advertisement

Pro-Ac Tab 10 vs Spendor S3/5r Vs Celef LS8

I've owned many .... MANY... 'LS3/5a' type speakers including Spendors S3/5's, Stirling Broadcast, Harbeth, etc. Am currently using Tablette 10's because I need a speaker that works well close to a wall. Have had them maybe three years.. they are definitely keepers.

I would love to hear the Celef's!

So would I...

If anyone is interested they're welcome to drop by for a listen.

Nice comparison! You came to quite similar conclusions as I when I tested the LS8 and Tablette 10 side by side earlier this year. In case someone's interested, my little review is here: https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum...s3-5-and-an-ls3-5a.178416/page-4#post-3602699 (the LS8 price I mentioned in the post is probably inaccurate though - maybe someone can confirm what the actual made-to-order price is? I found mine cheaper on ebay)

I still have the LS8s but have now sold the Tab 10s.

Nice comparison! You came to quite similar conclusions as I when I tested the LS8 and Tablette 10 side by side earlier this year. In case someone's interested, my little review is here: https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum...s3-5-and-an-ls3-5a.178416/page-4#post-3602699 (the LS8 price I mentioned in the post is probably inaccurate though - maybe someone can confirm what the actual made-to-order price is? I found mine cheaper on ebay)

I still have the LS8s but have now sold the Tab 10s.
What amp are you using with the LS8 eka? As you say, they are so transparent they really do reflect what is being fed into them.

Having played a bit more with the positioning I seem to have improved things. I concentrated on the LS8 for now and started them where I tried the Spendors and wasn't keen for the same reasons, about 9" off the back wall and the bass was far too thick and chesty whilst encroaching way too much into the magical mid range so I moved them forward to 12" out and whilst better there was still too much boundary reinforcement, I've settled on 15" for now as this has bought the focus and clarity back but kept a bit of bass warmth, there's probably even more small improvements to be made but I'm quite happy with where they are for now.

Just trying some late night listening and this location seems to have improved that aspect as well. I shall try the Tab 10s in the same location tomorrow and see how it affects them.

As for price mentioned by @eka above- I don't think the price is set in stone, I contacted them out of the blue to see if they had any left or any intention to produce another batch and was told no plans to do any more yet, then received a message to say they had found a pair of black ash cabinets left over from the previous batch and if I would be ok with that finish they could knock me a pair up, they were made up and sent out by the end of the following day! This pair were £1k which I didn't think was too bad for a boxed brand new pair with warranty etc. certainly less than I paid for the Tablette 10s by a piece. I think the cabinet is a more complex design than the Tab 10, certainly more damped at least. I think if this were a full blown Pro-Ac production model then they'd be considerably more expensive.

I'm using them on the end of a JVC AX-Z1010tn BTW, which has now comfortably seen off a fair few amps, not to mention the best digital I've heard via the K2 DAC. Just a pity it's the size of a house and ugly as sin.

What amp are you using with the LS8 eka? As you say, they are so transparent they really do reflect what is being fed into them.

At the moment I'm feeding them with a Nac12 RSL/TPR4 Hicap/Nap140 setup. Testing with the Devialet 220pro that I have in my main set I didn't feel the LS8s were forming any kind of bottleneck.

As for price mentioned by @eka above- I don't think the price is set in stone, I contacted them out of the blue to see if they had any left or any intention to produce another batch and was told no plans to do any more yet, then received a message to say they had found a pair of black ash cabinets left over from the previous batch and if I would be ok with that finish they could knock me a pair up, they were made up and sent out by the end of the following day! This pair were £1k which I didn't think was too bad for a boxed brand new pair with warranty etc. certainly less than I paid for the Tablette 10s by a piece. I think the cabinet is a more complex design than the Tab 10, certainly more damped at least. I think if this were a full blown Pro-Ac production model then they'd be considerably more expensive.

I'm using them on the end of a JVC AX-Z1010tn BTW, which has now comfortably seen off a fair few amps, not to mention the best digital I've heard via the K2 DAC. Just a pity it's the size of a house and ugly as sin.

