advertisement

Problem fitting DLS - 710A DVD transport to Primare CD31

mr.datsun

pfm Member
My Primare CD31 is getting increasingly problematic, so I decided to fit the replacement DVD transport I bought a little while back. A DLS - 710A.

The problem is that the transport is not the same. The mounts are spaced differently, the spindle covering is a metal panel not plastic, the connector/circuit board on the side that the Primare connects to is not even there. And indeed there is another connector on the rear that looks like an ATA connector. The design of the tray is different, too

I now see that because I found this photo of the Primare

http://www.gzhifi.com/ls/images/201206/1340149774855066791.JPG

I was recommend and bought the transport shown in the photo. And the DLS - 710A is often quoted as fitting my Primare CD31. But I can now see the inside of my Primare is a bit different, lacking that wide ribbon connector at the rear.

So, my question is – what transport do I need?

Strange, they must have made some changes during production. Can you see any labelling on the laser/optical block itself? You might be able to change just the laser rather than the whole mech. The DSL 710A is a DVD ROM drive that was widely used and as such are quite cheap, so you'd tend to change the whole thing. With other mechs, it often makes more sense just to change the laser. It might help if you take a few pics.

Here's one with the plastic spindle cover off and another with the underside with the laser. I can take another but have to dismantle the Primare again. You can see the laser label. I wonder whether that is the same as the one in the DSL710A? I've never noticed anything with the transport model number.

I'd really like to replace the whole unit as I'm not sure why the loading errors are occurring. But could try the laser as a next resort.

Thank-you for looking.

IMG_6499.jpg

I forgot to add the laser:

IMG_6501.jpg

Are there any more labels on the laser? I'm struggling to identify it from the label shown. I have done a bit of googling and found a visual match on AliExpress but it's saying that it's no longer available and doesn't give a part number. With a correct part number, we may be able to find one. It could (quite likely) be that Primare changed to the DVD ROM mech because of problems obtaining the original part. It's not that uncommon and some manufacturers just modify the player to use a different mech but don't release it as a new model. It could be tricky finding one but persistence usually pays off.

Are there any more labels on the laser? I'm struggling to identify it from the label shown. I have done a bit of googling and found a visual match on AliExpress but it's saying that it's no longer available and doesn't give a part number. With a correct part number, we may be able to find one. It could (quite likely) be that Primare changed to the DVD ROM mech because of problems obtaining the original part. It's not that uncommon and some manufacturers just modify the player to use a different mech but don't release it as a new model. It could be tricky finding one but persistence usually pays off.

linnfomaniac. thanks. I'll open it up again tomorrow evening and take another look and photograph.

I started to wonder whether Primare could have commissioned a custom transport for this. My reason for thinking it is that the tray looks unique with a matt rubber finish inside.

Hi,

What I had assumed was a safety label turns out to have a manufacture and part num.

SHD-2503. Shinwa Industries. No sign of any for sale online. I'm going to have to find out whether Primare supply them as spares and how much they will be.

CameraRoll_4.jpg

Hitachi's HOP-1200W laser looks very similar to this.

You're right - from what I can see looks very much the same. I wonder whether it would work. Part number slightly different from what I see on-line, but definitely says '1200 W-B' on the Primare unit

Also the Hitachi HOP-1200 DVD transport has similarities - at least from what I can see without opening up the Primare's plastic housing.

Yes, that looks right to me. I'm not sure what all of the codes mean on the bottom but I assume that some of them are batch/date codes. Both the unit from your machine and the parts shown online have "1200 W-B" which is a giveaway.

Well they're cheap and will be pretty easy to fit, I can't see any notes on shorting/antistatic links but do double check for any warnings/instructions because some lasers have a link that needs to be removed/desoldered before use, the purpose being to prevent ESD damage during storage.

Yes, that looks right to me. I'm not sure what all of the codes mean on the bottom but I assume that some of them are batch/date codes. Both the unit from your machine and the parts shown online have "1200 W-B" which is a giveaway.

Well they're cheap and will be pretty easy to fit, I can't see any notes on shorting/antistatic links but do double check for any warnings/instructions because some lasers have a link that needs to be removed/desoldered before use, the purpose being to prevent ESD damage during storage.

Thank-you for the advice. I ordered one from Bath, UK. Cheapest option, too.

I will check the antistatic link as you suggest and come back if there any more questions on this.

Is there a good chance that just changing the laser will cure the poor loading?

I also saw a very cheap 1200W mechanism which I'm not 100% sure will fit (or how it is fitted). It does not have the tray or plastic housing – just the metal frame with the runners, laser, loading gear and motor.

Thank-you for the advice. I ordered one from Bath, UK. Cheapest option, too.

I will check the antistatic link as you suggest and come back if there any more questions on this.

