advertisement

Recommendations for a basic bench power supply?

ncp

pfm Member
Hi guys
can anyone recommend a half-decent bench power supply - there are dozens listed of course, the vast majority "Made in PRC" probably...nothing wrong with this I suppose - some stuff is absolutely fine but there's also some stuff that's a fair bit less than fine.
Ideally it would go to 40V, high current not needed.
atb
NP

Bit of a traditionalists me

Ive got two of these Thurlby 320 supply's
They give just 30v and 2amps
But can be linked to give 60v 2amps OR 30v 4amps

Pick up on ebay for £25 ish (or you could when I got them

Ps
They do give over spec ie 32v and 2.1A

Pps
Just looked..there's a double unit on ebay currently at £39

https://flic.kr/p/WyJFn9
https://flic.kr/p/WXyEek

That didn't occur to me! Putting two in series. Very little above 30V for smallish outlays - so many thanks and I'll take a look at the Thurlbys - I don't care if they look like they date from the time of Faraday - in many ways I prefer it!
Thanks again, Neil

Traditional PSU (as in TX rather than SMPS) sell for peanuts on EPay, unless you want HP, Agilent etc. etc..

They sell for so little that the only very, very occasional dabbler can justify having one in the loft.

(Thurlby here too.)

The other oldie but goldie to track down is the RS bench contactor block - I can't find mine at the moment............ It has the RS stock no. embossed within the moulding (now, long obsolete, so far as I am aware).
Open the top and there are 3 isolated connections via what are essentially croc' clips. Close the top and they are connected to mains.

The other oldie but goldie to track down is the RS bench contactor block - I can't find mine at the moment............ It has the RS stock no. embossed within the moulding (now, long obsolete, so far as I am aware).
Open the top and there are 3 isolated connections via what are essentially croc' clips. Close the top and they are connected to mains.
The Cliff Quicktest, still available, for example:

Quicktest Mains Connector Block with 1.5m Lead / 13A Plug - Cliff Electronic Components | CPC (farnell.com)

advertisement

Back