advertisement

Really big lenses

garyi said:
I feel that I might regret that though, who knows young Eddie might take an interest when he is older.

We need to move house!

You'll only accumulate even more tat to fill the available space (I speak from bitter experience). Our loft is choc-a-bloc with stuff Mrs H is 'keeping for the grandchildren' which I fervently hope won't arrive for quite a number of years.

michaelab said:
Is that the same way that some people "learn to hear" the differences between audiophool cables? Does having a good imagination help? :D

Its certainly possible to "over interpret", and many
of the early telescopic observers did so.

These days at least you have a genuine reference of the original (photos through bigger telescopes etc) to compare with if you are worried
about accuracy.

Garyi,

You should just try it out on Jupiter if your sky is clear to the south. Very bright yellowish disk, due south in the early part of the night, say around 11 pm, about 20° up in the sky, hard to miss at the moment - it is the brightest thing in the sky by far. It does not twinkle at all. You will see the satellites close by. See if that encourages you.

Gary,

As you zoom in, Jupiter should look something like this --

jupiter2.gif

Joe

Alas no, in the end I gave it back and they sold it to a friend for 200 quid. I said I probably could have got more for it.

As it goes we have just agreed on a new house, with oddles of room and a garage. Doh!

advertisement

Back