advertisement

Progression from Elicit R for difficult speakers.

If you really want to try something other than your Rega, something like this would be worth a pop http://www.thelsagroup.com/standardamp.html

Challenge accepted. I think that even if I were to get one of these and it didn't work out to sound preferable over the Elicit-R (which sets a very high bar) then I could still learn a lot as it answers the current generating piece and has tube's up front which I've never experienced.

I've read the Dyn's don't like tubes for a power amp and the best way to get the tube fix is at the pre stage.

Thanks for your comment :)

I don't want to get rid of the Elicit R, you've misunderstood the thread. I've been introduced to something I'd not yet experienced before and it's thanks to the speakers and amp combination that I have, so it's in high regard. Trouble is I'm lacking in meaningful reference points, or I was until yesterday.

I picked up an LSA standard hybrid and listen to music last night. The thing is huge, and it's too early to really give a full judgement but it's clear there is a difference and the lows are more pronounced (I want to say more bassy but that would imply the effect of dialling a tone control to the left which isn't what I mean) as well as it sounding very sweet.

Someone mentioned that this is a journey, and it truly is. My ultimate destination likely being the Osiris, but I don't want to experience one amp at this level and decide that's the one for me without properly having had a chance to be sure about it. I'll play about for a bit. There's been loads of good info in this thread so I'm very grateful for all the thoughts and opinions as I start to build my own.

One thing I should mention is these speakers are incredible. If you haven't heard them, give them a chance. They deffo need as much amp as you can give them.

I'm pretty happy with my source and the next one is in the making (MDAC and MDAC2 respectively) and the Elicit-R is by far the most significant jump up in audio quality I've ever felt, because finally I found something that can drive my speakers.

I have however gotten a minor improvement in the bass extension from the LSA, and perhaps a slight roundedness from the tube pre section (unsure about this bit) which I think I can attribute to current capacity. It possible there is a slightly better image too, but it's really too early to say. The LSA has very low WAF and doesn't fit on my rack which is a major drawback too. I'm going to enjoy it for as long as I can get away with and probably then let one of them go, but they're are clearly very closely matched.

I'll probably do a comparison at some point (not a test, but a session) and I might post my findings if I think it's worthwhile, including whether or not my initial findings are just plain wrong. It is possible.

All the best!

I use, most of the time a Rega amp set up (cursa and exon3's), and on occaison a Trilogy VTI valve integrated. They both have aspects that suit different speakers. The best, or at least, most enjoyable combination is a valve pre in front of the exon. Putting a valve pre in front kind of duplicates what you have with the LSA. differing musical styles will give different results, and in my case markedly different preferences. Makes me wish it was easier to have 2 amps wired in all the time. The LAS amps are big though. Its not more bass, just better controlled and tighter I would think. The exon has the same thing going on, something the current elicit-r, and previous non r could not quite do. Enjoy the play.

The Blumenhofer Big Fun 17 not very difficult but in a room of 50m2 with a ceiling of 4 meters, it is clearly the strength and dynamic younger brother "Densen B130XS". Amplifier with very low output impedance at high doses Current.

The B150 is the extreme version of the B130.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgeKtlZAJHg

cheers!

Cheers DM-10... In the end the LSA Standard Hybrid managed to deliver the very very low end bass control and it gave a sweetness from the tubes in the pre-amp. It's not a big difference and I'm confident that it's the speaker pairing that makes it possible to pick up the improvement in low bass extension as was advised by GX502 (best advice ever award to this guy). I've decided to send my LSA Standard off to be modified to the Statement version so that I never have to look at another amplifier again.

The Elicit-R is back in driving these things and while I miss it, the missus doesn't realise it's not the LSA and hasn't said a thing. Once the LSA is back I expect to shift the Rega.

advertisement

Back