advertisement

Puzzling results with ATC SCM50ASLT loudspeakers vs. previous system

However it’s the same for any component, amp, dac, whatever. You propose to close the forum?)
No it is not the same, you missed the word "implausible". Though I do think blind tests are useful and interesting for things like amps and dacs which you would expect to sound similar, not so much for turntables and speakers where audible differences are definitely expected.

Hope the OP resolves his problem, whether it be using rugs, cushions or curtains certainly something to tame the room acoustics. However it could well be time to close this thread due to certain posters that appear to have taken over this thread as their own soapbox. Such a shame!

Hope the OP resolves his problem, whether it be using rugs, cushions or curtains certainly something to tame the room acoustics. However it could well be time to close this thread due to certain posters that appear to have taken over this thread as their own soapbox. Such a shame!
I wouldn’t worry about it, the substance of the OP is usually sorted out in the first few pages, five at most. We are now on page 30 and into the shits and giggles phase so little point in viewing if only interested in the OP.

I haven’t. Any experienced audiophile knows that cable difference can be way bigger compared to speaker or whatever.
Any? Probably the most bizarre post I’ve ever read on this forum!

There are many experienced audiophiles on this forum, I wonder how many would agree with you. If you’re confident in your assertion why not start a poll to test your idea ;).

p.s. message to self, do not feed the troll - the trouble is it’s just so tempting!

Maybe the whole thread is a wind up. It was the OPs first post here, and he hasn’t posted anywhere else on pfm. He has hit 50 posts though.

I haven’t. Any experienced audiophile knows that cable difference can be way bigger compared to speaker or whatever.

Are you truly claiming that if I change a cable in my system the audible difference would be greater than if I , say , swapped my ATC 50's for a pair of Linn Kans?

Are you truly claiming that if I change a cable in my system the audible difference would be greater than if I , say , swapped my ATC 50's for a pair of Linn Kans?

As I said may be.. For instance, in a small room you’re very much limited with a speaker under 5k budget. More expensive speakers are usually just bigger speakers with the same technology behind. And there’s nothing worse for the sound probably as too big speakers for the room. So open minded people are forced to explore other realms. It is absolutely pointless to directly compare Kan and ATC 50, they’re designed for different applications. I mean Ferrari or Land Rover? It depends..

When I say that speakers are not the most important factor at all I mean real life and not imaginary situations. This topic is interesting in that regard - OP changed speakers for 15k+ but continued to use £500 source with basic smps which is a bit of a crazy match. Compare with What Hi-Fi reference system where there is Naim 555 together with ATC 50.

If you like or hate let’s say Tannoy coaxial no cable can change that. But if you’ve already selected the speakers you will not go far in terms of sq without attention to the cables, network etc.

I take it you mean physical size? Agreed audiophile cable can be remarkably bulky and expensive, even though it does nothing for the sound over and above what any competent cable can do.

3cfb059ec7fde97d409068ba867e83a3.jpg

Because something as implausible as power cables impacting the sound you hear is, without a blind test, more likely to be caused by factors other than the soundwaves being different. That does not matter a jot in one sense; if it sounds better to you then enjoy! It does matter though if it becomes a recommendation to others wanting to improve their systems, and even more so if it is a costly change for them.

I strongly recommend for people to try themselves. The differences, to my ears, are so profound that it's difficult to understand how some people miss them. For example, a wrong kind of cabling can make the system sound sibilant and hard. It can even make the system sound unlistenable in the long run and cause listening fatigue. Obviously it matters which components you use to test the differences. ATC's have been the moest sensitive to different power cables, my other equipment less so. In my system, everything related to powering the setup, has had an effect to the sound quality in some way. Mains conditioners make the biggest differences, but not a good one IMO. I've experienced the differences unconsciously and with a proper sighted testing. Price is irrelevant and low cost cable can sound better than ridiculously expensive. It doesn't matter if the cable is thick or thin, thin can sound better and vice versa. Expectations rarely mean anything. And since there are plenty of tweaks and other stuff, which I haven't been able to differentiate with any kind of testing, I'm keen to believe that there is something about the power cables (and interconnect cables) which truly makes a difference. And as I wrote before, the differences in power cables and interconnect cables are measurable.

Can you post some measurements showing the differences in power cables please.
Ahhhh Alex, it's a trap..... :) I tried that in another thread and the measuring devices were the poster's ears. :( or the other excuse was the thing that needed to be measured was unmeasurable because no one had invented a "thing" that could measure it yet...:)

I'm all for seeing those measurements. :)

advertisement

Back