advertisement

Question about Naim Nac 252 volume pot replacement

Volobuev

pfm Member
The volume pot on my 252 Naim pre-amp have problems on the right channel for some time, remote is mostly useless, I need to come and turn the knob manually to find a position in which the right channel plays. This was possibly the reason why the tweeter on my right loudspeaker died.

I was able to find out that it is ALPS potentiometer but which model? Also, read on some forums that ALPS has its problems and there are better potentiometers for Nac 252. Could anyone suggest a better replacement, provided that it will fit and work with the remote? Thanks in advance.

Yes, it will require opening the preamp and gaining access to a hole in the pot which will allow the fluid to reach the track and wiper. From the picture of the Alps blue above this may require it to be desoldered from the PCB. If you're not experienced with this kind of work it may better to take it to a local technician.

Thank you. wd40addict. No, I am not able to do that. And if I'd take it to a master, I would like him to clean with alcohol and put graphit lubrication, thin layer.

ALPS27 circular axis. It seems difficult to buy suitable parts. I replaced the potentiometer of NAC82 by removing it from NAC102.

This might do the job - it has a plain shaft though, and I'm not sure if the 252 has knobs that push onto a splined shaft? This pot is used in the earlier olive-era preamps - 102, 82, 52 etc. Ignore the brass jacket that Naim put on the motor in the 82/52, it's decorative.

P.S. for the cost of a new pot, and the uncertainty of how much longer an old pot might last, don't bother trying to clean it out, just fit a brand new one. Your tweeters will thank you for it.

...I have found reference online to the 252 pot having a splined shaft (or "knurled, as Alps refer to it as) which the knob pushes onto. So apologies, the part that I linked to is not correct for the NAC252 after all. I've looked around qucikly but not found any sources for the same pot but with a knurled shaft.

advertisement

Back