advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

I have been following the progress of Trump’s legal cases for a very long time now. Countless hours reading newspaper articles and watching youtube videos.

I get the feeling that it has all been a colossal waste of time. I really shouldn’t have bothered. I am never going to get those countless hours of my life back.

He has been treated differently all the way along, but let’s keep some perspective.

The judgement stands, it’s still a very large bond and it is merely for the chance to appeal. Ten days more waiting is a frustration, but will not make the appeal any more likely to succeed. It’s still doubtful whether he has even that sort of cash on hand and although others might provide it, that brings its own scrutiny.

Oh and meanwhile …….his bid to delay the much more significant falsification of records trial fails.

Michael Popok and Karen Friedman Agnifilo on today's developments. The trial date being set is much bigger news than the lowered bond in the civil case which is a) still a lot of money and b) was probably going to be a deal on the bond amount at some point anyway.

While the media was focused on trying to convince us that the bond reduction was an unmitigated win for Donald, the results of a hearing in a courtroom a few blocks away was an unmitigated disaster for him…

Here’s what happened and what it means:

As Donald sat in the courtroom, Judge Juan Merchan cut through his attempts to delay his election fraud case and scolded Donald’s attorneys for accusing the Manhattan DA’s office of prosecutorial misconduct with zero evidence.

As Merchan grew “uncharacteristically furious,” Donald reportedly “stood and scowled.”

Scowl harder, Donald.

But why did the New York election fraud case became Donald’s worst nightmare?

At the close of the hearing, and despite protests from Donald’s attorneys, Judge Juan Merchan set the trial to begin on April 15.

Prosecutors have told the court they will need 15 to 17 days at minimum to present their case. Judge Merchan has already made it clear he won’t tolerate any unnecessary delays.

What this really means is that today’s decision made it more likely that we will get a criminal verdict before the 2024 election, possibly with a few months to spare.

Up to 53% of key swing state voters say they would refuse to vote for Donald if he were convicted of a criminal offense.

While the media will tell you Donald won today, he actually faces a better chance of being a convicted for a crime and being sentenced to prison before the election. That, in turn, makes it significantly less likely for him to win in November.

On top of that, New York State is one step closer to being made whole if they can secure that $175 million bond. That is, if Donald even has that much.

I’ll take that news. How about you?

Mary L Trump.

I think I must be the only person who expected the bond to be reduced as I am sure I heard about this last week. Not sure which of the legal types I listen to on this sort of thing (Popok, George Conway, Harry Litman) I got it from but I had heard it was likely to happen and far from being some kind of special treatment for Trump this is, if not quite normal, then certainly not unusual.

There is also little risk of the state losing out here because it's not like Trump can somehow magic 40 Wall Street away somewhere and the retired judge controller that Engoron installed in the Trump Org got her already extensive powers beefed. And there is an obvious issue of irrevocable harm. If Trump is forced to sell buildings in a distressed sale to raise the bond then he cannot get that back if he wins his appeal and there will be all sorts of complications involving mortgages and bank loans that would also be affected.

So the bond just needs to be big enough to hurt to keep the person honest in terms of appeals and doesn't need to be the full amount unless there are other issues (e.g. fleeing the country, hiding the money). Which makes sense given the decision was made by a panel of *five* NY State judges not a single Trump appointed federal MAGA judge.

See also the fact that the New York State will very likely negotiate down the final settlement when he finally loses. It's better for the people of New York to get, say, $300 to $400m (relatively) quickly and easily than a roomful of people spending years trawling through accounts and in court chasing the money though maze of LLCs and offshore holding companies to eventually get the full amount.

So it's annoying that another aspect of Trump's comeuppance is delayed again and it spoils the drama we were all hoping for this week. But I don't think it's some massive scandal.

Interesting article in Salon regarding Trump’s ongoing cognitive decline and how his dementia will only exacerbate his narcissism and sociopathy. He should be disallowed from running for president on grounds of mental defect. That there are no safety protocols in place for this level of public office is terrifying.

All of these Trump lies and and moronic statements are beyond me......a low life proudly states " I just grab their pussies" and becomes the President of Camp Granada, Haiti ,surely not the United states of America. So lets do it again!

Absolutely lacking morality and class. Zero leadership. Leaders of the free world you are having a laugh.

Interesting article in Salon regarding Trump’s ongoing cognitive decline and how his dementia will only exacerbate his narcissism and sociopathy. He should be disallowed from running for president on grounds of mental defect. That there are no safety protocols in place for this level of public office is terrifying.

Clearly Dr Gartner feels he is above any need to adhere to the "Goldwater Rule".

"On occasion psychiatrists are asked for an opinion about an individual who is in the light of public attention or who has disclosed information about himself/herself through public media. In such circumstances, a psychiatrist may share with the public his or her expertise about psychiatric issues in general. However, it is unethical for a psychiatrist to offer a professional opinion unless he or she has conducted an examination and has been granted proper authorization for such a statement."

And from The Alzheimer's Society, why diagnosing from afar is unhelpful.

Clearly Dr Gartner feels he is above any need to adhere to the "Goldwater Rule".

I think that changes because of a) the systemic evidence over many years and b) the overwhelming public interest in this case.

Also I don't think you need to be a medical doctor to see that Biden being old and frail is very different from what is happening with Trump which just looks pathological and likely neurological even to the lay person.

advertisement

Back