Music flows more natural out of the speakers with the Quad. If that makes sense..
For the price it’s a nice amp for sure. Apart from the sensitive volume knob issue it doesn’t have any negative sides as I can tell. It runs much warmer than the 606 but I’d definitely not quality it as hot.
The wife is really taken by its appearance but she made the observation it sounds a bit noisy, pushy ;).
I’ll see how it develops.
I’ve heard from a dealer that Rega is discontinuing the Brio line. Is this going to be the replacement or is there a possibility of a new amp coming out soon? A IO+ maybe..

First observations on the IO.. It has a nice lively, energetic sound signature. Although a tad rough and forward at times. Especially when compared to the Quad 66/606
Thank you for sharing your observations on the IO. I also find it lively and energetic, Perhaps at times even a little forward (just the way I like it), though I wouldn't call it rough. (it sounds more refined than my Naim Nait 5i-2) Perhaps a s/h Brio-r might just be your cup o' tea. (I found it a little too smooth/laid back for my taste, but it might just be a great match for you)

advertisement

Back