advertisement

Quad Electrostatic models.

My ESL 63s are my final speaker I think, as long as I never get the chance to move hifi into a bigger room :) - modified a fair bit, see here.

Edit to add;
1. I do not have bigger models due to space in my tiny apartment
2. I have a panel repair kit to try when I need to - I repaired mine more times than I cared to over the 11 or 12 years of ownership, finally caved in and bought 2 new panels from Quad last year…and the repair kit. I know of people in Oz and Ireland who’ve used them successfully

My ESL 63s are my final speaker I think, as long as I never get the chance to move hifi into a bigger room :) - modified a fair bit, see here.

Edit to add;
1. I do not have bigger models due to space in my tiny apartment
2. I have a panel repair kit to try when I need to - I repaired mine more times than I cared to over the 11 or 12 years of ownership, finally caved in and bought 2 new panels from Quad last year…and the repair kit. I know of people in Oz and Ireland who’ve used them successfully
I used to have 2912s but couldn't really use them because I have cats.
I traded them in for active ATC 50's.
Even though the ATCs have a lot of respect, they don't sound anything like Quads.
Had a few Quads and Magneplanars in the past and they both sound similar and completely different from cone based speakers.

If I were you, get a demo if you're buying new.
And don't get a cat as they think they are scratch posts.

I used to have 2912s but couldn't really use them because I have cats.
Obv. there are cats and cats. We had an old moggy and his son when I got my 2905s. The father died a few years after, but despite our furniture being scratched to buggery by both, my speakers were ignored. Yes, the cloth on ESLs would be manna from Heaven for pussycats but I think the enjoyment they both got from being gyrated and bounced on my lap whilst having sessions may have been a factor (as if !). They frequently fell off my lap from the cataplectic effects of heavy R & R.

Someone above said that’s Quad’s refurb charge. I guess the max might be 8x150 plus 2x600 plus vat.

Perfectly happy with a pair of ‘57s, refurbished by OTA pre-Brexit when they were affordable.
But then they don’t like all sorts of music. They won’t do earthquake movies either 🙄
But I can imagine what a stacked pair would do.

Obv. there are cats and cats. We had an old moggy and his son when I got my 2905s. The father died a few years after, but despite our furniture being scratched to buggery by both, my speakers were ignored. Yes, the cloth on ESLs would be manna from Heaven for pussycats but I think the enjoyment they both got from being gyrated and bounced on my lap whilst having sessions may have been a factor (as if !). They frequently fell off my lap from the cataplectic effects of heavy R & R.
Yes - there's cats and there's cats.
I've had 4 rescue cats - moggies - but they had be stopped before they scratched.

I tend to play music loud of a night on the wine - circa 90-100db.
The cats would leave the room.
During the day, I would play music quietly - circa 50db.

I was too scared to leave the listening - I'm just leaving my experience.

Someone above said that’s Quad’s refurb charge.
There's an inspection charge ( £70 ish) plus panel charge which decreases according to amount of panel replacements I think this includes fitting. A hifi colleague had his 989s completely re-panelled (same as my 2905s) a couple of years ago and it cost him well under two grand; I think that included carriage when Quad used to arrange this.

I'm gradually realising that Quad ESLs (but not the 57s) are a maintenance/servicing item, and not the 'last forever' nature of most quality moving coil spkrs. It's been documented for years about panels arcing/needing replacement etc. but I no longer think that these incidents are random and that these ESLs tend to go in some aspect after 8 to 12 years.
I could make quite a long list of moving coil speakers which deteriorate quite quickly, some very quickly. And there is generally no backup to get them back to 'as new'. Several fail completely.
Quad reckon 20 years life for their speakers before a service.
It was a problem for Quad when they replaced single panels, the customer had to keep going back to get a different one replaced.

The fact that the ESL requires servicing is the very reason that 60-year old Quad loudspeakers can be kept running.

Don't move them about or mistreat them.

There's an inspection charge ( £70 ish) plus panel charge which decreases according to amount of panel replacements I think this includes fitting. A hifi colleague had his 989s completely re-panelled (same as my 2905s) a couple of years ago and it cost him well under two grand; I think that included carriage when Quad used to arrange this.
2805 should be the same then

Quad reckon 20 years life for their speakers before a service.

Yes well it's easy to say. Mine must be about 20 years old, never serviced, but I am ready for the evil day. However, because I don't want to move 'em I'm scared to decorate their room. Note: their room. Basically, the ESLs own me, not the other way round. I'm the ESLs' human slave, they're like cats in that respect.

As far as moving coil speakers go, I've just bought some AE1s - bass drivers irreplaceable etc etc - I'm a slave to that one too. They're all the same, bloody speakers - they are our masters.

IIRC the Quad Service make a one off labour charge per speaker which I think costs circa £100 each plus a further parts charge for panels and other electronic components as required As a previous poster on this thread has commented, if multiple panels are fitted then the unit cost reduces significantly. Ditto for any other expensive items fitted e.g power supplies.

If the stators become detached from their plastic frames, which sounds like the main problem with 63s, it's a straightforward fix that can be done at home- no need to go back to Quad

Speak to mrdog about regluing stators, he's done loads.
Me too 🤪 Relatively easy job (especially if you leave dust covers and metal grills off afterwards for increased sound quality :)), but a pretty lengthy one - my advice; do every single joint the first time…I didn’t initially and suffered for it.

Not sure about this. Of course one would not mistreat fragile ESLs but move them about? They have to be moved; unpacking, removal to site, positioning, upending to affix weights and spikes. Once they're positioned, of course, they tend to remain in situ Even Quad suggested transporting them on their bellies, sufficiently cushioned, is transporting privately, so I'm not sure what you mean.

I could make quite a long list of moving coil speakers which deteriorate quite quickly, some very quickly.
In 55 years of various m/c speakers, mainly big ones, I've yet to have a fault, and looking at the exc. construction and finish of my current PMCs, I don't expect a fault anytime soon. Mind you, a 20 year guarantee does rather endorse this. Even my first DIY speakers, Heathkit 12" in the mid 60s, as well as my gigantic DIY Goodmans 15" + horns in 1969/70, suffered no problems despite being the college disco units for some while and being transported from London to Canterbury and from place to place.

advertisement

Back