advertisement

R.C.M. Pro-Ject VC-E

Just to round off my request for more info on these machines; I ended up buying the smaller VC-E.

I have tried very hard not to buy an RCM, and have concocted home made attachments for Henry amongst other efforts with limited success. I have to play my records in some pretty hostile environments, the worst being a monthly night at a climbing wall for their competition nights. The chalk dust from a couple of hundred climbers going about their business is horrendous. Apart from the dust that sits on top of the surface, there are spirals of white where the stylus pushes the chalk deep into the grooves. I was at the point of giving up this gig for the sake of my records and had been buying doubles of important tracks to mitigate the pain of seeing my records destroyed.

Anyway; strap me sideways, the machine really works. The chalk is gone, and the records sound crisp and fresh. A real result for me as I can carry on playing at the climbing wall which is a night I really enjoy. Thanks to all those that gave information to this thread.

Anyone else purchased a VC-E?
If yes thoughts, including the good and not so good?
Interested in one myself so any feedback appreciated.

I’ve been using the older version, the vcs for 2 or 3 years.
I wouldn’t be without it now.
The ProJect cleaning fluid is also excellent. There are a few videos of people using them on YouTube etc.....How many revolutions, how much fluid to use etc.
Keep a spare set of the felt brushes. I’ve on my 3rd set( I think).
Long story short, it works blooming well.

Cool, I’m in the market for an RCM and I’ve been looking at these. I’ve never owned one before, which is madness with the size of my collection. I’ll order one of these from my local dealership, I’m probably going to do that before I upgrade my cartridge, which is another kind of pressing issue for me (no pun intended). I’m sure a new cartridge (and my existing one for that matter) will be happier tracking freshly cleaned vinyl.

To the owners, how's it going so far?

I read on 2 German forums of people that have experienced humidity escaping the hole on the top plate, which leads to condensation on the underside of the record being cleaned.

Apparently this happens after cleaning several records and the RCM is heated up - Pro-Ject seem aware of the problem and are looking into it.

Has anyone experienced this too?

Update:

Some comments on non German forums:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...ines-vc-s2-alu-and-vc-e.914689/#post-22933845

.. and the comments section of this review:

https://www.audioappraisal.com/pro-ject-vc-s2-alu-vinyl-record-cleaning-machine-reviewed/

It's conceivable that there are some VC-Es out there that produce more heat than they should, leading to the problem. It certainly isn't a problem for the VC S2, since that one has the opening on the side (and because it is bigger, there is probably less heat build up).

I don't have a Project but do have a moth, which is the same idea. If your record has a warp this can happen as the vacuum tube loses contact somewhere during the cycle, it can be annoying but sometimes I have to lift the tube slightly.

I don't have a Project but do have a moth, which is the same idea. If your record has a warp this can happen as the vacuum tube loses contact somewhere during the cycle, it can be annoying but sometimes I have to lift the tube slightly.

IIUC, you refer to the arm that sucks the cleaning fluid off the upper side of the record. If that record is warped, then yes, the arm loses contact and leaves fluid on the upper side of the record.

The problem described here is steam/vapor/humidity escaping from the cleaning fluid reservoir in the RCM through the hole on the top plate of the RCM (VC-E only) and condensing* on the underside of the record being cleaned.

*condensating? English isn't my first language.

To the owners, how's it going so far?

I read on 2 German forums of people that have experienced humidity escaping the hole on the top plate, which leads to condensation on the underside of the record being cleaned.

Apparently this happens after cleaning several records and the RCM is heated up - Pro-Ject seem aware of the problem and are looking into it.

Has anyone experienced this too?

Update:

Some comments on non German forums:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...ines-vc-s2-alu-and-vc-e.914689/#post-22933845

.. and the comments section of this review:

https://www.audioappraisal.com/pro-ject-vc-s2-alu-vinyl-record-cleaning-machine-reviewed/

It's conceivable that there are some VC-Es out there that produce more heat than they should, leading to the problem. It certainly isn't a problem for the VC S2, since that one has the opening on the side (and because it is bigger, there is probably less heat build up).

I have the VC-E but haven't suffered this problem, but then I don't clean several or more records, it's usually just one at a time as and when I buy them.