Is there a good chance that just changing the laser will cure the poor loading?

I also saw a very cheap 1200W mechanism which I'm not 100% sure will fit (or how it is fitted). It does not have the tray or plastic housing – just the metal frame with the runners, laser, loading gear and motor.

That's quite normal, the loading mech is quite often ordered as a separate part. I've brought quite a few HOP-M3/3A mechs for Linn Kariks/Mimiks, you get the metal sled tray with the laser block and motors but not the loader.

I'm pretty certain that it'd fit.

As for whether the lew laser will cure the problems or not depends on if the problem is with the laser, with one of the motors or with the main board... but it's more often than not the laser and they're cheap. If that doesn't cure it, try changing the whole sled tray, if that works, you have a spare laser... and if that fails, it'll probably be a servo IC, but since it still kind of works, I doubt that's the case. If you get stuck with anything, drop me a PM and I'll do my best to help you.

That's quite normal, the loading mech is quite often ordered as a separate part. I've brought quite a few HOP-M3/3A mechs for Linn Kariks/Mimiks, you get the metal sled tray with the laser block and motors but not the loader.

I'm pretty certain that it'd fit.

As for whether the lew laser will cure the problems or not depends on if the problem is with the laser, with one of the motors or with the main board... but it's more often than not the laser and they're cheap. If that doesn't cure it, try changing the whole sled tray, if that works, you have a spare laser... and if that fails, it'll probably be a servo IC, but since it still kind of works, I doubt that's the case. If you get stuck with anything, drop me a PM and I'll do my best to help you.

Again, thank-you for the great help and information. I think will get one of the cheap transports, too.

Again, thank-you for the great help and information. I think will get one of the cheap transports, too.

You might not need it if the laser you've already ordered works. That said, it's a sad reality that DVD lasers have a limited lifespan. I've a karik from 1994 that's in absolute perfect working order on all its original parts, but my Unidisk 1.1 failed after four years (and was fixed under warranty). Having a spare laser wouldn't hurt.

I've seen spindle motors fail on a couple of Linn players but they were both 20+ years old and had seen a lot of use... and were both fixed for around £20 of course.

Haven't dealt with Hitachis but that solder blob right to connector end looks like to be removed (but AFTER connecting flat cable).

Free-shipping-Optical-pick-up-HOP-1200W-for-Auto-CD-DVD-VCD-Laser-Lens-Pickups-20pcs.jpg

Haven't dealt with Hitachis but that solder blob right to connector end looks like to be removed (but AFTER connecting flat cable).

Free-shipping-Optical-pick-up-HOP-1200W-for-Auto-CD-DVD-VCD-Laser-Lens-Pickups-20pcs.jpg

I usually remove any ESD protection/shorting links before fitting in order to avoid any possibility of heat damage to the ribbon cable or the sled/loading assembly BUT I do work on an ESD safe work bench and wear a wrist strap. The likelihood of actually doing any damage to it is very small provided you're not wearing a woolly jumper and sat on the carpet anyway. It's a good idea to try and ground yourself if possible of course.

Well, yes, I also had replaced dozens of heads without any antistatic protection whatsoever (except from few expensive ones, for which I can't afford to risk), but better be safe than sorry.

Well, yes, I also had replaced dozens of heads without any antistatic protection whatsoever (except from few expensive ones, for which I can't afford to risk), but better be safe than sorry.

Grounding yourself whilst handling the laser and working on the machine is a good idea where possible, even if it's by means of touching your bare foot on a water pipe.

Ansis & linnfomaniac83

Thanks for the advice. I will get an antistatic wrist band I think. I'd like to remove the solder before I fit the cable. Thanks for the pics. It confirms what I was just about to ask with this picture:

m6o47.png

You might not need it if the laser you've already ordered works. That said, it's a sad reality that DVD lasers have a limited lifespan. I've a karik from 1994 that's in absolute perfect working order on all its original parts, but my Unidisk 1.1 failed after four years (and was fixed under warranty). Having a spare laser wouldn't hurt.

I've seen spindle motors fail on a couple of Linn players but they were both 20+ years old and had seen a lot of use... and were both fixed for around £20 of course.

I guess I'm thinking about future-proofing.

On this I just heard from Primare that replacement unit costs £85 + VAT. But it does not have the CD-tray. Primare have run out of trays. :(

I then wonder whether buying a unit without any of the housing from eBay is a better bet. It's a fraction of the price.

Ansis & linnfomaniac83

Thanks for the advice. I will get an antistatic wrist band I think. I'd like to remove the solder before I fit the cable. Thanks for the pics. It confirms what I was just about to ask with this picture:

m6o47.png

Do double check that the solder blob is an antistatic link, compare it against the old unit too.

advertisement

Back