advertisement

Prefab Sprout

I'm also a big fan. In case anyone doesn't know, they recently re-released “Jordan” on double disc vinyl & it sounds hugely better as a result.

I read somewhere that the name came about after mishearing the lyrics from the Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood song “Jackson” (hotter than a pepper (prefab) sprout).

The vinyl release of Andromeda Heights is also very good. Originally bought this on CD and found it a bit syrupy but it has really grown on me over the years and the vinyl copy gets played a lot. Must have developed a terminal sweet tooth!

I see mentions of Martin Stephenson & the Daintees. I had the L.P. Boat to Bolivia but no longer have a turntable. The album is not on Tidal and I see the C.D version at over £50 on Amazon o_O
My intro to MS & tD was a girlfriend at college - second or third date, in her room - she instructed me to lie on the bed and close my eyes. I was thinking my world was about to change, but then she lay down next to me and played me all of Boat To Bolivia. Happy days.

Boat To Bolivia is on Spotify, BTW. Wonderful album.

My intro to MS & tD was a girlfriend at college - second or third date, in her room - she instructed me to lie on the bed and close my eyes. I was thinking my world was about to change, but then she lay down next to me and played me all of Boat To Bolivia. Happy days.

Boat To Bolivia is on Spotify, BTW. Wonderful album.
The album isn’t on Spotify.

I have a lot of love for Prefab Sprout, Steve McQueen is one of a select bunch of LPs that always gets a first spin when I change equipment or cartridges. It takes me back to being 16 again.

Oh, and 'Cars and Girls' is in with a shout of being one of the best pop songs ever made.

The album isn’t on Spotify.
You're right, my bad. The album is listed there but a load of tracks are missing - only the tracks that were on compilations are available. Bandcamp will have to do. Fortunately there's a ton of great stuff on his Bandcamp site too.

i spent a lot of time in the mid/late 80’s trying to spread the word of Prefab.

Managed to see them play Hammersmith Odeon around 1986.

Has to be Steve McQueen all day long!

I must have 3 on vinyl and one on cd for the car!

Sat chatting with a long-time colleague in the office some years back - probably some nonsense about music - when he casually broke the news he was the guitarist on Boat to Bolivia!! When I eventually retrieved my jaw from the floor, John(Steel) was good enough to sort tickets when they toured the album in 2016 for its 30th anniversary.

Sat chatting with a long-time colleague in the office some years back - probably some nonsense about music - when he casually broke the news he was the guitarist on Boat to Bolivia!! When I eventually retrieved my jaw from the floor, John(Steel) was good enough to sort tickets when they toured the album in 2016 for its 30th anniversary.
Lovely guy is John!

advertisement

Back