advertisement

Rega Aethos / speakers matching

Neil P

pfm Member
Hi, as anyone got experience of the Rega Aethos amplifier (I'm hankering after one)? Did you find any particularly good/bad speaker pairings? I'm keen on floorstanders only as they're less likely to get bumped and toppled. I heard a very good demo on youtube with Spendor, which I already have, but open to suggestions.

I have an Aethos and currently have ATC SCM20 speakers which are a very good match to my ears. Previously had Proac DT8 and Graham LS6F speakers which were also a good match. I suspect that power is not going to be an issue as the amplifier was measured by HiFi World to have an output of 143 Watts into 8 ohms and 240 into 4 ohms!

It seems very neutral to me with a very tightly controlled bass. Check out the HiFi world and HiFi Choice accessed via Regas website.

Good luck with your search.

It's a gorgeous amplifier. I demoed it versus a 5k Hegel and a Lyngdorf with Room Perfect and the Aethos was the clear winner for me. Very analogue in it's presentation being class A with a sound that kinda warms the soul but with great insight into the music. The performance is effortless and big. Mine is driving a humble pair of ProAc Studio 115s and it's a perfect match as they have amazing bass capabilities and detailed top end. Roy Gandy seems to prefer it to the Osiris so that's a pretty solid recommendation.

I have heard it paired with some Rogers LS5/9s and it is an excellent combination. Great control and dynamics. If I didn’t buy a Sugden it would have been one of my top choices for my Graham LS 5/9s.

I have an Aethos and currently have ATC SCM20 speakers which are a very good match to my ears. Previously had Proac DT8 and Graham LS6F speakers which were also a good match. I suspect that power is not going to be an issue as the amplifier was measured by HiFi World to have an output of 143 Watts into 8 ohms and 240 into 4 ohms!

It seems very neutral to me with a very tightly controlled bass. Check out the HiFi world and HiFi Choice accessed via Regas website.

Good luck with your search.
Which of the speakers had the warmest sound for you?
ATC, Proac or the Graham?

My Aethos drives Falcon Q7s and a pair of Rel T7Xs, no plans to change, I think it'll drive most speakers, it has effortless power

I use mine with Harbeth HL5+ and love the pairing. Quite big an bold but I like that and personally I think it has great grip and detail as well. Seriously thinking of adding a Saturn Mk3 to the equation.

Cracking amp... bested a Naim XS3 and Lyngdorf comfortably, as it should at the price. Pairs great with the Neat Petites and some Dali Opticons I had. The latter needed a bit of kick up the backside and the Rega happily delivered. Tasteful dollop of warmth, grip and proper foot tapping stuff.

The only thing it didn't pair perfectly well with was Dynaudio Heritage Specials. But they are incredibly revealing/fussy to pair with, the Aethos was a bit too punchy for that set-up.

It's much heftier than it looks and it runs quite warm. Second fav amp I've owned.

(I'm moving my Aethos on this week, I may list it on here - never sold on PFM before so need to figure out what's what)

I also demoed this a few yrs back when I was looking to change. Brilliant amp. I think it’s AB but operates at A for the first few watts (could be wrong as I couldn't find anything to support this officially) one of the dealers who demoed the amp told me this. Gets pretty hot when operating, this is what makes me think maybe he’s right…very scientific 😉
I heard it hooked up to Monitor audio gold 300 sounded great.

I've had my Aethos paired with ProAc D20Rs for a couple of years now. I've no desire to change or swap anything at all - it's a pretty decent combo (to my ears anyway).

Which of the speakers had the warmest sound for you?
ATC, Proac or the Graham?
The Grahams for sure. The ATCs are very monitor like, almost forensic and bad recordings are painfully exposed, the Proacs are great but had too much bass for my room but would consider again if we moved.

The Grahams are fairly neutral but slightly warmer than the Proacs. All are excellent in their own way but the LS6F s are more forgiving of poorer recordings and frankly stellar with voice reproduction

Have had an Aethos for 2 years and run it with old Focal Profil 77 floorstanders with great results also Magnepan 1.7 I which are 86 dB but it drives the Mags with no problems.I also have a friend with an Aethos who uses it with Focal 1028 BE' s with great result.
I see you are in Worthing I am in Hove so if you want to pop over for a listen p.m me.
It's a great amp and it's all the amp I really need.
I have used mine with an Audio Research preamp direct into the Aethos poweramp and also the Aethos as a preamp into a Tripath poweramp with fabulous results.So it's also very flexible

Have had an Aethos for 2 years and run it with old Focal Profil 77 floorstanders with great results also Magnepan 1.7 I which are 86 dB but it drives the Mags with no problems.I also have a friend with an Aethos who uses it with Focal 1028 BE' s with great result.
I see you are in Worthing I am in Hove so if you want to pop over for a listen p.m me.
It's a great amp and it's all the amp I really need.
I have used mine with an Audio Research preamp direct into the Aethos poweramp and also the Aethos as a preamp into a Tripath poweramp with fabulous results.So it's also very flexible

Wow, quite a range of options you tried there. I might take you up on that offer, thank you.

Friends run Aethos with Naim and Neat loudspeakers.
Sound on level with 3-box Naim at more than double price.
There's some shortcomings in function, Too sensitive remote control, no light led on volume (would be useful at nights in a half dark room) and a quirky input selector.

advertisement

Back