advertisement

Raspberry Pi as headless streamer

I have the new Pi 3 and with new piCoreplayer the sound is better, than with Pi B 2.
Bits are bits.
Maybe it is all about clock and stream regularity. More powerfull Pi can deliver a more regular data stream ? When playing 24/96 cpu load is 0,1% ...

Greg, any chance piCore is going to add AP mode so that adding the Pi to a home WiFi network and setup no longer requires ethernet but can just use the on board WiFi of Pi3?

I have the new Pi 3 and with new piCoreplayer the sound is better, than with Pi B 2.
Bits are bits.
Maybe it is all about clock and stream regularity. More powerfull Pi can deliver a more regular data stream ? When playing 24/96 cpu load is 0,1% ...

Need a Pi3 here then.

Thanks Greg, I'll check that out. Shame about AP as it just makes a neat and tidy solution but appreciate the development cost implementing it.

I've stuck my toe into the world of the PI for music streaming, and it was painless.

I was using a squeezebox Touch, now migrated to the living room, with a NAP160 and a pair of Rega Kytes (nice!). I replaced it with a Pi3, a HIFIBerry Digi+ feeding a Dactilus 2 DAC. It was simple to download and flash piCorePlayer on to an 8Gb SD Card, set up wifi, point the piCorePlayer at the Digi+ board and I have a great streamer for stored music (on a Synology NAS) and Spotify. Seriously impressed and sounds pretty good to boot.

Just need to sort a non-steel case out for the Pi and the Digi+ now.

Thank you to all on the thread for inspiring me to setting this up.

Hi chilly,

I am happy the piCorePlayer install was easy.

It's a great feeling getting music to come out of this little computer and I think it sounds better than is should!

regards

Just bought a PI3 ;)
What Dac shoud I buy ?
What music player should I buy to play my Flac files from my NAS ?

Alan

Volumio or Moode.

Volumio is in a bit of a flux, leaving 1.5 behind and moving to version 2 (with a host of fresh bugs; Pi seems OKish, the situation for Cubox, though, is dire since iOS10 broke the Volumio control webapp).

Moode seems more stable at the moment.

Just bought a PI3 ;)
What Dac shoud I buy ?
What music player should I buy to play my Flac files from my NAS ?

Alan

I use both PiCorePlayer, and Max2Play - they both have pro's and cons. I do run LMS and Squeezelite on one Pi, which works, but I do have some issues with ticking noises when running squeezelite and other players at the same time. Not really got to the bottom of it, but there is a new release of PiCorePlater out this week, so I'll be doing a re-install at the weekend. Max2play is useful if you use a DAC or amp that attaches to the Pi, as they have built in support for all the popular ones - I use a HiFiBerry Amp+ for my battery powered garden system with Max2Play and it works really well.

As I'm a Squeezebox user, I've not tried Volumio and the others, but a friend has and has been happy with the results.

As for DAC - PiCorePlayer has a page of various DACs and the required settings, but some of the DACs that attach to the Pi are remarkably good, and have the advantage of I2S connection thus avoiding SPDIF and clocking issues. You'd have to spend quiet a lot of money on a standalone DAC to get an obvious advantage. Obviously if you have more than one source, then a DAC/Pre would be a good choice - I use an MDAC.

Just bought an IQAudIO DAC+ to try on my PI3 streamer. The DAC gets good reviews, so we'll see...

advertisement

Back