advertisement

Rega Brio r upgrade to Ellicit r.

wezzywest

pfm Member
Hi, i currently have a 2016 Rega Brio r amp and Saturn r CD also 2016. These are paired with a pair of Neat SX2 bought at the same time. I am thinking of upgrading the amp to the Rega Ellicit r. My question is; would this be worthwhile, without upgrading the CD player?
Thanks.

Yes, also consider a Nait XS3. Your CD player is good enough to take you through a couple of upgrades.

CD player is definitely good enough for the Elicit-R, i believe they are at the same level. The dac on the saturn R is also very good. Also consider exposure 3010S2D, i recently upgraded from an Elex-r to the exposure with neat momentum sx3i speakers and its excellent.

Some prefer the Elex-r to the Elicit-r. I've not heard the Elicit-r but I've got the Elex and it's a great sounding amp, in a different league to the Brio I had before. I would like to try naim xs and the exposure as well though.

Yes, also consider a Nait XS3. Your CD player is good enough to take you through a couple of upgrades.

Another option could be a s/h SuperNait 2.
Similar price range as XS3 but much more control over Motive speakers
(I'm selling my SN2,:cool: changing to Aethos)

As far as I know you can't upgrade Saturn/R unless going direct to Isis level.
Maybe Aethos CD is in the cards..?

Thanks once again for the replies. I hadn`t heard of the exposure, so i will check it out. The naim, i will check out any videos on youtube. Its a strange time to upgrade, with all the stores closed for demonstrating what you may want to buy.
Thanks again.

Never heard the Brio but have owned an Elex-R. No problem with the sound but it lacks some of the facilites on the Elicit-R & I could not come to terms with the volume control, so I upgraded to an Elicit-R. I already owned an Elicit-R with a Saturn-R CD player/DAC & they make a good combination. I still have both Elicit-R's but sold the Saturn-R & replaced it with an Oppo 105 as I have quite a few Opera videos & the Oppo plays just about every type of disc to a high level.

I like Elicit/R volume dial and the clear display leds.
Looks and works a pleasure.

Somebody mentioned issues with Aethos volume and difficulties in getting level right by using remote.
Would anyone know progress ?

advertisement

Back