advertisement

Pink Triangle Da Capo - the only one

owl

pfm Member
After the demise of the wam it’s good to be back on a friendly and humorous Hifi forum. Back in 1993 or 1994 I listened to a pink triangle da capo, a Michell pre and Alecto power amps into Esl63 and gradient subs. It was at one of the Heathrow shows. I was mesmerised at the time due to its sense of coherence, fluid/analogue sound and it seeming right and with a huge soundstage. 2 years ago I bought a da capo in good condition and have loved it since. It’s fed by a cec cd player, into a mbl integrated amp and Wilson Duette 2s. The da capo blows away the cec internal dac (ess sabre), by sounding a lot more fluid, less shiny and bright and with a much taller and deeper soundstage. It’s just a matter of time before the da capo dies, and I don’t know what I will do to replace it then.

... The da capo blows away the cec internal dac (ess sabre), by sounding a lot more fluid, less shiny and bright and with a much taller and deeper soundstage. It’s just a matter of time before the da capo dies, and I don’t know what I will do to replace it then.
The things that die with time in electronics are most likely heat & time related: and that means capacitors, affecting the power supply, loss of supply voltage and so-on.
As such - with care it is very likely fixable, on that day. Do not despair!

Didn't this have separate DAC or filter modules that you could plug in to taste?

In the 90s I certainly lusted after one. The rich man's DPA DAC.

In the mid/late 1990's I had a DECAPO with HDCD, optical and coax bnc inputs fed by a PIONEER LD player (CD and LD playback) into QUAD ESL 63 and REL subs. Creek passive pre and EXPOSURE IV DR pwr.
Quite possibly the best SQ I ever had but sadly all gone by the early 2000's (except LD player).

A few years ago I stumbled across a DECAPO for sale localy, checked it out and works fine even the caps are good which is the major problem with these units. Still haven't dug out the LD player.

Redhill Audio used to be the good/best place for servicing and suitable upgrades but their web site seems compromised according to FIREFOX
This is the link I had saved but be carefull as it may be a problem

"redhillaudio.co.uk/pink-triangle-servicing-upgrades/pink-triangle-dacapo-repair-upgrade-stage-1"

edit... Don't use RedhillAudio as it loos like the business has severe problems atm thanks Nigel

Last edited:
I can't help but think much of the good sound you are enjoying is down to the CEC transport . I partner my CEC with a Naim Dac and XPS power supply ( in a Naim system ) both are now long discontinued legacy products with falling second hand prices . Before that the CEC was used with a Sugden Dac 4 and a old Rega Io , clamshell Dac . They all worked extremely well with the CEC . In my second kitchen system I use a Rega Dac-r , another very good Dac .

advertisement

Back