advertisement

Raspberry Pi as headless streamer

Hi Jeremy
Sounds interesting. Can the Wandboard output I2S as well as SPDIF? Does the latest version of Community Squeeze support DSD? Could be a goer if the answer to these questions is yes.:)

I don't actually know the answer to either, but the wandboard is a two part device, with a processor board and an i/o board as standard. The i/o board has HDMI, analogue, USB, SP/DIF (optical) at least.

Plenty of info via the community squeeze website, may answer your questions.

Just a quick note re: Wandboard: After wasting countless hours trying to get an RPI board to work with a USB (XMOS) dac, I just gave up, and moved to the Dual-Core Wandboard. Needless to say, it worked like a charm, playing 192/24 flac files, using J-River DLNA server.
Keep in mind that the optical SPDIF interface doesn't work due to a layout mistake - not much of a big deal if you ask me.

Just a quick note re: Wandboard: After wasting countless hours trying to get an RPI board to work with a USB (XMOS) dac, I just gave up, and moved to the Dual-Core Wandboard. Needless to say, it worked like a charm, playing 192/24 flac files, using J-River DLNA server.
Keep in mind that the optical SPDIF interface doesn't work due to a layout mistake - not much of a big deal if you ask me.

Ah, that is useful to know... I'm designing a case for my Wandboard and was wondering about allowing access to the optical, just in case, now I don't have to!

IMG_0429_zps8150c89f.jpg

IMG_0430_zpsaf4ca7aa.jpg

This is a good open case with WiPi, piCorePlayer with hifiberry digi optical output.

The incorrectly wired Toslink has been addressed by the Wandboard people. If yours is incorrectly wired then it means you have an old revision (A0). All new boards should be shipped with the new release and correctly wired Toslink.

Hi Jeremy
Sounds interesting. Can the Wandboard output I2S as well as SPDIF? Does the latest version of Community Squeeze support DSD? Could be a goer if the answer to these questions is yes.:)

The Wandboard with CSOS (Community Squeeze OS) supports audio over SPDIF, HDMI and USB out of the box. For I2S you probably need to solder some stuff and there is the question of drivers. But I suppose it can be done if none of the other audio options work for you.

The incorrectly wired Toslink has been addressed by the Wandboard people. If yours is incorrectly wired then it means you have an old revision (A0). All new boards should be shipped with the new release and correctly wired Toslink.

Hi Delange
It is a new board.
Cheers, Yair

The Wandboard with CSOS (Community Squeeze OS) supports audio over SPDIF, HDMI and USB out of the box. For I2S you probably need to solder some stuff and there is the question of drivers. But I suppose it can be done if none of the other audio options work for you.

This guy used to sell kits that convert from USB or SPDIF into I2S, however:
1. SPDIF board is no longer available.
2. USB board is available but its based on the old TI chip, which means 44/48KHz only. It's excellent however.
3. I2S is in Philips format, which means it may not work with newer chips.

Cheers, Yair

IMG_0429_zps8150c89f.jpg

IMG_0430_zpsaf4ca7aa.jpg

This is a good open case with WiPi, piCorePlayer with hifiberry digi optical output.

A second vote of satisfaction with this open case which I also use with piCorePlayer with i2s output too a Buffalo II. I've also had quite significant improvements from replacing the 5v power supply with a linear one with a cap multiplier feeding the capacitive load of the pi. I can't imagine such a supply would be detrimental to the pi/HifiBerry combination either.

John

I've also had quite significant improvements from replacing the 5v power supply with a linear one with a cap multiplier feeding the capacitive load of the pi.

What kind of improvements? Does the i2s propagate power supply noise into the Buffalo II?

I haven't yet done double blind testing but 3 people have agreed with me that the linear supply sounds better than the standard wall wart supply. Subjective descriptions are perhaps not wanted but I expect some of the improvement is the incoming noise and its effect upon the clock supply and thus its performance. I haven't the equipment to measure the noise or jitter on the i2s lines and clock supplies on the pi properly but will take a look with both supplies with my 20MHz scope. I am certain that any supply has to be stable with the on board load capacitance and its (low) ESR or risk significant ringing unless damped by series resistance.

The SMPS wallwart supply can also effect other nearby audio system supplies.

John

John,

Thanks for the helpful explanation.

I expect some of the improvement is the incoming noise and its effect upon the clock supply and thus its performance.

I am not familiar with the clock management in the Buffalo II - does it separate the i2c and audio clock domains, or does it have a PLL-derived master clock?

John,

Thanks for the helpful explanation.

I am not familiar with the clock management in the Buffalo II - does it separate the i2c and audio clock domains, or does it have a PLL-derived master clock?

Nor me. that might be one to ask Russ over on his DIYAudio Forum.

j

Just tried a 5V linear supply and discovered some things about the usb cable from a computer. The standard of the cable is amazing. About three layers of screening.

A usb to micro cable was so poor, the WiPi wouldn't start. A replacement cable was all it needed.

The power supply is now four times the size of the Pi.

And it sounds:

a) better
b) worse
c) the same?

PS: Just installed my HifiBerry Digi board, running on standard 5v PSU thingy optically into my DAC, and really sounds quite nice! PiCorePlayer 1.14d.

I'm going to do some testing of two or three power supplies, the hifiberry dac and the hifiberry digi and the wolfson, if only I can get my finger out.

Hmmm. Would be interesting - I've a pile of testing on the agenda for the next few weeks, but it's been on my to-do list for a while. Need . . . more . . . hours in the day.

At the moment i am using Rpi-usb-waveio-i2s-Buffalo.
Howto get i2s from Rpi into Buffalo ? Any hints ?

advertisement

Back