advertisement

Recommend me two albums from 2005 that you think you'll still be playing 5 years from

sideshowbob said:
Oh dear, I thought LCD Soundsystem was really boring, apart from one track, so I sold it after giving it a couple of listens.

I think I'll still be listening to this five years from now.

-- Ian
Ian that's cheating! surely only consider first released in 2005? Otherwise "One Up One Down" would qualify and might make me revise my choices again.

Edited to add: actually it does qualify. Not sure what the rules are now. Feeling disorientated.

Ian-

You are right. LCD Soundsystem is a bad album with the shelf life of a spread of sashimi. I could eat sashimi all day, but 1 or 2 LCD Soundsystem tracks is enough for me.

PS- What's with those childish hand claps?

Greg said:
Edited to add: actually it does qualify. Not sure what the rules are now. Feeling disorientated.

It does indeed. It was released this year, but recorded last year. Not sure why it took so long to get released.

-- Ian

sideshowbob said:
It does indeed. It was released this year, but recorded last year. Not sure why it took so long to get released.

-- Ian
I think then 1. Foos 2. Coltrane 3. Antony 4. LCD

Agreed on LCD as a cd, but everyone needs a copy of Losing My Edge. Surely as good a song about contributors to PFM as will ever be written!

"I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know.

But have you seen my records? This Heat, Pere Ubu, Outsiders, Nation of Ulysses, Mars, The Trojans, The Black Dice, Todd Terry, the Germs, Section 25, Althea and Donna, Sexual Harrassment, a-ha, Pere Ubu, Dorothy Ashby, PIL, the Fania All-Stars, the Bar-Kays, the Human League, the Normal, Lou Reed, Scott Walker, Monks, Niagra,

Joy Division, Lower 48, the Association, Sun Ra,
Scientists, Royal Trux, 10cc,

Eric B. and Rakim, Index, Basic Channel, Soulsonic Force ("just hit me"!), Juan Atkins, David Axelrod, Electric Prunes, Gil! Scott! Heron!, the Slits, Faust, Mantronix, Pharaoh Sanders and the Fire Engines, the Swans, the Soft Cell, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics.

The full things is here:

http://www.letssingit.com/?/lcd-soundsystem-losing-my-edge-2dhhzk2.html

Kevin

I actually own Daft Punk's "Homework" on account of Vuk insisting it was something approaching a work of genius. This ultimately convinced me that Vuk knows as much about popular music as my Mum -- who likes Glenn Miller -- does about Free Jazz. Or as Mick Parry knows about anything :)

However, Vuk is aces & skill on classical recommendations and his Vivaldi recommendation would be another 2005 keeper for me. Assuming it was 2005.

Matthew

I think these two will be timeless classics, personally....

Monolake - Polygon_Cities
Marc Leclair - Musique Pour 3 Femmes Enceintes

----

p.s.

just hit me, they won't be "personal timeless classics" since I won't live forever. but you got the idea, I hope.

kjb said:
....everyone needs a copy of Losing My Edge. Surely as good a song about contributors to PFM as will ever be written!
Yes, quite appropriate. The Killers album (Hot Fuss) is actually from 2004, so my edge is now completely blunt.

kjb said:
Agreed on LCD as a cd, but everyone needs a copy of Losing My Edge. Surely as good a song about contributors to PFM as will ever be written!

"I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know.

But have you seen my records? This Heat, Pere Ubu, Outsiders, Nation of Ulysses, Mars, The Trojans, The Black Dice, Todd Terry, the Germs, Section 25, Althea and Donna, Sexual Harrassment, a-ha, Pere Ubu, Dorothy Ashby, PIL, the Fania All-Stars, the Bar-Kays, the Human League, the Normal, Lou Reed, Scott Walker, Monks, Niagra,

Joy Division, Lower 48, the Association, Sun Ra,
Scientists, Royal Trux, 10cc,

Eric B. and Rakim, Index, Basic Channel, Soulsonic Force ("just hit me"!), Juan Atkins, David Axelrod, Electric Prunes, Gil! Scott! Heron!, the Slits, Faust, Mantronix, Pharaoh Sanders and the Fire Engines, the Swans, the Soft Cell, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics.

The full things is here:

http://www.letssingit.com/?/lcd-soundsystem-losing-my-edge-2dhhzk2.html

Kevin
AlexG - this could almost have been written for you ;)

Fans of HMHB will know the following to the tune of Agadoo:

Husker Du, du du
Captain Beefheart, ELO
Chris de Burgh, Sun Ra
Del Amitri, John Coltrane.

matthewr said:
Fans of HMHB will know the following to the tune of Agadoo:

Husker Du, du du
Captain Beefheart, ELO
Chris de Burgh, Sun Ra
Del Amitri, John Coltrane.

Irk the purists, irk the purists
Come on now boys it's right good laugh
Irk the purists at the back!

2 for the future from 2005?

err

Big Star - In Space

Eels - Blinking Lights

Even though they're only available on CD

PS - The DJ friendly double 200g vinyl pressing of the LCD Soundsytem thing is quite nice. As is the first pressing of the Gorillaz thing. But then again I'm an ancient 47 and of course wouldn't be allowed to listen to such things.

Ahem.

P

advertisement

Back