You definitely got a good deal on those. I would think that it would make it hard for ProAc to sell their other small speakers if more people had heard the LS8s :)

Mr. Tyler explained the cabinet differences like this when I asked about them: "The LS8 uses exactly type of cabinet as the LS3/5a ie plywood,
with soft wood battons and bitumen damping, with removable baffle and Tygan grill. The Tab 10 uses thin wall mdf with bitumen damping. The cost of the LS8
cabinet being much higher than the 10, however because the drivers and crossover are more cutting edge than LS3/5a makes the 10 pretty close if not better than
the LS3/5a IMO. The LS8 benefits by having LS3/5a cabinet with modern cutting edge drivers and crossover makes them better than the LS3/5a according to people
who have compared and bought LS8."

I recall Stewart Tyler mentioning speaking to Derek Hughes about the LS3/5a.
I remember thinking that those two together could make something special.
Small speakers, like the LS8, continue to fascinate me.
I still have so many to hear...

I own the Tab 10's and the Harbeth P3ESR 40th Anniversary and love them both. They are both good in my small room for low level listening. Perhaps it's my amp or source but I am getting great results with both. They are very different but both are excellent. I auditioned the Spendor S3/5R2 and loved them as well. If I can find a gently used pair in cherry for a reasonable price I will add them to the stable.
Is it the Tablette 10 or 10 Signature that you own? Can the Tablette 10 handle high SPLs?

I would really enjoy a ‘get together’ to listen to some of these small speakers. I
appreciate it’s not easy to arrange, plus the venue.
I’ve had a few people come over, mainly to talk about LS3/5a clones with a listening session.
It was particularly interesting when I had a pair of Stirling V2s for comparison.
They really are good.
I couldn’t really offer a venue at the moment due to family circumstances, not to mention
a lack of any make of LS3/5a.
Now that will have to be addressed...

Since settling on a location the LS8s have stretched their lead even more, I think they're keepers. I may be a bit *cough* of a box swapper, but the speakers have been here almost 3 years as I had no desire to change them, it was only the chance encounter of an unopened pair of S3/5rs and the LS8s being available that led me down this path.

I'm slowly getting to a settled system, it may be a load of hassle and not always cost effective to be constantly trying new kit, but I'm glad I've done it this way so I can hear things at home in my system with no pressure on a purchase or to liking it. Extended demos so to speak.

Are LS8's available for sale anywhere? I have a friend who's going to England soon to visit Spendor and Chord (yes, he's in the business) and he could pick up a pair for me if I asked.

Are LS8's available for sale anywhere? I have a friend who's going to England soon to visit Spendor and Chord (yes, he's in the business) and he could pick up a pair for me if I asked.

You'd need to contact Celef/Pro-Ac direct and ask them, from what I could gather they make/made them in small run batches, I'm not sure if they have the bits to make any to order or if they're waiting to make another batch etc. If the serial numbers are correct, and I have the newest pair, then there are only 8 other pairs.

Hello, I'm new around here.
I write from Spain, i'm sorry for my English,
I own speakers celef ls8,and very happy with them,I am a fan of the mini-monitor descendant of the mythical BBC LS3/5a, in addition I have, a couple of Harbeth LS3/5a (with original Kef transducers, from the year 1990, and a Stirling LS3/5a V2, since 2014,)each owns their own own characteristics, and each one brings their particular concept of musical reproduction, but they all have a special "Magic" when it comes to listening,
thank you so much for accepting me in this group, and I reiterate my apologies for my level of English (I use the google translator)
a greeting
Bear

Hello, I'm new around here.
I write from Spain, i'm sorry for my English,
I own speakers celef ls8,and very happy with them,I am a fan of the mini-monitor descendant of the mythical BBC LS3/5a, in addition I have, a couple of Harbeth LS3/5a (with original Kef transducers, from the year 1990, and a Stirling LS3/5a V2, since 2014,)each owns their own own characteristics, and each one brings their particular concept of musical reproduction, but they all have a special "Magic" when it comes to listening,
thank you so much for accepting me in this group, and I reiterate my apologies for my level of English (I use the google translator)
a greeting
Bear
Welcome to pfm!

Reactions: oso
I ended up buying Matt’s Spendor S3/5Rs and they really are rather nice. I’ve tacked my findings onto my ongoing JR149 thread here. One can not have too many neat little mini-monitors, obvs.

compar10.jpg

advertisement

Back