advertisement

Receiving goods from the EU

colinp

pfm Member
I am about to send some amp panels to Schaeffer in Germany for engraving, punching etc. I know about using the CN22 form and filling it in to avoid Schaeffer paying duty and charging me.

What I'm not sure about is what they need to do when returning them. I asked them and they just said that, because the UK is no longer in the EU, they wouldn't add VAT on the bill. I thought that they would need to be registered with HMRC and include VAT at 20%?

Anyone else been down this path?

I am about to send some amp panels to Schaeffer in Germany for engraving, punching etc. I know about using the CN22 form and filling it in to avoid Schaeffer paying duty and charging me.

What I'm not sure about is what they need to do when returning them. I asked them and they just said that, because the UK is no longer in the EU, they wouldn't add VAT on the bill. I thought that they would need to be registered with HMRC and include VAT at 20%?

Anyone else been down this path?
They don't need to be registered with UK HMRC, they just need to make it clear that they are only billing you for the engineering work done and not the whole item value. Then you only pay UK VAT on the work value.

So far, one of the most stupid arrangements between the EU and UK is this:

https://www.globalvatcompliance.com/brexit-goods-below-135/

Couriers are not implemeting it properly, so sometimes charging our cusotmers when they should not be charged. Ebay has made a mess of it and charged our customer VAT at point of sale and then Parcelforce has charged them again at point of import. Noone can remember what to do. I still can't remember which way round it is. Consequently we send everything to UK with a value of 9 quid on the CN 22 or 3 and don't put an invoice in the box.

I would love to know if anyone can explain why the UK decided that the GBP135 rule is good.

advertisement

Back