advertisement

Possible future products poll

Which of the following would most interest you?

• Mid priced MM only valve phono stage

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • High end MM/MC hybrid phono stage

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • High end-ish solid state MM/MC phono stage

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Cheapish headphone amp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upmarket headphone amp

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Turntable power supply for AC motor TT's

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Cheapish low powered mains regenerators (20W or so)

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
Actually, you're not.

If you want to be able to make and receive custom commissions (and I can certainly see the appeal of that) then you must first have an excellent reputation for quality, reliability and communication - such is not easy to achieve, but very easy to damage...

I would also say that whilst it is fine from an engineering point to build a prototype in a biscuit tin you can't then just say to people they can have a fancy case if they want it. Many people can't imagine the fancy case without seeing it and at least as many don't realise they want that case until it's infront of them. Unfortunately, there is a good reason why so many of today's hi-fi companies are backed by venture capatalists.

There's nowt wrong with the quality and reliability of anything I make I can assure you! There has been issues with lead times, which are hopefully sorted now....

Prototypes in basic off the shelf boxes will continue and the option of saving some money by having a basic case remains for those customers interested in this.
As a one man band with VERY little money I can't commission a range of fancy craftsman built cases for people to peruse at their leisure... for the time being. I am planning on having some extremely fancy cases in exotic hardwood's available soon though ;)

I didn't say there was, I'm simply saying what people want to feel reassured on when placing orders for bespoke components.

Jez there's a lot of AC motor decks out there, and a lot of shit £500 motor controllers out there. The DIY one I run is basically a dual mono class A amp contrôlée by a 16bit signal generator all with a USB based PC interface.

It's the tits...

Yeah (still gotta finish mine)- but there is still room for improvement (as Si outlined earlier).

Yeah (still gotta finish mine)- but there is still room for improvement (as Si outlined earlier).

Although I may produce a TT PSU for AC motors it would be a low distortion sine wave source with non of the bells and whistles mentioned by yourself and Simon... I don't do digital electronics. Period. Nothing using programming, or USB or DSP anyhow... There's enough possibilities in analogue to keep me busy so I'll let others get on with the digital side of things :)

Prototypes in basic off the shelf boxes will continue and the option of saving some money by having a basic case remains for those customers interested in this.
As a one man band with VERY little money I can't commission a range of fancy craftsman built cases for people to peruse at their leisure... for the time being. I am planning on having some extremely fancy cases in exotic hardwood's available soon though ;)

I didn't pay much attention, but I believe I saw some nice-looking amplifier cases for not much money, from China, on UK e-bay the other day.

I would want anything I bought to be in a reasonable, though not exotic, case.

Although I may produce a TT PSU for AC motors it would be a low distortion sine wave source with non of the bells and whistles mentioned by yourself and Simon... I don't do digital electronics. Period. Nothing using programming, or USB or DSP anyhow... There's enough possibilities in analogue to keep me busy so I'll let others get on with the digital side of things :)

I don't know about other TT's but on the LP12, the Linn Radikal has shown there's big scope for improvement over Lingo / Geddon. I would think there's a pretty good market of people who want to upgrade but can't or won't shell out £2800 for a Radikal.

advertisement

Back