advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

USBridge is in. I did also get the new aluminium case which is very nice bar the power and USB/Ethernet on opposite sides. Some photos:

On top of the Pro-Ject DAC for size comparison (excuse my dusty gear):

Msvb9xh.jpg

The messy setup - DAC powered by USB powerbank, USB to USBridge, USBridge powered by standard wallwart, DAC feeding Rega Elicit R

uG6uyYs.jpg

Pro-Ject display showing MQA from Tidal via Roon:

nfnA1xR.jpg

I've got the Pi / Hifiberry Digi + feeding the COAX into DAC and the USBridge into...USB. Both endpoints are grouped in Roon so playing back same files at the same time and I can flick between sources with the Pro-Ject remote. USBridge setup was a breeze, plug in, enable in Roon, off you go.

I'll feedback with aural impressions later.

Thanks, nice setup! Great it works. Waiting for your aural impressions. I am really interested if you can hear any difference between NUC and USBridge.

Thanks, nice setup! Great it works. Waiting for your aural impressions. I am really interested if you can hear any difference between NUC and USBridge.

Anytime! I could head a difference between my NUC and the Pi (in favour of the pi) so I am sure this will be better :)

@JohnW a couple more people have confirmed they hear this, and the developer of HQ Player has pointed out that the Meridian Explorer2 has a similar problem. He suggests the root of the problem may be in code shared by many MQA-licensed DACs.

@JohnW another user (who will probably join us here shortly) has reported this bug, and I hear the same thing:

1) set the filter to Optimal Transient,
2) play an MQA track (we understand this will turn off the filters),
3) play a non-MQA version of the same track and it will sound thinner/weaker than it should,
4) change the filter setting and it immediately sounds better; toggle it back around to Optimal Transient and the track sounds normal.

Firmware is 2.12.
Tested with the Tidal app on macOS (1 user) and Windows 10 (2 users).
Tested with foobar2000 on Windows 10 (1 user).

Anytime! I could head a difference between my NUC and the Pi (in favour of the pi) so I am sure this will be better :)
Yes, I have the same behavior. You have to manually change the filter settings after playing MQA track, otherwise the sound is affected. I will open a case with Project.

Yes, I have the same behavior. You have to manually change the filter settings after playing MQA track, otherwise the sound is affected. I will open a case with Project.

Just tested, also the same here. MQA version vs 24/192 - the change with filter adjustment is quite big.

But finally I hear that MQA is better when comparing to that crappy sound we have after MQA is changed to different format ;)
So maybe this is feature not a bug? ;) To promote new format :)

@JohnW a couple more people have confirmed they hear this, and the developer of HQ Player has pointed out that the Meridian Explorer2 has a similar problem. He suggests the root of the problem may be in code shared by many MQA-licensed DACs.

Yep, I can report to having the same issue.

@JohnW I hope you are able to share this with Pro-Ject to rectify. Loving this DAC overall. Greatly appreciated

I also see the latest firmware update has been removed from the DAC's web page. Hopefully a fix isn't too far away :-(

It's still there. Scroll down to just above the FAQ area, and look for "download latest Driver (incl. Windows 10)". According to a date at the bottom of the page the content was updated within the last 24 hours, but I downloaded the driver and it is still 4.38.0.

Yes, but now you only have driver. Before there was also firmware 2.12 to download. Now it's gone.

You're right! Didn't think I had to extract the driver and run it to look for the firmware; can't remember where it was before. I'm not even using this DAC anymore.

I still have the 2.12 firmware update if anyone needs it, though it doesn't fix this latest bug. Also the manual still doesn't mention John's recommendations on external power, and the separate DSD playback instructions are still out of date.

Oh, why not? What happen?

Because I want to listen to music without constantly debugging this poorly-tested, poorly-supported little box of surprises.

I was already not using the headphone amp, because I prefer a warmer smoother sound. But now I'm just annoyed.

OK, got it. Well, I keep it. I am using it as a DAC, I hope those issues are "only" software/firmware issues. I am waiting what the support will answer. So far no response.

I am waiting what the support will answer. So far no response.

The Pro-Ject website contact form will send your message only to your local distributor, if one exists. To get around that from the USA, I selected "Bermuda" as my country and then explained in my message.

@lewy channel, you're right too much with this box is a hassle (as it won the EISA award), these last drivers are under windows 10 only?
I have windows7, can I download them, will it be ok?
Please, give me also what you have about the foobar, settings and instructions.
Despite the problems, I leave it to myself.
Sorry for my English.

Because I want to listen to music without constantly debugging this poorly-tested, poorly-supported little box of surprises.

I was already not using the headphone amp, because I prefer a warmer smoother sound. But now I'm just annoyed.

This is very sad to read but is a reality and a very sad situation we are in. I have also emailed Pro-Ject a few days ago.

I would encourage everyone to email Pro-Ject support because they may not be watching this fourm or other forum.

Hopefully John still has contact with Pro-Ject Engineers though and can help to fix this.

In terms of converting digital to analogue it's a great performing DAC and feature packed but the firmware bugs get in the way of music listening and these bugs need to be squashed.

@lewy channel, you're right too much with this box is a hassle (as it won the EISA award), these last drivers are under windows 10 only?
I have windows7, can I download them, will it be ok?
Please, give me also what you have about the foobar, settings and instructions.
Despite the problems, I leave it to myself.
Sorry for my English.

I believe it works with Windows 7. I will send a PM to you with the download link.

This is very sad to read but is a reality and a very sad situation we are in. I have also emailed Pro-Ject a few days ago.

I would encourage everyone to email Pro-Ject support because they may not be watching this fourm or other forum.

Hopefully John still has contact with Pro-Ject Engineers though and can help to fix this.

In terms of converting digital to analogue it's a great performing DAC and feature packed but the firmware bugs get in the way of music listening and these bugs need to be squashed.

I've posted a question regarding a new firmware update on their facebook page. On looking further I see other questions (not prebox s2 related) and they don't seem to very proactive - Question posted on the 10th hasn't been responded to!

And with that I did get a response - not exactly forthcoming ....

"Hello Rob, we are constantly working to improve the firmware. If one gets released we will announce it via social media. Thank you."

advertisement

Back