advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

That's my point - I don't consider a 100ms hicup at the start of track a "disruptive hiccup" - I think that is being too Anal in my book.

Hehe, well I can assure you that a lot of audiophiles are way more anal than that (not to mention reviewers who spends their days looking for fault in products).

The MQA hiccup was spotted by gahabana, I just reported it (its easy to hear though, but I don't use MQA). The sample rate problem (which is fixed now) was spotted by everyone who played music with different sample rates.

That was mentioned earlier, I don't how come they missed it. Perhaps they didn't play tunes with different sample rates. Or perhaps that problem was not present in the earlier version of the DAC or its software.

But why try to make this into us vs them? I assume we all want the same thing here, and the MQA problem (for those who use MQA) is a very valid problem.

Besides, implying that customers are anal when they point out a bug is not going to improve the product.

Anyway, I am going to finish my involvement in this thread on a positive tone, and let the MQA listeners handle any MQA complaints (which I probably should have done from the start).

For me, the DAC works very good with the latest firmware (2.11 BETA). Sounds awesome, practical and even looks nice below the monitor (like a baby-DAC :) ). And if USB volume is added, it will be even more practical, and I seem to recall that was a planned feature.

All things considered, a very good DAC for its price!

@JohnW,
I concur with @MagunsH opinions on 2.11 Beta. Switches flawlessly when using PCM and DoP/DSD (up to DSD256) and i really enjoy it :) !!!

Now, I have done a lot of testing with MQA files today ... net is - if it was 100ms one could live with it ... if you press pause and move to the middle of the song it will take 1-2-3 seconds to lock to MQA and those 1-2-3 seconds will be interrupted/stuttered once or twice during that period ... this is via LMS/Squeezelite but have tried on Foobar2000 with same results.
I have not seen/tried other MQA DACs so can not comment if all of them share the same issue. Might be worth looking into as MQA is to many people 'key'. Not critical to me today, but that was one of the reasons why i bought it ! (longevity).

:)

@MagnusH - with 2.11 BETA i do see under linux Volume control that was not there before and Roon can use it. Works as it should ... (with exception of MQA when if you lower it less then 100% then its not MQA anymore, but again, that is imho not very important).

It would appear that the Bluesound Node 2 streamer is not outputting bit accurate data...

If you have a PC to try via USB and reply a MQA file (again the PC needs to be set so that it outputs bit accurate data (no Volume control or up-sampling etc

John, MQA works great with Ttidal from Macbook pro. So the bluesound is sending something to the s2 causing it to think the data is not bit accurate. I know the Node2 works great with the MQA mytek dacs. I wrote Bluesound. Ill chime back in with their responce once I hear from them. Btw, i tried both optical and Coax with the Bluesound...still no MQA. Most of my streaming is Qobuz...i actually prefer their hi rez over Tidal.

Thanks

@JohnW - i think BETA 2.11 of FW is awesome and i much much better then original release.
There are 2 minor (or major depending on your needs) issues - one is with MQA locking speed and antoher one is related to DSD512 playback which accordingt to the specs should be working.
Since the only way for me to get DSD512 is to go native (not DSD DoP) and in those scenarios more often then not when DSD content starts after PCM in the 1st 10 seconds of DSD songs there is hiss and noise that disappears after a while. It happens with DSD512 but also 256 or 128 or base 64.

In DSD via DoP modes all is good but then max speed is DSD256.

Not sure if you had opportunity to test that and what your findings were ?

thank you !!!

I have a iFi nano iUSB3 which have 2 USB outputs, one with 5V and data, and one with only 5V. But I am curious how to best connect it. As I see it, there are 4 options:
1. Connect USB data + 5V into USB B on the DAC
2. Connect USB 5V to micro USB on DAC, and data + 5V into USB B (the manual says this it not good).
3. Connect USB 5V to micro USB on DAC, and data without 5V into USB B
4. Use a dual head USB cable to separate data and power from iFi nano and connect to USB B on DAC.

I have the UpTone USBA>B adapter that can disable vbus power, so option 3 feels like the best way (fully separate power and data), but then the USB symbol in the DAC display turns red and it don't work.

I have a iFi nano iUSB3 which have 2 USB outputs, one with 5V and data, and one with only 5V. But I am curious how to best connect it. As I see it, there are 4 options:
2. Connect USB 5V to micro USB on DAC, and data + 5V into USB B (the manual says this it not good).
4. Use a dual head USB cable to separate data and power from iFi nano and connect to USB B on DAC.

I have the UpTone USBA>B adapter that can disable vbus power, so option 3 feels like the best way (fully separate power and data), but then the USB symbol in the DAC display turns red and it don't work.

yeah. 3 should be the best.
#2 should work more or less the same way as when having power on micro_USB it is not pulling it from the USB-B port so whether there is 5v or not should not make a difference.
you can always put some isolation tape on usb connector that goes into i-fi to mask +5v so no additional adabters, uptones etc needed.

I have buy this device a few weeks ago on the e-bay.com (Germany's shop). In general, - works well for me, but I have one question to John.
Could you look on photo below and comment the fact , that at least one capacitor is absent (near front panel)?
Photo inside

Is this normally or this is manual input has place from somebody before sell this device?

P.S. Will be glad to test new version of firmware too :)

I have buy this device a few weeks ago on the e-bay.com (Germany's shop). In general, - works well for me, but I have one question to John.
Could you look on photo below and comment the fact , that at least one capacitor is absent (near front panel)?
Photo inside

Is this normally or this is manual input has place from somebody before sell this device?

P.S. Will be glad to test new version of firmware too :)

Bango,

Very odd, I suggest returning the DAC back to your Dealer for exchange - the Cap should be fitted.

You might need to reinstall the USB drivers with the Uptone fitted.

USB Cable quality (Voltage loss) will have more of an impact in SQ - then the various power options so just see which sounds best.

Bango,

Very odd, I suggest returning the DAC back to your Dealer for exchange - the Cap should be fitted.

Thank you John for quick response!
The bad news for me - it's fact that I can't return device back to Dealer. Currently, I'm outside of Germany.

So, if I'll able to fit the same capacitor to the place, is this make my device "a more shortly" to the latest variant (from hardware point of view)?

advertisement

Back