advertisement

Quad 909 current draw ?

lento

Hello, would anyone know whether it's safe to connect the 909 ac output to the FM4 and then to the 34 preamp ?
I have the tuner and pre connected together and just wonder if I can put the power amp in there as well. According to the 34 manual it's safe for a steady 4 amps but not sure what the power amp will draw - the manual gives no current draw ....

thanks for any insight

If you mean power the 909 from the mains outlet on the back of the 34 then I wouldn't if I were you. The switch on surge drawn by the power amp would likely blow the fuse in the 34. Also likely damage the switch in the 34 eventually...

If in doubt contact Rob Flaine, the Quad service manager, but personally I would power it directly from the mains as the 909 is a different generation to the 34 preamp & the power amps of that generation were neither the current dumping design nor as powerful.

If in doubt contact Rob Flaine, the Quad service manager, but personally I would power it directly from the mains as the 909 is a different generation to the 34 preamp & the power amps of that generation were neither the current dumping design nor as powerful.
The current dumping 405 and 606 were Quad products at the time of the 34. The 405 was on the market about 7 years before the 34.
The 909 is essentially the same as a 606.

My 606 marked up as 4A fuse

Have just contacted Quad about this and told it's okay to power it through the 34.

Thanks for the replies :)

Curiosity lead me to have a look at the 34 service manual and in fact there are no fuses between the inlet and outlet sockets... the 34's own fuse comes after this. The switch itself then must be a heavy duty one...

Curiosity also led me to measure the current with a cheap energy monitor. Max current at power on was 77 watts, while running it was between 40 and 60 watts.
This was with the 909 connected directly and not through the 34.

I don`t think the current draw is an issue - it`s the switch on surge since the 909 transformer is much larger than anything Quad were using at the time of the 34. As Jez says, the switch needs to be substantial.

advertisement

Back