advertisement

Please recommend banana plugs for solid core cable

gregory lynch

pfm Member
Good day, just picked up some solid core cable but the plugs I have are the screw type, they do the job but would I better off getting them soldered, I can do it myself but are any makes to look out for. Thanks.

^ that works - but you do need a powerful soldering iron, 40w+ , to carry it off without damaging things.
Such things are cheap enough it's worth buying one, to get it right first time - given the cost of plugs etc.

(the easiest way to damage anything by soldering in electronics, - is to not have enough power at the 'bit'.
A 15-20w iron held in contact, in vain, will be melting /shrink-back insulation, long-before the job gets done.
NB same is even true for tiny surface-mount parts - big heat, instant fix, no collateral damage!)

Thanks for that advice especially back screw first, then solder, i had better check the wattage of my soldering iron as well.
Once again, thanks guys.

I've used Furutech banana plugs in the past for thicker cables. They have the advantage of two screws to secure the cable and I've not had any problems with cables coming undone. I'm sure that there are other makes too that use more than one retaining screw should you want to avoid a soldering approach.

Pah. I use bog standard bananas from the drawer; I also use them for measuring. No need for anything expensive. Just solder them that’s all.
Don’t believe the hype, keep your money, don’t buy Furutech, don’t use silver solder. 😉
But seriously, just make sure the plugs are clean and the copper shiny.
Avoid plugs that have a tiny contact surface too.

advertisement

Back