advertisement

Radford/ Tannoy question

Evo

pfm Member
My Black Rhodium Twirl speaker cable has failed. The right hand channel is crackling and I have isolated the cable as culprit. I will either have to replace the cable with another length of Twirl or seek an alternative and replace both cables with something different.
I use a Radford STA 25 into a pair of Tannoy Cheviots with external crossovers from RFC. I know plenty of you have a similar setup, what speaker cable have you been using?

Sounds like you've got a dodgy connection at one end of the cable. Assuming you haven't exposed them to any rough handling, have you considered talking to the supplier as you may have a warranty which will cover repair or replacement?

Reactions: Evo
I use the Fisual S Flex in the thickest (4mm) variant. It's very well priced and I don't see the need to spend any more. I'm not a believer in expensive cables with massive profit margins.

It seems likely that one of your banana plugs just needs doing again. There may be a friendly DIY minded fishie nearby who can solder it for you.

Sounds like you've got a dodgy connection at one end of the cable. Assuming you haven't exposed them to any rough handling, have you considered talking to the supplier as you may have a warranty which will cover repair or replacement?
I bought the cables of another Fish so no warranty. I will have a look at the banana plugs before spending any money.

I bought the cables of another Fish so no warranty. I will have a look at the banana plugs before spending any money.

I've seen vendors say Black Rhodium offer a lifetime warranty, and it might be transferrable (so covers the product not the purchaser). Definitely worth an email to them to check. If you feel you can fix it yourself, then go that route.

https://black-rhodium.co.uk/AboutUs

Check that it swaps sides if you swap speaker cables.
Yes, that was my first test and how I found that it was the cable rather than the other components- when swapped the other speak exhibited the same crackle.

I’ll flow some solder through the terminal if you’re nearby..

Ah, just read the post above my quoted one. No - I’m 4 hours away!

advertisement

Back