advertisement

Recommend me a preamp, please

Markus S

41 - 29
Requirements:

Great sound. Single-ended and balanced outputs. At least 4 line inputs. No separate power supply, no bigger than standard hi-fi component size.

Remote is nice but not essential.

New or used, the less expensive the better but flexible on price.

I don't think there will be many pres which have balanced outs but not ins. But so far I don't have a balanced source, so balanced ins are not currently a high priority.

Only reason for the balanced out requirement is the nCore which by all accounts sounds better when driven balanced, and that's the power amp I want to try next. I suppose I could use a balancing transformer on the single-ended outs of just about any pre, of course, but I'd like to avoid the rat's nest of cables that tends to go with bodged solutions.

Audio-Research-LS16-Mk2-front-logo.jpg

1999-2000 Audio Research LS16 Line Stage (Original RRP $2,995)

ARC Database: http://www.arcdb.ws/LS16/LS16.html

If you are looking for a pre amp that does not degrade your signal and does not compress dynamics, I would recommend you a 'custom build' Truth pre amp from The Hornshoppe.

Unfortunately the designer has not put much on his website about the pre, but they are selling faster then he can build them.

I posted a link to some 'First Impressions' of this pre and my review with pictures of the pre. Mine shown is one of the first once produced and look still a little DIY.

During the production run, the cosmetic has somewhat improved and they now look less DIY - as I was told.

Price is under a grand and you can have it configured the way you want it.

http://thehornshoppeforum.com/index.php?topic=286.0

Also, selector switch and balance control (not yet installed in mine when picture was taken) are on the front now.

Music First Audio passives - my Classic has four unbalanced and two balanced inputs and one set each of balanced and unbalanced outputs.
I have successfully used it with an Avondale power amp and, more to your point, via both types of output to an SAC KT88 valve amp.

Its only just been discontinued but last RRP was £1200, so should find one for well under £1k.
I believe a new 851 series pre is due which if the new 851 integrated is an indicator will be very similar but more expensive.

Markus

why not get your chap to solder some XLR's onto the second output of the Vibe.

It's a damned fine pre - almost up there with a 52.

advertisement

Back