advertisement

playing records when 1 arm in plaster

Depends on where the plaster is, I’m sure I managed with a Scaphoid that left finders exposed and a flexible elbow, though it was 35 years ago. More recently I had extensive burns to one hand (I have a picture but I’ll spare you), the dressing covered the fingers of that hand in gauze. The reduced friction resulted in a couple of discs escaping and landing on a sharp corner of the low platform my TT ps sat on. Got some nice deep and quite long scratches on those, A Schubert Trio and a Rachmaninoff concerto.

Years ago I broke my elbow AND the Humerus AND Ulna. So my dominant arm was totally spangled. For about 3 months. Pins & wires all over the place.
Other than when music loving mates came over, I was on a diet of CD’s only. ( this was pre-streaming days).
So I feel your pain!

It sounds like the plaster cast is temporary, so why risk damaging both valuable vinyl and or domestic harmony, just for a few months' worth of listening?

CDs or streaming, surely?

Perhaps a good chance to explore streaming, if you have not yet done so? 🌴🛋️🍸

so, how? could ask partner but concerned where greasy palms may infect the clean vinyl. any ideas or is it cd etc only now.
I feel your pain. I've trashed more than one expensive record by dropping it down the back taking it from the sleeve. Hope it's not you stronger arm, it's worse doing everything with your wrong hand, while record decks are made for the right handed!

I feel your pain. I've trashed more than one expensive record by dropping it down the back taking it from the sleeve. Hope it's not you stronger arm, it's worse doing everything with your wrong hand, while record decks are made for the right handed!

fortunately I am cack-handed.

Depends on where the plaster is, I’m sure I managed with a Scaphoid that left finders exposed and a flexible elbow, though it was 35 years ago. More recently I had extensive burns to one hand (I have a picture but I’ll spare you), the dressing covered the fingers of that hand in gauze. The reduced friction resulted in a couple of discs escaping and landing on a sharp corner of the low platform my TT ps sat on. Got some nice deep and quite long scratches on those, A Schubert Trio and a Rachmaninoff concerto.
broken wrist here and unable to use hand or turn arm. only another 3 weeks to go.

Play 45s? Always thought it'd be worth giving one's right arm to be ambidextrous, but not even that solves your problem. Other operative with gloves or vice versa is your only option here, but I can envisage annoyance when the run-out groove is reached. May be worth 20 minutes or so of Nirvana, then revert to CDs. :D
😂

advertisement

Back