advertisement

Really big lenses

garyi

leave blank
Any one into astronomy?

I have just scored a mead celestron telescope at the hideous cost of nothing and may need a hand setting it up.

And here she is! Boy did I do well. Meade model 2080 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain is has a meade 25 mm lens plus a 2X barlow lens and a Plossl 40mm lens

tele.jpg

A mate of mine has a similar telescope. His has the motorised mount and the 'computer' control thingy which:

a) keeps the telescope pointing at the object you want (the earths rotation quickly 'moves' objects out of the field of view otherwise).
b) once calibrated you can type in a destination (eg, "the moon", "alpha centauri" etc.) and it will whirr and chug until the scope is pointing at your chosen object.

Boys and their toys....

Yes this one has a motor which you set to follow an object. The preson I got it off does not believe its connectable to a computer though.

Turns out there are two cheap bits I need to hook up my D50, I feel a whole host of geek filled fun evenings ahead, Joe would feel proud.

Gary, I have a roughly similar scope.

You may already know this, but:
- the black thing on the top is a Telrad: a simple and useful device for finding objects in the night sky. It looks like the former owner rigged up a dew shield for it.
- I don't think the 2080 is computer controlled, however, it's definately motorized and will track objects across the sky. Assuming it's not computerized, it will be up to you to find the objects, however, using a skychart and the Telrad.
- You will likely want some nicer eyepieces for good viewing. A good place to find them used is www.astromart.com
- An excellent freeware download for finding stuff in your night sky is Cartes du Ciel:
http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/

Thanks Eric.

I am going to be a bit basic to start. I will point it out the window and see what is in the sky. I would love to get pictures though.

I just need to establish what I need. I can get a t mount adaptor for the camera. and I found a device that fits to a Meade, but it doe snot mention specific models. Presumably I could find an eye piece which would allow the attachment of a camera?

Its a win win, if I don't like it I can sell it and keep the money!

Gary, basic astrophotography should be possible with this scope. You don't typically use an eyepiece with the camera: the scope itself is the camera's lens. I'm guessing that your scope is an F/10, although some Meade SCTs are 6.3.

The main challenges in astrophotography, at least for beginners, are:
- getting the object in the center of the image (difficult since you usually can't see it)
- getting the drives to track the object perfectly for the long exposures needed (here there's an inherent limit in the accuracy of the Meade's drives, but you'll still be able to do something).
- finding the right exposure settings. A good forum for astrophotography is: http://www.cloudynights.com/

Your near-term challenge will be getting this scope collomated, tracking properly, and then finding objects. Meade SCTs are pretty easy to collimate (precisely adjust the mirrors), but you'll need to do it to get good visual or photographic results. A quick google turned up this instruction page:
http://www.sctscopes.net/SCT_Tips/Maintenance/Collimation/collimation.html

Thanks Eric. It comes with instructions and should I need it a person! Thanks for your info though. I appreciate I am a complete n00b where this is concerned.

But yes I can see how I would need to track on a long exposure.

ErikL said:
An excellent freeware download for finding stuff in your night sky is Cartes du Ciel: http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/
The best "planetarium" software I've seen is Celestia. Pretty addictive even if you're not particularly into astronomy. What makes it unique AFAIK is that you can set the point of view anywhere so you can see what the sky would look like if you were on the moon for example. Runs on Windows, Linux or OS X.

It's pretty awesome really. Kind of like a Galaxy verion of Google Earth. You can set the time to any time in the past or future aswell and then let the time elapse in real time or as fast/slow as you like.

Gary,

That lens is a piece of junk. Please rubbish it immediately! I'll PM an address you can send it to for disposal.

(bastard!)

Joe

P.S. Bastard!

I certainly has crap bokeh. It is a mirror lens after all.

Gary, have you sent it to that disposal facility in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada yet?

Joe

Its not even in my greasy little mits yet.

I am a bit concerned as I offered to pick it up but was told it would not fit in my car and would be bought over in a range rover. We live in a small cottage haha.

advertisement

Back