advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

Started Animal Kingdom, starring Ellen Barkin, and based on the Australian film of the same name.

Recently watched 'My Son' with James McAvoy and Clare Foy, a remake of Mon Garçon, unpleasant subject , quite tense and gripping.
Just finished watching 'Fat Friends' a British comedy/drama series (4 seasons) based around friends in a diet club with some rather serious 'real life' themes, funny and sad at the same time, about 20 odd years old now but very good, some very well known faces from British TV.
We watched Oppenheimer and Barbie recently but I'm sure you've all seen those.

Watched L'Aventura last night, I bought it years ago on the Apple Store, amazing cinematography and fantastic direction and acting, Sicily looks amazing in black and white too, bit of an odd film but I really liked it especially the slow look in to the scenes where you can look round the entire scene and take it all in, there’s a scene where Monica Vitti walks onto a terrace from her bedroom and it’s just her back you see but the vista beyond her is just amazing so you get to have a look at what’s out there sort of thing.

There’s some quite concerning scenes where loads of men converge on a woman in the street (MV and Gloria) and just sort of look at her some of them go right up to her and look right into her face but the woman isn’t really too concerned or frightened she just goes about doing her own thing in one of those scenes MV goes into a hardware shop to get away from Sandro not the men staring at her anyway she asks the shopkeeper, a man, for a tin of blue paint and he goes right out of his way to bring her a few tins of blue paint in various shades but Sandro appears in the shop and they leave without buying anything, the old man just puts the tins of paint back on the shelves and carries on.

Definitely going to watch it again though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Avventura

Last edited:
We are watching and enjoying Fargo 5 on Amazon Prime. Top quality female protagonists, not got to the end yet but hopefully a fitting end for some male characters. It doesn't make you proud to be male.

Watched L'Aventura last night, I bought it years ago on the Apple Store, amazing cinematography and fantastic direction and acting, Sicily looks amazing in black and white too, bit of an odd film but I really liked it especially the slow look in to the scenes where you can look round the entire scene and take it all in, there’s a scene where Monica Vitti walks onto a terrace from her bedroom and it’s just her back you see but the vista beyond her is just amazing so you get to have a look at what’s out there sort of thing.

There’s some quite concerning scenes where loads of men converge on a woman in the street (MV and Gloria) and just sort of look at her some of them go right up to her and look right into her face but they woman isn’t really too concerned or frightened she just goes about doing her own thing in one of those scenes MV goes into a hardware shop to get away from Sandro not the men staring at her anyway she asks the shopkeeper, a man, for a tin of blue paint and he goes right out of his way to bring her a few tins of blue paint in various shades but Sandro appears in the shop and they leave without buying anything, the old man just puts the tins of paint back on the shelves and carries on.

Definitely going to watch it again though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Avventura

Great film. I really want to explore Antonioni's other films. So far, I've only seen The Passenger in which Jack Nicholson's character assumes, on a whim, the identity of a dead arms dealer. Next up, Blow Up, Red Desert, Zabriskie Point...

I caught up with two SF flicks this week. I finished each one quite happily entertained.
First up, Rebel Moon, don't expect intellectual stimulus here and the title pretty much covers the idea, just go with the flow. The introduction is ominously naff but only improves from there.

In the same vein, The Creator, an AI romp.

Great film. I really want to explore Antonioni's other films. So far, I've only seen The Passenger in which Jack Nicholson's character assumes, on a whim, the identity of a dead arms dealer. Next up, Blow Up, Red Desert, Zabriskie Point...
I’ve seen blow up and I think eclipse and I’m sure the passenger.

L'Aventura is amazing though but the characters are pretty cold and hard to like.

I watched Baby Reindeer and Ripley this week. They’re the best shows I’ve watched on Netflix in a long time. Ripley in particular is exceptional. Every frame has been carefully crafted and oozes style. Andrew Scott’s portrayal of Ripley is chilling.

Baby Reindeer as mentioned previously is a tough watch in parts, but still highly recommended.

Rebel Moon part 1 was average and the balance of garbage to good just allowed a viewing and some enjoyment.
Part two is almost complete utter garbage for the first hour I endured, I will give it a break and try again but somehow it is almost a lost cause.

We blitzed through all episodes of Baby Reindeer last night.
Wow! A brave one to make, but thankfully they did. Very British, and better for it.

Watched Anatomy of a Fall on Amazon prime last night.

What a film, absolutely incredible acting from everyone but especially the prosecutor, the wife, the child and the dog.

We couldn’t take our eyes and ears off it no wonder it won the palm dor, highly recommended.

The film even won the palm dog :cool:

an enjoyable new series on Amazon Prime is Fallout based on the game of the same name that was based on the film "A boy and his dog" ( worth seeing ). So the bomb is dropped and some of humanity hides in its bunkers....leaving the rest on top... It has just been renewed for a 2nd season. Okey-Dokey

Another short series is Renegrade Nell on Disney+ which has no woke pretensions just a bit of fun

We blitzed through all episodes of Baby Reindeer last night.
Wow! A brave one to make, but thankfully they did. Very British, and better for it.
Yes, it's a warts-and-all self portrait. Not sure I enjoyed it, but it did make me think!

Good to see the author now has a successful career in drama, because I don't think comedy was meant for him.

advertisement

Back