advertisement

Power Cable Suggestions

Pault73

pfm Member
Hoping I can get some suggestions on the best route - I have a Luxman SQ-n150 and Luxman DN150 CD player, both came with a power cable with a two pin power plug, neither cables look anything special. At the moment I have them running into a 2pin to 3pin adaptor. I really think I could do better, or are power cable upgrades really just hocus-pocus...

Power cable length needs to be about 1.5-2m, I hate short cables - budget upto £150 top each, ideally would like to pay much less...

Or should I just cut the provided 2pin power plugs off and put a standard 3pin plug on instead, if I go down this route, should I invest in some decent 3 pin plugs?

Thanks Paul

Perfect, thank you for the advice - that sounds like a great choice also for my wallet!

Just looking at the MK toughplugs, I can see you can also get them gold plated, does this make a noticeable difference or are the standard ones still preferable?

From MCRU, Belden cable with screening and earth drain, with Mcru standard 13A plugs (accepts the bigger diameter cable, includes fuse and can be bought gold/silver/rhodium plated), Martin Kaiser matching IEC, braided cover and shrinkdown ends if you're feeling really flash and your done. About £50 each, job's a good 'un as they say :)

Use Mcru discount code MC10

See Taruns YT clip if you need help

Perfect, thank you for the advice - that sounds like a great choice also for my wallet!

Just looking at the MK toughplugs, I can see you can also get them gold plated, does this make a noticeable difference or are the standard ones still preferable?
I’d stick with standard or rhodium plating in preference to gold.

Most of the gold will rub off very quickly even if it’s worth having in the first place (which it isn’t).

This. Buy a couple of MK plugs, chop the ends of your leads off and fit them.

Fuse in the plugs should be 3A types - buy Eaton/Bussmann and nothing poncy!

This is the cheapest option, whatever cables you're using now won't make a difference if they've no earth lead. They don't need to be MK. I find them over-engineered. All 13amp plug tops in the UK are fused. They come with a 13amp fuse, which you should change to 3amp.

@turbo al: good suggestions, perhaps more effort than I wanted to tackle - though I noticed MCRU has some good cables in their sale section - these looked good, https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/mcru-nwas-mains-power-lead/?v=79cba1185463, if potentially a little short for me

@Sean: good point, there are just the two pin connectors in the back of luxman

@Alex: thank you for the tip on the plating options, I think I'll avoid the upsell!

maybe the best option, I'll put some reasonable quality standard plugs on the supplied luxman cables and change the fuse to a 3A

MK plugs are not over-engineered, they are well designed.

Unlike a majority of other "BS1363A" offerings, though not all.

Not so fast. Someone will be along to advise the Luxman deserves these: https://www.futureshop.co.uk/shunyata-research-omega-qr-mains-power-cable-2m and that the whole exercise is a waste of time without adding these: https://www.futureshop.co.uk/quantum-science-audio-silver-extreme-level-uk-mains-fuse

Alex S you beat me to it, these were the very items i was going to recommend next, although as it's for a Luxman the silver one might introduce a degree of unwanted harshness, maybe this would be better, gold has a warmer sound i believe https://www.futureshop.co.uk/quantum-science-audio-gold-extreme-level-uk-mains-fuse

;-)

How is this a bad thing, especially where electrical safety is concerned?

Here we go, typical message board remark by some, putting words in other poster's mouths.

When did I say MK plugs are, a "bad thing?"
That's so silly.
Go back and read what I said. It was my opinion.
I've been using cheaper makes for decades with never a problem.

ideally would like to pay much less...

Or should I just cut the provided 2pin power plugs off and put a standard 3pin plug on instead, if I go down this route, should I invest in some decent 3 pin plugs?

Thanks Paul
Nearly 20 years ago, the MD of a well known British hifi brand said 'cut off the supplied mains plug ands replace with an MK one'
Nothing's changed.

Nearly 20 years ago, the MD of a well known British hifi brand said 'cut off the supplied mains plug and replace with an MK one'
Nothing's changed.

Well, that's one man's opinion....... but only that.
Did he make Linn turntables?

Everything's changed.
Just to add a bit of clarity to the situation, the plug isn't to connect a 2KW cooker is it?

advertisement

Back