advertisement

(re) Terminating Dynaudio OCOS cable - is this possible?

daws0n

pfm Member
Hey everyone

I've recently taken delivery of a pair of dynaudio OCOS speaker cables. On paper they should be a perfect match for my speakers... They are an unusual coaxial design that use proprietary SUHNER male connectors that join onto (supplied) -/+ adapter. My amp's binding posts need the adapters, the speakers can accept the OCOS male ends as-is.

This particular pair is quite old and has been modified by a previous owner at some point. One end is as it should be, but the other has had the male terminator chopped off. In it's place are soldered red / black cables of unequal lengths. I am measuring continuity between these positive / negative cables which suggests they are touching underneath the heatshrink.

I am hesitant to use them further and would like to get the modified ends re-terminated back to factory spec. Does anyone know if this is possible? Looking online, it appears to require a special crimping tool.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dawson

Sounds like co-axial RF cable. Leaving aside that these are optimized for RF signals rather than for audio; you definitely don't want to use any cable that shows continuity between +ve/-ve, as amplifier output stages will typically self-destruct when shorted.

Rather than using adapters, and assuming that you are sorted at the loudspeaker end, why not re-terminate with whatever your amp direct connects with (e.g. well insulated tails with spade or banana connectors)?

They look horrible, not sure I'd be using any cable that has capacitors and resistors fitted to the adaptors/RF Filters.

I assume these are them, if so there are plenty of examples online where people have replaced the cable connectors with bananas and done away with the (silly) filters.

s-l1600.jpg

Yes that's them. My pair has the male ends on one side as expected, but the other end has been hand modded with soldered -/+ wiring.

It's unusual stuff... I usually stick with plain copper cable, but since my speakers have the dedicated OCOS inputs I couldn't pass up the opportunity to give them a try. You can read about the construction here:

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/ring/ring.html

The RFC filters you mention were built into black adapters and cost more, the red ones use straight through cabling as far as I am aware. I have a set of the red adapters, but no way to use them without new males end to fit them onto. If re-crimping is unlikely I'll see if anyone is willing to mod them (again) with fresh - / + cables for the amplifier side.

If you are getting a short between black and red then it will blow your amp up or make it go into protection as soon as it is switched on! If you have the other end still connected to speakers when getting this measurement then you will be measuring the DC resistance of the speakers... which could be as low as 3 Ohms for 4 Ohm speakers.

If they have had black and red tails properly soldered on and with 4mm banana plugs at the end of the tails plus decent insulation over the soldering then I can't see what the problem is....

...other than someone (not necessarily the OP) having paid well over the odds for two runs of RF coax that the cable guy would have happily left behind for free? :)

I have a termination kit for ocos that I bought on eBay for my personal use. I can re terminate the ends for you but I'm located in the Denver Co area. I realize this is an old post but if you still have the ocos cables, you have options. Steve

advertisement

Back