advertisement

Rega Elicit R phono stage

Was talking about RP6 v RP8 today, even tough they are similar there is a definite step up with the RP8 - it has a significantly better arm that will take a better cart. I think £3-400 is the most I would spend on a cart on the RP6.

Yes, indeed. I can't quite shake the impression that an RP6 is basically an RP3 with an external power supply (which you can add to the RP3 anyway) and a slightly better brace+platter.

I know there's more to it than that, and I haven't heard one yet of course, but oddly, I don't get particularly excited thinking about it as an upgrade to my aging Planar 3... Maybe it's because they essentially look almost identical.

The RP8 would be good upgrade from what you have!

Oh, I'm sure the RP6 would be too. As I say, I'm going off looks and reviews here and the RP6 just lacks wow-factor in the looks department I think. I really need to listen to them. Hence I'll be on the phone to the dealers next week to book something. Now to select what vinyl to take...

I wish I'd actually known before that the Saturn-R was going to have a discrete DAC in it. I just sold my old Saturn and bought the DAC with a view to obtaining an Apollo-R later on. If I'd known, I would have waited and upgraded to this. :-(

Hi Jamesqdot

I stand to be corrected however as far as I am aware a discrete DAC was planned to be part of the Saturn-R right from the word go.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Jamesqdot

I stand to be corrected however as far as I am aware a discrete DAC was planned to be part of the Saturn-R right from the word go.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I'm sure it was, and I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. It's just that it was never clear to me that that was the case. I don't recall seeing this mentioned in any articles covering preview boxes of the Saturn-R at shows, for example, and nobody at Audio T mentioned anything about it when I talked to them about buying a DAC (and later an Apollo-R) because I wanted to integrate streaming into my system.

It's a shame, because the Saturn-R would have been ideal for my needs and I was genuinely annoyed when I found out about it after the details went up on the Rega site. But as per my previous comments, I'm actually not as fussed now I've heard that the Apollo-R + DAC is kind of a close match.

I very much doubt that the Apollo-R and DAC are anywhere close to the Saturn-R. I owned the Apollo-R and DAC and preferred the Apollo-R without the DAC. I am pretty certain that Rega would attest to the fact that Saturn-R is a considerable step up.

I very much doubt that the Apollo-R and DAC are anywhere close to the Saturn-R. I owned the Apollo-R and DAC and preferred the Apollo-R without the DAC. I am pretty certain that Rega would attest to the fact that Saturn-R is a considerable step up.

I heard both set ups yesterday and yes they are very close so until you have heard the Saturn R your opinion isn't really valid!

Yes the Saturn R is better SQ wise than the Apollo R/DAC combo but not by much.

IMO if you have the Apollo R/DAC you have a fine, flexible source.

IMHO, the Saturn-r is quite a step up from the Apollo-r + DAC. It's so much more tactile, images far better and has greater prescence. It is superb by any standards and for the digital buff has great connectivity.

IMHO, the Saturn-r is quite a step up from the Apollo-r + DAC. It's so much more tactile, images far better and has greater prescence. It is superb by any standards and for the digital buff has great connectivity.

I am sure it is - I only listened to a few tracks off a few CD's so my opinion was only after 30 mins.

Hi hifi_dave

Indeed :) and not forgetting the superior build quality and the single chassis of the Saturn-R CD-DAC :cool:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I was wondering if anyone can help (especially anyone from Rega)? I have an RP6 and Elicit R, using the onboard phono stage. I was recently moving my kit (to clean everything) and had to unplug everything. When I was plugging the phono leads from the RP6 back into the phono inputs on the Elicit R, the top one kind of pushed through and then wouldn't connect. Both phono inputs (red and black) are now a bit loose and wobbly. I was able to rectify this by plugging the bottom phono connector in first and holding it in while then plugging the top one in. There both properly connected but like I say, the connection is wobbly when you move it around by hand.

I since played a few albums and it sounds fine. But obviously a bit disconcerting. Should I have this fixed or should I just leave it..?

Ismanley,

What cables/plugs are you using ? Some "audiophile" cables use oversized plugs to give "better contact" but can result in a very tight fit and possible damage to socket/ pcb.

PD

Ismanley,

What cables/plugs are you using ? Some "audiophile" cables use oversized plugs to give "better contact" but can result in a very tight fit and possible damage to socket/ pcb.

PD
Hi Paul, I'm using the pre-attached cables that the RP6 comes with, it's Rega cables into Rega amp phono sockets.

Ismanley,

If its not an inconvenience could you take it to the dealer you bought it from or any Rega Franchised dealer for them to check all is OK.

PD

Ismanley,

If its not an inconvenience could you take it to the dealer you bought it from or any Rega Franchised dealer for them to check all is OK.

PD
Thanks Paul, my dealer that I bought it from is James-Morrow in Edinburgh and it's just round the corner from where I live so not a problem.

Cheers.

Luke

Luke,

I have advised the guys that you will be in at some point, so Rupert, Daniel and Fraser will take care of you.

Best,

PD

Luke,

I have advised the guys that you will be in at some point, so Rupert, Daniel and Fraser will take care of you.

Best,

PD
Thanks Paul, that's good of you. I'll try and pop in tomorrow lunchtime to have a chat and then take the amp in on Friday as I have a half day that day.

Cheers.

Luke

advertisement

Back