advertisement

R.C.M. Pro-Ject VC-E

I don't have the condensation issue because I only do one or two discs at a time.
However, If I did, I would use the LP sized plastic 'protective disc' supplied with the machine....

It’s hopeless. Fluid can sneak between it and the vinyl when you’re washing / rinsing, and the end result is worse than just not using it. It is not a good fix for the issue!

I have the Mk1 version of the smaller machine. The humid exhaust is a real oversight in terms of design. Like others i have fashioned a deflector.

However, the vacuum pump failed on mine in spectacular fashion. It was repaired under warranty. I must have cleaned 2000 lps before it failed.
The bearing seals let moisture into the bearings and washed out the grease. This lead to bearing collapse and then the pump impeller clashed with the housing. Nice noise, some smoke followed by a nasty griding noise.
The internals of these machines are quite cheaply build with a cheap vacuum pump. The wiring is quite a mess too.
Anyway, repaired under warrenty and tested on return. The HG does most of my cleaning duties now.

I like my VCE, I only clean 2 LPs at a time, so no exhaust issues. There is something magical about cleaning a maybe 40 y/o record to appear brand new.

Now I'm in the habit of cleaning new LPs.

:)

I've had a Nitty Gritty 1.0 rcm since 1985. I removed the plug from the catch tank and just let the waste atomize and evaporate. It doesn't even leave a mark on the tabletop below the hole.

advertisement

Back