advertisement

Radio Recommendations?

Paul L

coffee lounge for me
In the 90's I demmed a Linn Kudos and NAT02 at home. Thought both were fine, took a couple of days to really work out my preference, felt the Linn had more life but was prepared to believe the NAT came into its own on live broadcast which was its reputation. Convenience of the Kudos was better but ultimately could not afford either.

With the demise of broadcasting quality I bought a Denon TU260L MKII last year and I have a loft aerial but the quality and reception is not great and it should be here in Surrey. So, not getting the enjoyment I should. I do not have the opportunity to look at a Ron Hill budget of aerial.

Can a strong quality signal be extracted from the humble Denon if I re-visit the aerial situation economically or is there a better path down the classic tuner route for little money?

I have never heard the likes of a Leak Troughline and know nothing about them or other revered tuners in terms of build quality, reliability or whether one risks opening Pandora's box by heading this way.

Any comments from airwaves experts out there much appreciated.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Try a NAD 4020....cheap and bitchin'

4020 on ebay

hth,

dave

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi Paul,
In my experience I have found that it is imperative to sort out the aerial first. Like you, I live in Surrey and have to use a loft aerial. I started out with an NAD 402, a tuner of similar quality to yours, and upgraded to a NAT02 to improve the sound quality.

Well, it did improve the sound quality but it never sounded as good as it had at the Naim dealers. "Improve your aerial!" he recommended, so I tried various inexpensive solutions but none was very successful. Then he suggested I try Ron Smith Aerials who he considered the best in the business.

Cor... what a difference! Problem solved. Even trying the old NAD was a revelation. I agree this is a fairly expensive option but its one I've never felt the need to regret. So good was the improvement that twelve years on I've never felt the need to upgrade. Who needs digital radio, pah!

So the long and short of it is.....don't waste money trying to improve the tuner until the aerial is sorted out. As they say, been there, done that, got the tee shirt!

Looking forward to the Prom Concerts in July,
Regards,
Tony.B

Agree fully concerning the aerial (didn't read your post carefully enough--still own the Denon). I just relocated my ST-2 antenna outdoors and it made a huge difference in sound quality.

regards,

dave

The problem is those pesky North Downs between you and Wrotham. If only the beeb would put stuff out from Crystal Palace!

BTW, anyone remember the glorious time the BBC did a feed of Rado 1 (I think it was) via analogue land line to Crystal Palace. Wonderful. Blew the nicam crap totally out of the water.

Cheers,

Nic (who now lives in Wilts, and it's even worse)

advertisement

Back