advertisement

Record Shops

I honestly tend to have fairly low expectations these days, but Elephant Records in Winchester defies them. Three times in a row I've popped in thinking "there's no way they'll have that", and then they just....do.
It's a nice shop - I've found some great stuff in the Sale Box including a musique concrete compilation!

Was hoping to report back from Union Records in Lewes today but there was a sign on the door saying "back at 4:30" and my train was at... 4:25. Ah well. Next time.

There is a new one in Southport, opened today. Some here may know the owner...

Popped in there today for a browse. Mr D has a sensible pricing policy so came away with 4 albums. Would recommend a visit if you are in Southport. There’s also a nice tearoom 2 doors away.

If Mr D is reading this, I’m the bloke who laughed at the comment you left on a Magna Carta album.

Popped in there today for a browse. Mr D has a sensible pricing policy so came away with 4 albums. Would recommend a visit if you are in Southport. There’s also a nice tearoom 2 doors away.

If Mr D is reading this, I’m the bloke who laughed at the comment you left on a Magna Carta album.
Indeed I am reading this and I am afraid I completely stand by my rather dismissive comments on aforementioned album :):) Thanks for the nice comments, best, PD

I caught the bus to Penge in South London this afternoon and had a look in Revolution Records. It's a nice shop with a mix of used and new vinyl in the racks. They seem pretty well stocked for reggae/dancehall/dub/soca etc. I spotted a 1958 reissue of Marty Paich Quartet Featuring Art Pepper on Tampa in the jazz racks but not in a nice enough grade to merit splashing out. Will definitely have another look next time I'm passing.

It looks like it's run as a franchise and they have a few locations.

This one has opened up in my local town, Wellingborough. Although run by a punk (hence the name) they have a surprisingly good selection.

b25lY21zOmM5MjIyNGVkLTc1NzAtNDFkYy05MDA0LTJiOGEzMjQ2MDMwMjo5Mzg0NTY2MC1lNDdmLTRmMzctOTQ1Zi1iYzI3MmY5YmVlNDE=.jpg

Hmmm, are they still going? I went there this afternoon on the off chance and they appeared to be closed, even though Google reckons they should have been open. The website link doesn't appear to be active as such either.

Forgot to mention at the time.. I visited Kingston last month and strolled down to have a look in at Shak's Stack of Wax only to discover a guy ripping out the record racks. Looking on Facebook it seems they closed in March which is a shame as it was a really nice shop.

Hmmm, are they still going? I went there this afternoon on the off chance and they appeared to be closed, even though Google reckons they should have been open. The website link doesn't appear to be active as such either.

I think they're still open - I will check next time in in town.

I used to be a regular visitor to Southport, now only 2-3 times a year.
Thats good to see a second vinyl store opened up. Those Friars Gig posters are truly iconic- I wish I'd have kept all mine.

Have'nt managed a visit to Quicksilver for a while - is he the same guy that used to be Market Records a few doors to the left in a much bigger unit ?

Finally managed a visit to sunny Southport last weekend.
Sadly, Vinylfinders wasn’t quite my bag, but Quicksilver was as good as ever.
Probably back up when take daughter back to Manchester Met September time.

I caught the bus to Penge in South London this afternoon and had a look in Revolution Records. It's a nice shop with a mix of used and new vinyl in the racks. They seem pretty well stocked for reggae/dancehall/dub/soca etc. I spotted a 1958 reissue of Marty Paich Quartet Featuring Art Pepper on Tampa in the jazz racks but not in a nice enough grade to merit splashing out. Will definitely have another look next time I'm passing.

It looks like it's run as a franchise and they have a few locations.

I keep meaning to check that one out. I could walk over on a good day. Next time you head in that direction go up the hill to the Crystal Palace proper. Round the back of the triangle, just further down from the Everyman Cinema, you'll find Mark's record shop. Not sure what it's called! Nice bloke, nice stock. Definitely worth the effort. (Then jump on the bus down to hill to West Norwood and the Book and Record Bar).

I keep meaning to check that one out. I could walk over on a good day. Next time you head in that direction go up the hill to the Crystal Palace proper. Round the back of the triangle, just further down from the Everyman Cinema, you'll find Mark's record shop. Not sure what it's called! Nice bloke, nice stock. Definitely worth the effort. (Then jump on the bus down to hill to West Norwood and the Book and Record Bar).
Thanks for the tip John. I sometimes have a nose around the record stall in the indoor antiques place but rarely find anything interesting (I'm mostly looking for jazz) - I've somehow completely missed Mark's shop Sound Vinyl. Instagram account looks interesting so I'll look in next time I'm there.

Thanks for the tip John. I sometimes have a nose around the record stall in the indoor antiques place but rarely find anything interesting (I'm mostly looking for jazz) - I've somehow completely missed Mark's shop Sound Vinyl. Instagram account looks interesting so I'll look in next time I'm there.
It's vastly better than the stall in Hayne's Lane Market, which I have always found to be stuffed with tatty stock and 'unauthorised' editions. Mark does have quite an interesting jazz selection.

Finally managed a visit to sunny Southport last weekend.
Sadly, Vinylfinders wasn’t quite my bag, but Quicksilver was as good as ever.
Probably back up when take daughter back to Manchester Met September time.
There's another second hand record shop in Southport called Legacy Records. It's close to Vinylfinders....

The general set up and shelves for browsing leave a lot to be desired but still may be worth a visit if you're in the town.

The general set up and shelves for browsing leave a lot to be desired
There's a place down the road from here that's the most chaotic record shop I've ever seen. It's in a block that's due to be demolished. Downstairs is a second hand book shop. Upstairs is records. The owner told me he took out the lease because it was opposite a Spoons and until that closed he used to spend most of the day sitting outside the pub drinking waiting for a customer to wander in to the shop. Most of the staircase is taken up with large stacks of VHS cassettes which makes it a bit tricky to reach the records. None of the records are priced. Browsing any of the racks requires first moving a couple of hundred records piled on top. There are box of records below the racks but they too have piles of records on top. It looks like there was once some semblance of organisation by genre but every section is now effectively 'Misc'. I trawled it a couple of times but got bored of the inevitable haggle over records that were OK but not exactly life changing. It all felt a bit too much like hard work.

Of course there is the Diskery in Birmingham - under new management now and moved site just along Bristol St from their old place in Bromsgrove St - still just as friendly as ever.
Was there about 1 month ago acquired a copy of Who will save the world? - Groundhogs
Of course there is, when it was in Hurst St, it nearly made me bankrupt.

Is the Grounhogs one to go with "Thank Christ for the Bomb", I think my copy is not quite scratch free :)

There's another second hand record shop in Southport called Legacy Records. It's close to Vinylfinders....

The general set up and shelves for browsing leave a lot to be desired but still may be worth a visit if you're in the town.
Thanks for that.
I'm sure I visited this one a couple of times in the past, maybe back when his Dad was still alive.

It was all a bit chaotic and I lost interest pretty quick.

Had a quick look in at the newly opened Upside Down Records in Deptford this afternoon. Lovely shop and they seem to be doing some nice classic hi-fi too - a Systemdek and a pair of Tannoys for example. Nothing caught my eye this time but I'll be popping back.

Photo from their website - there are more records in the racks now : )

Upside-down-records-store-scaled.webp
Was in here the other day. Can recommend. They had a nice selection ranging from first press of velvet underground loaded to £2 cheapos.

advertisement

Back