advertisement

Pro-ject Wallmount IT5 for LP12

clownfish

It's all in the details
I have a pressing need to wallmount my LP12 as my hi-fi is now being allowed to return to the living room. I am so pleased that vinyl is cool again!

I am working on it but the only shelf that has so far met the WAF is the Pro-ject IT5. Does anyone have any experience of running one with an LP12? I am concerned the plinth may be a bit heavy for an old LP12 - no trampolin here I'm afraid.

I have checked out all the threads and understand there are many solutions that would work well technically but am struggling with the aesthetics. Probably the best other option is to buy something like Decent Audio's Half Decent Wallshelf and powder coat it.

BTW, I had the chance to hear the Naim Statement earlier this week with Neat Ultimatum XL10's. Oh my!! All I need is a lottery win and I know where the first couple of hundred grand is heading.

Thx, John

Very special question and it wont be easy to get an answer.
Is your lp12 near the 30kg limit?
Well done on the "battle" though...
Last week i won the dish washing battle.

i now use warm water.

Why not get an old Target wall shelf and paint/powder coat it to domestic requirements.

Light wood board, perfect for LP12 (or any suspended deck, really). I have two somewhere on this forum's classifieds, or can send you details.

I know what you mean about the mass of the plinth John. That would concern me also. The reason I made a wall shelf (which is hardly re inventing the wheel) was due to ending up with a heavy shelf that just wasn't doing my LP12 any favours. The trouble is light and rigid tends to lead to a fairly predictable shape which isn't going to win any aesthetic awards.

Thanks for the replies.

After considering all the input I think I'll attempt a self build. I plan to use an Oak effect IKEA Lack coffee table and a couple of heavy duty cross braced brackets from Wickes. I will cut the Lack to shorten back to front depth and, remove the internal packing and pop a lightweight baton in the opened edge. I can paint the brackets the same colour stone colour as the walls and rawl bolt them to my solid wall.

I can't see why this should give me a significantly different sound to the much vaunted Lack on solid floor. If it does and I can't correct with the odd bit of extra damping from a rubber washer or two then I think I'll have to revisit and consider tiger paw, ISO blue, etc. At least I'll only be £30 down :)

I do like the idea of powder coating a Target but have found concerns about excessive ringing which scares me a little.

I'll post and let you know how I get on - maybe even including a pic or two if it turns out not to be hideous :)

Thanks again, John

John, we use a particular fischer wall fixing and also place an O ring behind the washer - this means that there shelf has one (albeit fairly narrow band) filter between the wall and the shelf. If you need some fixings, let me know, it might be an effective solution for you.

John, we use a particular fischer wall fixing and also place an O ring behind the washer - this means that there shelf has one (albeit fairly narrow band) filter between the wall and the shelf. If you need some fixings, let me know, it might be an effective solution for you.

That is a very generous offer and one that is greatly appreciated.

As soon as the radiator where all this will reside is moved (the lengths we must go to in order to play an LP !!!) I will PM you.

If I can set the holes in the right place it could make replacing my DIY shelf with the Tiger Paw one all the easier :)

Thank you, John

Failing the above, as mentioned earlier, get an old target shelf and paint it.

This is what I did. Numerous coats of white Matt paint and it blends in well with a white lower shelf on which I keep the CD player, power supply, and amplification.

Presently in a bedroom but going to move it into the lounge, whereupon getting a design drawn up by a fitter, to integrate it invisibly and thereby aesthetically into a shelf system (don't want the target shelf to draw attention to itself)

Watch out for pipes when drilling! Get ( if you haven't got one) one of those pipe/ cable testers.

I do like the idea of powder coating a Target but have found concerns about excessive ringing which scares me a little.

Really? I remember one or two reports of 'ringing', but I've had umpteen over the years (old and new) and my friend still supports his Naim 552/500/NDAC/555 etcetera on about ten of the shelves.

They don't ring ! Besides, you can stuff parts of them easily enough. Never saw or heard the difference between affordable Target and much-hyped Mana, although the finish of the latter is a bit better.

Whereas the DIY approach is tempting for those of a suitable disposition, you can't sell it on. Cost of materials is not going to be night and day cheaper than buying a recognised shelf (around the £50 mark) Then you've got the time factor..........:(

Ok, I guess we'll never know how my Lack shelf would have worked out as I decided to go for the Tiger Paw shelf.

I just bought it from Wayne at Cymbiosis who true to reputation was most helpful. Roger from Tiger Paw was also great.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks once I'm all set up and have had the chance to listen for a while.

Thanks for all the input, it's all been considered and has helped me get to this stage.

Regards, John

Really? I remember one or two reports of 'ringing', but I've had umpteen over the years (old and new) and my friend still supports his Naim 552/500/NDAC/555 etcetera on about ten of the shelves.

They don't ring ! Besides, you can stuff parts of them easily enough. Never saw or heard the difference between affordable Target and much-hyped Mana, although the finish of the latter is a bit better.

Whereas the DIY approach is tempting for those of a suitable disposition, you can't sell it on. Cost of materials is not going to be night and day cheaper than buying a recognised shelf (around the £50 mark) Then you've got the time factor..........:(

Hi Mike - any idea what the fixings and O rings might do that will help my shelf fitting when I collect it from the UK in a few weeks time? :DWhat do the O rings do, are they standard rubber and do they go between shelf and wall?

Does powder coating (I assume spray not brush) work well on Target shelves?

advertisement

Back