I did wonder about the vent blowing crap onto the underside of the record when in use but haven't noticed anything.

There's enough of a gap between the vent and the record that I may look at making an elbow to fit in the vent and direct it in another direction. If I can be bothered.

IIUC, you refer to the arm that sucks the cleaning fluid off the upper side of the record. If that record is warped, then yes, the arm loses contact and leaves fluid on the upper side of the record.

The problem described here is steam/vapor/humidity escaping from the cleaning fluid reservoir in the RCM through the hole on the top plate of the RCM (VC-E only) and condensing* on the underside of the record being cleaned.

*condensating? English isn't my first language.

I have modified mine as in the end it was a simple fix.

Like I mentioned above I don't clean large batches of records just one at a time when I buy them, so the heat/condensation issue wouldn't be a problem for me. What I wasn't overly happy with is the potential for it to blow crap all over the underside of a freshly cleaned LP.

Another positive side effect of the mod is it should be easier to empty when tipped up, although the waste fluid just evaporates so I've never had to empty this or my previous VCS.

Last edited:
Like I mentioned above I don't clean large batches of records just one at a time when I buy them.
What I wasn't overly happy with is the potential for it to blow crap all over the underside of a freshly cleaned LP.

Another positive side effect of the mod is it should be easier to empty when tipped up, although the waste fluid just evaporates so I've never had to empty this or my previous VC-2.

Looks a bit better built that the earlier VCS I have. On mine the vent is on the side of the box, not on the top of it.
I've cleaned in batches of up to about 10 or so LP's & I've never had to empty the tank. As you say, it seems to just evaporate anyway.

Anymore thoughts on the Pro-ject RCM's, both the VC-S Alu and the VC-E models?
I'm thinking of buying one soon and was interested in how those who had bought one is getting on with it.
I did read Okki Nokki have some new models coming out too.

Looks like the okie nokki one’s about £500 though, so it’ll have to be pretty special to steer me away from a VC-E.

Anymore thoughts on the Pro-ject RCM's, both the VC-S Alu and the VC-E models?
I'm thinking of buying one soon and was interested in how those who had bought one is getting on with it.
I did read Okki Nokki have some new models coming out too.
Can’t comment on the Okki.
As far as the 2 new Project models, the only significant difference I can see is the size of the waste tank.
If I was a record dealer, or someone who regularly buys 20+ records a month, I’d get the larger one.
For someone buying & needing to clean maybe 10 or fewer records a month, I’m sure the cheaper smaller one would be absolutely fine.

I have modified mine as in the end it was a simple fix.

Like I mentioned above I don't clean large batches of records just one at a time when I buy them, so the heat/condensation issue wouldn't be a problem for me. What I wasn't overly happy with is the potential for it to blow crap all over the underside of a freshly cleaned LP.

Another positive side effect of the mod is it should be easier to empty when tipped up, although the waste fluid just evaporates so I've never had to empty this or my previous VCS.

Hello matt j,

I like your mod. Also own the VCE and experience the condensation as well. I do not find it very bad as it evaporates in a few seconds without any remains. However I would prefer to do something similar to you as I want to prevent also dust being blown under my records. Also I do not want to use the protection platter that is included as I especially like that only the label is held by the VCE.

Could you please list some details of what you exactly did? The outlet seems to be 23mm but I only can find 25mm tubes currently. Did you widen the outlet or do you have a fitting tube? Also did you glue in the tube or is it just pushed in?
Thanks in advance for your help,

Bodo

Hello matt j,

I like your mod. Also own the VCE and experience the condensation as well. I do not find it very bad as it evaporates in a few seconds without any remains. However I would prefer to do something similar to you as I want to prevent also dust being blown under my records. Also I do not want to use the protection platter that is included as I especially like that only the label is held by the VCE.

Could you please list some details of what you exactly did? The outlet seems to be 23mm but I only can find 25mm tubes currently. Did you widen the outlet or do you have a fitting tube? Also did you glue in the tube or is it just pushed in?
Thanks in advance for your help,

Bodo

Hi Bodo,

It is a reducing elbow 19mm to 21mm with the 21mm end in the vent hole. I added a couple of drops of superglue just to keep it in place and preventing it from blowing out with the pressure.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hose-Joi...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back