advertisement

PL12D or Sansui 222 mk 1 ?

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
I was selling a Nakamichi csassette deck here but there was no interest.

Then I came by a nice pair Mission speakers so I thought it would be a bright idea to put together a whole system

So I added a Rotel 921 amp and a very nice soundstyle rack. Still no interest but then I found a buyer for the Nak. He came down by train and was very happy. Then he let me know he collected Nak tape decks and "had the one with the sloping front" whichever one that is.
So back to square one.
I thought I could sell the system with a cdp in it but still no joy (Arcam Alpha 7se....already have the Arcam Alpha 8 so need for 2 cdps).

So my latest idea is to sell a vinyl system so I hunted down a cheap tt. Enquired at local Hi Fi shop for a doofer with a £100 budget but all they could offer was a Garrard thing and a Dual neither of which floated my boat.
I remembered once having a Sansui SR 222 mk II which was rather nice, the black polished plinth version, so looked around and snagged a mk 1 on ebay.
I think I prefer it to my bog standard PL12D

So my starter system now comprises Rotel 921, Mission 761, PL12D and Arcam Alph 7se

I prefer the Sansui SR 222 to the PL12D. Its so simple and it does the trick.

The SR222 was a lovely deck back in the day, looked a bit more prestige than the PL12d. I opted for a KD1033b as my first deck back in the 70’s.

Not done AB but I've owned PL12D and a mate has a Sansui SR222. I think the Sansui is better, but that's on the basis of lidtening at different times on different systems, so not relly worth much.

The Sansui has three benefits over the PL12 for me. First there a re 2 rca sockets on the back instead of a captive phono lead. So I can use a decent interconnect.
Second is that it has a little adjustment screw under the speed change lever so if it rubs on the belt the position can be adjusted. How many decks have that? When I unpacked and set the deck up there was a slight rubbing noise. Thought I might need to report a minor issue but then noticed the screw....job done.
Third is the arm lift is part of the arm assembly with a nice little lever, not the slider arm lift like on the PL12.
The Sansui just speaks quality to me, not like the Pioneer which speaks competancy and no more.

The PL12D's replacement, the PL512, was contemporary with the SR222, and was of similar construction (ie solid plinth, no springs) if a bit cheaper and nastier. I was in the trade when the SR222 was current, and the PL12D was long gone. The SR222 was always on order and we used to get two or three at a time every few months. People used to come in every other day asking if we had one, such was the enthusiasm of the comics at the time.

My flatmate had a PL12D back then and my Ariston RD11E wiped the floor with it. He then got a S/H RP3 with S-shaped arm which wiped the floor with both.

I'd say that the SR222 was better than the PL12D, despite never having listened to the pair side by side. I had the use of a Dual CS502 at the time (fixing for a friend) and rather liked it.

Entry level Japanese gear around 1980ish was not at its best IMO, with everything being built down to a cost, more so than in the '70s.

PL12D was my first 'proper' turntable (I think for about £40 with cartridge) - unfortunately not long after it's 1st anniversary the motor mounts collapsed resulting in a horrible motor drone - this failure was the reason for my buying my first really good turntable a Michell Hydraulic Ref (for £95 from Lasky's) which ran for 25 years in my system before me selling it.

I had a Sp 25 mk ' whatever' first and then moved on to the PL12D.
The PL12D was a lot better! I remember owning the SR222 too,
I preferred the Sansui to the Pioneer. I'd go with the Sansui

And then I bought a proper turntable! The Linn LP12.:D:cool:🤭.

The PL12D's replacement, the PL512, was contemporary with the SR222, and was of similar construction (ie solid plinth, no springs) if a bit cheaper and nastier. I was in the trade when the SR222 was current, and the PL12D was long gone. The SR222 was always on order and we used to get two or three at a time every few months. People used to come in every other day asking if we had one, such was the enthusiasm of the comics at the time.

My flatmate had a PL12D back then and my Ariston RD11E wiped the floor with it. He then got a S/H RP3 with S-shaped arm which wiped the floor with both.

I'd say that the SR222 was better than the PL12D, despite never having listened to the pair side by side. I had the use of a Dual CS502 at the time (fixing for a friend) and rather liked it.

Entry level Japanese gear around 1980ish was not at its best IMO, with everything being built down to a cost, more so than in the '70s.
I thought the PL112D came after the PL12D and the PL512 after the PL112D. The PL112D was actually quite a good deck and very popular at the time.

I've had my PL12d since early the 1970s . I've changed the belt twice, someone on fleabay wants £280 for the same thing,ffs.

Another vote for the Sansui 222 here. It sounded better than the couple of Pioneer PL12 variants that I had. A bonus with the 222mkii is that the looks do not scream "vintage" if vintage is not what you want. Having said all that, there are so many PL12 upgrades, but where do you stop upgrading a budget item when the same money might buy a turntable at the next level?

I had an SR222 mark one before getting a Linn Axis.
Tbh I didnt think at the time that the Axis was a massive upgrade. Lol 🤷‍♂️
Such is the power of the press and our Expectations.

It looked good and was nice to use but I did have a problem with the arm bearings becoming loose, over time.

Are you buying stuff to bundle with other stuff in the hope of selling the lot then?
Yep......PL12D, Rotel 921, Mission 761, Arcam Alpha 7se and a Soundstyle Rack. Would make a perfect starter system. I shall swap the tts around and then can make photos for the classified hereabouts.

advertisement

Back